Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trfrick
What air filter is used in a 73 1.7L? I have not been able to find it listed anywhere.
Thanks
detoxcowboy
022 129 620 filter element (pic for refence only, I do not know who makes the best or ect.)
Click to view attachment

Just a quick hit on google show Stoddard Carries them, though Stoddard is not cheap and would be your high I belive as prtices would go.. actually found 2 places and they arew same price so?? google part#'s when you get stuck.. also check vw sites..

but they are out there..

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopdisplaypr...intenance+Parts

http://www.porschepartscounter.com/product...key_model=11954

ebay but it looks different kn but maybe seller puts up wrong pic because description is dead on./. happens..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-E-2381-...sQ5fAccessories

here is kn site for 914, and i can see the filter on the top but you check ort call for listing..
http://www.knfilters.com/air_filter/porsche_914.aspx
dr914@autoatlanta.com
one year only so the filter was and is hard to find as suppliers did not want to gear up to make it. Bosch used to after mann stopped. Factory ones are available and expensive. However they are commonly available through NAPA and that is where we get ours. Some obscure old bmw filter or something. We order them in bulk

QUOTE(trfrick @ Jan 30 2011, 04:13 PM) *

What air filter is used in a 73 1.7L? I have not been able to find it listed anywhere.
Thanks

Rod
I used this one...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1281051
Cap'n Krusty
My opinion of K&N air "filters", based on actual research and decades of professional experience, is pretty well known around here. I wouldn't use one on my bicycle. An old sock stretched over the throttle body would be nearly as effective.

Spring cleaning is about to happen, and I may yet find the air cleaner housing, the inlet tube, and my last remaining air filter element.

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 31 2011, 07:18 PM) *

My opinion of K&N air "filters", based on actual research and decades of professional experience, is pretty well known around here. I wouldn't use one on my bicycle. An old sock stretched over the throttle body would be nearly as effective.

Spring cleaning is about to happen, and I may yet find the air cleaner housing, the inlet tube, and my last remaining air filter element.

The Cap'n

We all know your feeling about K&N air filters.
How about you share your solution to the clients that come in with that air cleaner housing and need to replace the filter....what do you tell them?

Do you know of a filter that would work as the Doc mentions?

Rich
SirAndy
I thought we had a thread here a few years back that concluded that those "replacement" filters (from K&N, NAPA etc.) are *not* tall enough and leave a gap inside the housing allowing dirt to freely bypass the filter ...

stirthepot.gif
detoxcowboy
FYI I just put up the KN filter is you had no other choice.. I don't use them and won't use them.
r_towle
can you post some detailed measurements of that filter?

Rich
914 shifter
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2011, 06:59 AM) *

one year only so the filter was and is hard to find as suppliers did not want to gear up to make it. Bosch used to after mann stopped. Factory ones are available and expensive. However they are commonly available through NAPA and that is where we get ours. Some obscure old bmw filter or something. We order them in bulk

QUOTE(trfrick @ Jan 30 2011, 04:13 PM) *

Thanks

part # c'mon you know cheer.gif bs.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I have two left, and the last one I sold went to my only remaining customer with a '73 1.7. I would buy them from Stoddard.

The Cap'n
black73
Go to this website.
http://www.champlabs.com/
Select "Catalog".
Select "Champion Laboratories Online Catalog"
Select !973 Porsche 914 1.7
Select "Filters"
You will see "AF 103" listed under air filter.
Select "AF 103" and "Attributes"

Part Number: AF103
Applications
Volkswagen (1973-74) (Volkswagen 022-129-620)

Replacement Dimensions

Description:
Inches [ MM ]
O.D.: 8.06 [205mm]
Height: 3.22 [82mm]
I.D.: 4.94 [125mm]

Mann Filters C2180 Dimensions

Description:
MM
O.D.: 207.0mm
Height: 82.0mm
I.D.: 124.0mm

cheer.gif shades.gif
If you want to buy, return to the Home page.
Under "Products" look for "Where To Buy".

HTH
914 shifter
any opinions on the msds filters
realred914
you could back date to an oil bath aircleaner. no more pricey filter exchanges.

doug_b_928
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2011, 06:56 PM) *

I thought we had a thread here a few years back that concluded that those "replacement" filters (from K&N, NAPA etc.) are *not* tall enough and leave a gap inside the housing allowing dirt to freely bypass the filter ...

stirthepot.gif

So, what came of this? I recall reading in another thread that the NAPA 2011 and NAPA 2909 filters work. Can anyone confirm that these filters are the correct size, including, as per SirAndy's post, height? Also, it appears that NAPA Canada does not use these part numbers. If one or both of these are correct, has anyone found the correct part number at NAPA in Canada (if they even carry it)?
TIA
Kaduku
QUOTE(trfrick @ Jan 30 2011, 03:13 PM) *

Thanks

AA has them for 15 bucks
doug_b_928
Post #3 in this thread says AA gets theirs from NAPA, but SirAndy's post suggests that the NAPA filters may not be tall enough??
eyesright
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Nov 8 2013, 11:14 PM) *

QUOTE(trfrick @ Jan 30 2011, 03:13 PM) *

Thanks

AA has them for 15 bucks

Its been more than a year now, but I ordered one from AA....and it didn't fit. I called them and her response was, "hmmm...that's never happened before" and they sent me another one. That's good service I guess but with no investigation you can guess the out come. The next one arrived and it was identical to the first, too tall and too big around.

So I called again. They asked for photos and said they would call me back after they got a look at things. I emailed photos of the filter in the housing and photos of the 914 number on the housing just so there was no confusion about the housing. No call back so after a week or so I called. It was strange,... he said the same response as the first person I talked to a couple of weeks earlier, "this has never happened before". That's fine, I believe them but it doesn't solve my problem.

He said there was some mistake about the housings and I told my story of pulling them from '73's at a 914 junk yard. He questioned whether they were some sort of Audi parts or something and I reminded him about the numbers clearly shown in the photos, pulled -- by me -- from '73 cars. He sort of stumbled that there was still some sort of mistake, something wrong about the housings, and then silence. It was obvious this conversation was over. He didn't want the parts back so they could investigate things. He wasn't going to pull a filter from the shelf and try it on one of their '73 housings.....I mumbled a, "thanks for your help", just trying not to be awkward.

So my '72 still has an oil bath, and I have two filters on my shelf that don't fit and two '73 housings that are some cosmic joke perpetrated by Mr. Mxyzptlk on his latest visit from the 5th dimension or some such thing, I guess. And they have my $15 + shipping or whatever it was.

I've stayed away from the AA conversations -- my experience has been about 50% with them.

I suspect they just got a miss-shipment from NAPA or something that I hope has gotten cleared up by now. If you find a filter, let us know. I need one too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.