Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stories from Iraq..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Something need4speed said reminded me...

Then there's the ROTAX 912 motor that's in the Predator UAV. . .

HEY! That reminds me. Two days ago, we had a UAV go **SMASH** right into the side of the hangar. The operator said that the engine was missing, and he lost control of it.

We heard it burn in... no missing, hiccups, hesitation. It didn't even swerve: just flew right into the top corner of a hangar and crunched into a million pieces. From what I heard they cost - each piece was worth about a dollar when it was done.

When the MI guys came to sweep up their mess, we tried to be helpful... We brought them some plywood and superglue - told em we could fix it right up. w00t.gif

(Kind of like when we showed up running to a tent fire a couple of weeks ago, carrying fuel cans saying, "We'll help put it out!" happy11.gif)

-Rusty smoke.gif
morgan
KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN OVER THERE
jm
DuckRyder
Yeah, we'd lot rather have you home safe than tents and UAVS.

And for god sakes leave all those damb spiders over there, I didn't sleep for two days after that, and to make matters worse, fuckin scorpion is hiding in my towel and pinches me on the fore head while I'm drying off.

He sorta looked like he was doing the backstroke in spider killer shortly there after...............

Any way, I digress.

Stay safe and thanks for what you do!!!
morph
Stay safe in iraq, I know things are getting a little rough in Fallujah right now. ar15.gif
davep
agree.gif

Keep your wits about you and trust no one.
wheelo
Thanks for the view from the front line Lawrence...
agree.gif Keep one eye open at all times ...
and... "Walk softly,but, carry a BIG stick !!!
Our Thoughts and Prayers for a safe return...
jonwatts
Hehe, that's great. I'm glad to hear that having a sense of humor and being in the military are not diametrically opposed.
4WheelDrifter
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Apr 28 2004, 03:21 AM)

HEY!  That reminds me.  Two days ago, we had a UAV go **SMASH** right into the side of the hangar.  The operator said that the engine was missing, and he lost control of it.

When the MI guys came to sweep up their mess, we tried to be helpful... We brought them some plywood and superglue - told em we could fix it right up.  :woohoo:

-Rusty  :toke:

The engine was missing? How'd it even fly? laugh.gif

You should have said "I can fix it. Relax, my Dads a TV repairman and has this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it"

Gotta love Spicoli

Be safe man! flag.gif
Eric_Shea
Rusty,

What's the "real" story over there. We see the shit on the news but; what do they really think of us? confused24.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 29 2004, 05:55 PM)
Hehe, that's great. I'm glad to hear that having a sense of humor and being in the military are not diametrically opposed.

With some of what happens in the Army on a daily basis, you NEED to have a sense of humor. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 29 2004, 09:47 PM)
What's the "real" story over there. We see the shit on the news but; what do they really think of us? confused24.gif

Geez, that question is a minefield all unto itself.

Personal opinion to follow... this is not an 'official statement'.

I've spent a lot of time in the middle east. While I'm no expert, I've learned some about Arab culture, and have Arab friends in Egypt and Saudi Arabia. I think the Arabs are like most any people... 95% of them are wonderful, peace loving people who want to have jobs, raise families, restore 914s (ooops, maybe not), etc...

I think that the average Iraqi is glad to have Saddam gone. On the other hand, many view us as an "occupying army." Schools, hospitals, roads, power and other infrastructre is in far better shape now than before the war. But, I'm sure they are as ready for us to leave their country as we want to come back to ours.

The problem we face now is the same one that we considered back in the first Gulf War: What happens in the power vacuum once Saddam has been ousted? It's a difficult question, and what the world doesn't need is someone as bad (or worse) than Saddam to take power here.

I hope this answers your question.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Eric_Shea
yupper... that'll do it. Kind of a combination of what I've heard, what I suspected and what's logical.

Thanks...
tracks914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 29 2004, 09:47 AM)
Rusty,

I watch American news, Canadian news and BBC. American news is better than it has been for 20+ years but it is still not as unbias as the other two.
What Rusty says is true but the other two news agencies do show alot more graphic what the "hell" American soldiers are living in over there and interviews with locals aren't as censored as is shown on US TV.
I feel for the soldiers over there fighting a war in the streets against enemies that are hard to distinguish from children and civilians. The soldiers have my full support and sympathy.pray.gif (unlike Bush - may he have to finally do his military service on the streets of Fallujah)
Good luck, keep your head down and remember, dead heros don't really get to come home.
Tx for what you are trying to do over there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.