Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 Custom Color?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
badboybear
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

To sirandy and co. Here are the pics you indicated that we should take so they could possibly be added as a new color for 1976 914 custom color chart?

I will do this in 2 post due to picture size...yikes

M&T914
badboybear
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here are 2 additional pics for comments/review

M&T914
DanT
looks very much like the metallic brown Porsche used on the 911s in the later '70s...
75-77. biggrin.gif
Probably was a paint to match order...
SirAndy
Why two threads??? confused24.gif

Merged into one thread ...
type.gif
DanT
maybe Topaz Metallic?
TROJANMAN
I think this is the rare sparkly poop color.
McMark
Huh... this 71 914/6 is the same color. Although, this one was silver originally. But it appears whoever painted it was looking through the Porsche color book. thumb3d.gif
NORD

Do we have the never seen but only rumored that there may been

Grasshopper? lol-2.gif
rick 918-S
Very interesting. I can't find anything for this paint code. 98 It is likely a 911 color. I would send for the factory build info.
Tom_T
12/75 build date, and it looks to be about 600 before the last 76 MY rolled off the line at 4762903801 - since there were only about 4400 76's.

More correctly than a "Custom Color" - the #98 paint code indicated a special order paint color from one of the other 911/912E paint colors offered that model year, but not offered "stock" on the 914s.

Whereas, paint code #99 was a Special order to customer request or color match to any other color not offered that model year on any other Porsches, including prior year's colors of Porsches that were no longer offered.

Black and all Metallic Colors on 914s were also an additional charge "Special Color".

It looks like the color my buddies 76 911 was - that Copper Brown Metallic you found someone mentioned on the other post of your 2 914s. I've never seen it on a 914, and it looks pretty nice IMHO, and I'm not even a brown car guy myself!

No one else here has seen it on a 914 so far (as the OE factory paint), so it could be a one of a kind color choice by the original buyer. piratenanner.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 31 2011, 09:03 PM) *

Very interesting. I can't find anything for this paint code. 9 S I would send for the factory build info.

blink.gif ... it's 98 Rick.

It's still worth calling to PCNA's 800# to ask COA to look up that VIN's info and have them check if the Kardex listed the actual paint used paint code, and read off the engine & transaxle case nos. to get a yes or no as to whether it's numbers matching - then decide where to pop for the cost of a COA. I'll bet Kristen Rochford would do it for him, if he asked nice, or maybe his wife, since it's her 914.
badboybear
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2011, 06:50 PM) *

Why two threads??? confused24.gif

Merged into one thread ...
type.gif

I don't know Andy...still learning to get around in here. Does it appear to be a new color for 914's? My wife is so excited that she possibly has a "SPECIAL" color car?

thanks again,

M&T914
badboybear
QUOTE(NORD @ Jan 31 2011, 08:40 PM) *

Grasshopper? lol-2.gif

Yes Grasshopper it appears to be... aktion035.gif

M&T914
scotty b

Grasshopper? lol-2.gif

the grasshoppr was white and green. I believe this may be the even rarer cricket. Rumored to be metallic brown with black trim, and black Fuchs rolleyes.gif

Somone needs to build a cricket now poke.gif
carr914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 1 2011, 09:31 AM) *

Grasshopper? lol-2.gif

the grasshoppr was white and green. I believe this may be the even rarer cricket. Rumored to be metallic brown with black trim, and black Fuchs rolleyes.gif

I'm thinking the Cockroach or the A&W RootBeer car
Scott S
Is that the same as this? I cant tell if the car below has any metallic in it....
Ferg
76 was the first year for Copper Brown Metallic, so I don't think so Scott, unless that 916 was a color change, looks to dark... now I"ll have to see what Metallic browns were available in 72 biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 1 2011, 06:48 AM) *

Very interesting. I can't find anything for this paint code. 9 S I would send for the factory build info.

It's still worth calling to PCNA's 800# to ask COA to look up that VIN's info and have them check if the Kardex listed the actual paint used paint code, and read off the engine & transaxle case nos. to get a yes or no as to whether it's numbers matching - then decide where to pop for the cost of a COA. I'll bet Kristen Rochford would do it for him, if he asked nice, or maybe his wife, since it's her 914.

I zoomed in on it and the 8 looked like an "S"... I should know better too. screwy.gif I went back and edited my post. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 1 2011, 04:44 AM) *
More correctly than a "Custom Color" - the #98 paint code indicated a special order paint color from one of the other 911/912E paint colors offered that model year, but not offered "stock" on the 914s.

Whereas, paint code #99 was a Special order to customer request or color match to any other color not offered that model year on any other Porsches, including prior year's colors of Porsches that were no longer offered.

That's why we don't call it "Custom Color" ... shades.gif

98 - Custom Porsche Color
L98 - Custom Porsche Color
99 - Color to Sample

badboybear
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 1 2011, 06:31 AM) *

Grasshopper? lol-2.gif

Somone needs to build a cricket now poke.gif

On the sides that hold the top it has or did have some type of black fabric on it???? Was that part of the original paint/body back then? Can send pics up close if need be.
badboybear
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 1 2011, 08:28 AM) *

Is that the same as this? I cant tell if the car below has any metallic in it....

It sure looks like that color? I had our friend do the paint code for 911 it is 443 76 to 80 porsche color, but when I came home & painted a small area over clear tape it appears darker than what the car is? Even an area we cleaned & polished to take off any oxidization. Pulled a couple of chips/flakes and will take to friend this weekend.

What the heck color is it Batman?

M&T914
badboybear
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 1 2011, 08:59 AM) *

76 was the first year for Copper Brown Metallic, so I don't think so Scott, unless that 916 was a color change, looks to dark... now I"ll have to see what Metallic browns were available in 72 biggrin.gif

Did a copper brown metallic per porsche 911 paint code 443, it is darker than what is on wifes car? I had our body guy make up some per the code and it is darker. What color could it be? I took a couple of paint chips from hood to give to friend this week and see what else he comes up with?

We did clean & wax an area to take oxidization out, pretty color but lighter than copper brown metallic? Thanks Mike

M&T914
badboybear
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 1 2011, 10:34 AM) *

99 - Color to Sample

The 8 does look like an S now that it has been brought up?

signed;
Confused more than ever, LOL
badboybear
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 1 2011, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 1 2011, 06:48 AM) *

I zoomed in on it and the 8 looked like an "S"... I should know better too. screwy.gif I went back and edited my post. smile.gif

It's an 8....just checked by zooming in and went out to the car and it's an 8. Still confused. I did call PCA but tech guys were not in this morning, left message with lady that answered the phone?

badboybear
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 1 2011, 08:59 AM) *

I believe we know what it is now...we have also asked for a certificate of authenticity as well from PCA.

We found it on a "Special Colors" chart for 912/912E porsche 1976 Color Code 443-9-3 Copper Brown Diamond Metallic. FYI & thanks,

sixnotfour
Topaz poly 1976 VW color

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/chipdis...p;smodel=Beetle
rick 918-S
That's really cool! I wub.gif the custom colors. I have Two of three known Raspberry 914's. They are also code# 98. Special order Porsche color.
badboybear
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 1 2011, 09:26 PM) *

The color seems a little darker than that on the car. Thanks I'll take this chart to our friend to see what he comes up with. I think it is the 912 color from pics, but as well we'll have our friend check it out. We are also requesting a certificate of authenticity for it as well and that should say correct what the color is...right?

Mike
badboybear
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 1 2011, 09:35 PM) *

That's really cool! I wub.gif the custom colors. I have Two of three known Raspberry 914's. They are also code# 98. Special order Porsche color.

Thanks for the input...it is tough trying to figure this out. If it is a special order color then my wife does not want to change it...she is actually likeing it more & more with the original interior color of a cinnamon.
flipb
First, let me apologize for the hijacked.gif

On the paint chips website linked above, I found the colors below for 1974. On our 914s, 1974 was when L13M went from "Chrome Yellow" to "Saturn Yellow" - as far as I know, the actual color remained identical and only the name changed.

The chart below, for 1974, shows both Saturn Yellow (L13M, my color) and a much darker Chrome Yellow, labeled L20A.

SO - did L13M change from Chrome Yellow in 1972-73 to Saturn Yellow in 1974 in order to accomodate another color taking the name Chrome Yellow in the VW lineup? I've always wondered why the name change on L13M, this might explain it.

IPB Image
smg914
QUOTE(badboybear @ Feb 2 2011, 05:01 AM) *

The color seems a little darker than that on the car. Thanks I'll take this chart to our friend to see what he comes up with. I think it is the 912 color from pics, but as well we'll have our friend check it out. We are also requesting a certificate of authenticity for it as well and that should say correct what the color is...right?

Mike

Mike,

Unfortunately Porsche didn't keep record of the actual colors used on the paint code 98 color to sample cars. And believe me, I tried my best to get the color name documented. I have the COA and the original window sticker for my 98 code Sahara Beige 914 and neither of them mention the color name. They both only show; COLOR TO SAMPLE
badboybear
QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 2 2011, 06:41 AM) *

Mike

Mike,

Unfortunately Porsche didn't keep record of the actual colors used on the paint code 98 color to sample cars. And believe me, I tried my best to get the color name documented. I have the COA and the original window sticker for my 98 code Sahara Beige 914 and neither of them mention the color name. They both only show; COLOR TO SAMPLE

So is it a waste of money to get the COA if our goal is to have the color code? We can find nowhere as to the color or name & guessing on what we think it is. So if we believe it to be from the 912 or even the VW line of colors as you suggest then it is a new color to 914's?

Thanks,
M&T914
carr914
It may be a Waste of money if you are only doing it for the Color Code or Name, but the fact that you have a Code 98, it might be cool.

My problems with CoA's for the last five-ten years is they are highly inaccurate. The last 2 were so bad, I sent them back for a refund
badboybear
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 2 2011, 10:09 AM) *

It may be a Waste of money if you are only doing it for the Color Code or Name, but the fact that you have a Code 98, it might be cool.

My problems with CoA's for the last five-ten years is they are highly inaccurate. The last 2 were so bad, I sent them back for a refund

Well it might be cool but $ 110.00....well I guess we need to just bite the bullet & do it. Thanks ar15.gif
nathansnathan
Whether it is a porsche color or a vw color isn't the question, as the same color would be used on either, but called a different name, to clarify what someone probably already said. Since it is 98, to refer to it by the porsche name would be correct. In another post, scottyB was saying that some places won't have everything listed under the porsche names, but that if you ask for/ find it by the vw name/ code, you're getting the same thing.
badboybear
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 2 2011, 10:26 AM) *

Whether it is a porsche color or a vw color isn't the question, as the same color would be used on either, but called a different name, to clarify what someone probably already said. Since it is 98, to refer to it by the porsche name would be correct. In another post, scottyB was saying that some places won't have everything listed under the porsche names, but that if you ask for/ find it by the vw name/ code, you're getting the same thing.

OK...got, I understand now & thanks. These our the 1st porsche's we've ever had, we would like to restore as close to original as possible...we are already having lots of fun especially the learning part.
nathansnathan
I have learned so much here in the past 6 months, and I can say that you've come to the right place. You should also check out the classics threads if you haven't already. It is really cool, btw that you are keeping it the original.
smg914
QUOTE(badboybear @ Feb 2 2011, 09:36 AM) *

Mike

Mike,

So is it a waste of money to get the COA if our goal is to have the color code? We can find nowhere as to the color or name & guessing on what we think it is. So if we believe it to be from the 912 or even the VW line of colors as you suggest then it is a new color to 914's?

Thanks,
M&T914

Correct. The COA will not help you in that regard. However, it is still cool to have the "COLOR TO SAMPLE" option documented by the COA. I was fortunate enough to purchase my car from the original owner who not only knew the name of the color but the original LACKSTIFT touch up paint that came with the car was still in the glove compartment.
badboybear
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 2 2011, 10:45 AM) *

I have learned so much here in the past 6 months, and I can say that you've come to the right place. You should also check out the classics threads if you haven't already. It is really cool, btw that you are keeping it the original.

Thanks we as well have learned alot in just 2 weeks or so of being members...everyone has been great with info, comments and funnies..LOL

M&T914
badboybear
QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 2 2011, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(badboybear @ Feb 2 2011, 09:36 AM) *

Mike

Mike,

Thanks,
M&T914

Correct. The COA will not help you in that regard. However, it is still cool to have the "COLOR TO SAMPLE" option documented by the COA. I was fortunate enough to purchase my car from the original owner who not only knew the name of the color but the original LACKSTIFT touch up paint that came with the car was still in the glove compartment.

Thanks and by the way you have a really beautiful car....very nice first.gif
badboybear
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 1 2011, 10:34 AM) *

99 - Color to Sample

So Andy is this a new custom color for 914's? Do you need an acyual color code name/number? I checked with PCA they do not indicate what the color is only the number...if 98 then color to match or something like that. Let me know when you have a little bit of free time. Wife is very happy lol-2.gif to have what appears to be a unique color...especially to the 914's. I'm having fits hearing it from her hissyfit.gif
avidfanjpl
Steve's Sahara Beige is not nice, it's off the hook.

Seen it, drooled on it, had to remove my glasses so as not to scratch it, got dinner out of it, and he still orders my parts for me for AA.

All this after 40 years.

What could be nicer?

Well, Janie for one!

But, we love the man with the Cursed Disease!

Even though he infected me 38 years ago.

Orangina and The Green Horndog are a direct result of his being Typhoid Stevie.

And with 2 more on the way when the weather clears (944T and 911C), I am in deep doodoo.

J
SirAndy
QUOTE(badboybear @ Feb 4 2011, 07:17 AM) *
So Andy is this a new custom color for 914's? Do you need an acyual color code name/number?

It looks like it ... beerchug.gif

I added it to the color chart, but it would be great to get the exact color name, right now i'm just calling it "Metallic Brown" ...
idea.gif
badboybear
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2011, 10:24 AM) *

So Andy is this a new custom color for 914's? Do you need an acyual color code name/number?

I added it to the color chart, but it would be great to get the exact color name, right now i'm just calling it "Metallic Brown" ...
idea.gif

Thanks Andy...wife will be so dam happy! I might get....well you know? LOL. I expressed the color code but will confirm when I get to my auto & paint guy tomorrow, he did agree it is a Metallic Brown and will confirm the exact color code from Porsche when he does the paint in about 3 months....just before WCR in Medford, OR. Thanks and be in touch.

badboybear
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Feb 4 2011, 07:36 AM) *

Seen it, drooled on it, had to remove my glasses so as not to scratch it, got dinner out of it, and he still orders my parts for me for AA.

All this after 40 years.

What could be nicer?

Well, Janie for one!

And with 2 more on the way when the weather clears (944T and 911C), I am in deep doodoo.

J

That is a NICE color he has.....like it lots. smilie_pokal.gif
smg914
QUOTE(badboybear @ Feb 4 2011, 11:03 AM) *

idea.gif

Thanks Andy...wife will be so dam happy! I might get....well you know? LOL. I expressed the color code but will confirm when I get to my auto & paint guy tomorrow, he did agree it is a Metallic Brown and will confirm the exact color code from Porsche when he does the paint in about 3 months....just before WCR in Medford, OR. Thanks and be in touch.

I assume you do not have the original owners manuel that came with the car? If you do, the original owners name, address and phone number may be written in the back section of the manual. I recently purchased a 74 LE creamsicle that included the original owners manual. In the back just before the warranty section there is a customer identification section. My manual had this section all filled out including the First Owners Name/Address/Phone Number and Delivery Date 4-23-74. I picked up the phone and dialed the phone number. YOU GUESSED IT! The original owner answered the phone. I about fell off my chair. The same phone number for over 40 years. We had a great conversation. He's mailing me a 5X7 color photo of the car that was taken a few days after he bought it. How cool is that!
smg914
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Feb 4 2011, 07:36 AM) *

All this after 40 years.

What could be nicer?

Well, Janie for one!

J

Thanks John. Janie and I certainly enjoyed your visit.
Gustl
QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 5 2011, 05:44 AM) *

I assume you do not have the original owners manuel that came with the car? If you do, the original owners name, address and phone number may be written in the back section of the manual. I recently purchased a 74 LE creamsicle that included the original owners manual. In the back just before the warranty section there is a customer identification section. My manual had this section all filled out including the First Owners Name/Address/Phone Number and Delivery Date 4-23-74. I picked up the phone and dialed the phone number. YOU GUESSED IT! The original owner answered the phone. I about fell off my chair. The same phone number for over 40 years. We had a great conversation. He's mailing me a 5X7 color photo of the car that was taken a few days after he bought it. How cool is that!

almost the same with the Sporto that I had
the maintenance record showed the info from the 1st owner, an older sales contract showed the infos from the 2nd owner - and in both cases the adress data as well as the phone number were still correct
I contacted both of them and we had great talk

unfortunately I never got this old photos when the car still was signal orange (that the 2nd owner promised to send) sad.gif

gandalf_025
I had a 1977 930 Imported in the mid 80's and it was a Brown Metallic color. I think it was called "Rosewood Metallic". It was kind of a Root Beer color.. I'll try to find a picture of it.

Rosewood Metallic is paint code 474 on a 911 or 928
badboybear
QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 4 2011, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(badboybear @ Feb 4 2011, 11:03 AM) *

idea.gif

SWEET deal...that must have been awesome. Unfortuantely their was no manuals or any paperwork other than the titles from the guy we bought them from. We are really looking forward to doing this resto thing and then cruising around in them. The only thing we have in our favor is the car was not painted over and the color code plate & sticker were still intact. This has been good for our marriage as well beleive it or not....the kids have all moved out lol-2.gif and the wife seemed lost just going to work & back...now we both have something to do in regards to restoring the cars...she is so happy especially when she saw how Andy added her color to the 914 list of colors driving-girl.gif she can't wait till it gets the correct color name...thanks Andy!

Take care & we will update with pics, info, etc as new things are done to them....again your car is beautiful. Thanks beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.