Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overcrowding in the garage!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike D.
I'm sure many of you have had this "problem" at one time or another. smile.gif Probably hit the 356Registry Swap in March to unload some junk, dry.gif uh er, I mean nice slightly used Porsche parts.
Mike D.
All the cabinets and the attac above the garage have also filled in with parts! I don't know how this keeps happening. I had to tell the wife that 914 parts know they are rare and multiply like rabbits when nobody is looking. biggrin.gif
stock93
It's critical be to organized with parts to keep clutter to a minimum. Cheap plastic totes from HD are really nice to keep things together. It makes stuff stack up on shelves better to be able to make the most of space. I have one thing that helps with engines on stands. It's a set of shelves that are built where the bottom shelf is high enough to be able roll an engine underneath them while it's still on a stand. At one point I had 5 engines that were not in vehicles in my garage. Getting rid of all of it isn't a good solution either because you'll of course need one of whatever you got rid of recently.
moparrob
QUOTE(stock93 @ Jan 30 2011, 04:16 PM) *
Getting rid of all of it isn't a good solution either because you'll of course need one of whatever you got rid of recently.

agree.gif
As Murphy's law would have it, you usually end up needing the thing you just threw out within a week of that date.

headbang.gif
bandjoey
My address is........ drooley.gif
Some cool parts there. Get a HF Car garage to put behind the house for storage.
carr914
That looks pretty roomy in there compared to mine
TJB/914
Mike-D, cool parts stash!!!!

Here's a tip from your senior member. first.gif I learned this long ago, when you have limited garage space & the wife needs her car space.

Listen up now. popcorn[1].gif Never collect heavy iron, motors, etc. they take up space and they are always available when needed (cheap). Collect small hard to find & rare stuff that cost big bucks, like Chrome Bumpers, Fuchs, S.S.heat exhangers, D-Jet F.I. parts, MPS's any NOS stuff, Rare accessory rear fog lights happy11.gif That was for my 914-buddy Pat grouphug.gif It's the little/small things that cost the most when you restore your 914.

Tom
Mike D.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Thanks for all the advice! I do plan on thinning things out a bit. Forgot to mention there is also a '71 Type 3 Squareback parked next to the house. It will be getting resto to "nice" DD status, with a 2.0 T4 914 engine of course!
IPB Image
ClayPerrine
You have just learned the first law of 914 ownership.

If you take your 914 apart and put it back together enough times, you will eventually have enough parts left over to build another 914.

I have taken our two apart enough times that I probably have enough parts to build 4 more.

jesiv
I see the problem... The Fan is taking up too much room piratenanner.gif
hasaramat
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 1 2011, 08:12 PM) *

You have just learned the first law of 914 owners.

I have taken our two apart enough times that I probably have enough parts to build 4 more.

Sort of like the bread and the fishes! IT'S A MIRICLE! It proves these cars are sent to us from heaven.
charliew
I will use the lower motor buggies like the ones for sbc's that bolt to the motor mounts to get the motors under shelves and I think I will buy some of the furniture dollys from hf to put the flat bottom ones on or the ones in boxes. I probably have too many motors. But I need to build some 4 x 8 two level shelves to get my lighter parts up in order to get more parts. You can never have too many good parts bought pennys on the dollar hopefully. I need a neat way to store 901's and suby trannys also that would let me roll them around. The 901's are for the vw based toys.
flash914
I'm looking for a power unit for my 70 914-4 the dirty on the ground upfor sale I'm in littlerock ca. Email me at flash2point@yahoo.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.