Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
I can not locate any threads on this topic and I have never done this before.
I can see the bottom bolt but cannot see the top one. Do I have to unbolt it from inside the engine compartment?
phatnine11
QUOTE(tomh @ Jan 30 2011, 09:26 PM) *

I can not locate any threads on this topic and I have never done this before.
I can see the bottom bolt but cannot see the top one. Do I have to unbolt it from inside the engine compartment?

Tomh,
you are correct, you unbolt the top bolt from inside the engine compartment.
914itis
yup, and because of the lenght of the bolt, after unbolt, you may have to pull the starter back a bit, then pull the bolt all the way out.
detoxcowboy
disconect the battery! biggrin.gif once you find the top bolt, it is a piece of cake..
76-914
welcome.png Yep, and if your working by yourself place a boxed end wrench over the bolt head in the engine compartment. It will wedge against the engine as you loosen the nut.
Cap'n Krusty
Don't get too frustrated if the box wrench won't fit over the bolt because the part of the starter casting meant to hold the bolt head gets in the way ...............

The Cap'n
underthetire
And the job is much easier if you pull the tire, unless your on a lift. As the capn said, just unbolt the top one from the engine side, the starter flange will hold the head of the bolt for you. Then pull the bottom nut. Pops right off. After all the "lifetime" flaps starters I can now do one in less than 15 minutes.
erwindv
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 31 2011, 05:57 PM) *

And the job is much easier if you pull the tire, unless your on a lift. As the capn said, just unbolt the top one from the engine side, the starter flange will hold the head of the bolt for you. Then pull the bottom nut. Pops right off. After all the "lifetime" flaps starters I can now do one in less than 15 minutes.

To undo the upper bolt means that I first have to remove the engine cover ( 022 119 517 R ) in the motor compartment to get to the starter?
erwindv
QUOTE(erwindv @ Jun 11 2018, 10:32 AM) *

To undo the upper bolt means that I first have to remove the engine cover ( 022 119 517 R ) in the motor compartment to get to the starter?

Solved, stupid me, saw het picture on the thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1327859

It 's "really" from the inside of the motor compartment.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(erwindv @ Jun 11 2018, 03:58 AM) *

Solved, stupid me, saw het picture on the thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1327859

Yes it is. On the 914-6/911 there are studs in the engine case and the starter is unbolted from underneath. On the 914-4, it is unbolted from on top. If you fuel injection on a 1.7 or 1.8, it is easier if you remove the throttle body first.
erwindv
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 11 2018, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(erwindv @ Jun 11 2018, 03:58 AM) *

Yes it is. On the 914-6/911 there are studs in the engine case and the starter is unbolted from underneath. On the 914-4, it is unbolted from on top. If you fuel injection on a 1.7 or 1.8, it is easier if you remove the throttle body first.

If I remove the throttle body, is it just a "bolt off - bolt on" job or something more complicated?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.