Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Should I Replace My Rear Brake Lines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
I replaced my rear brake lines while I was in there and you can see why it is important to replace these every once and a while!! blink.gif

silver74insocal
total PIA!! care to elaborate on your method of removal?
SirAndy
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Feb 1 2011, 05:15 PM) *
care to elaborate on your method of removal?

Removal is easy ... sawzall-smiley.gif
tradisrad
I dont recall the removal being a PIA, what part did or are you struggling with?
gothspeed
They don't look too bad, they still have a small open flow path biggrin.gif wink.gif
Jeffs9146
Easy!

1. Take the motor out
2. R&R the brake lines
3. Put the motor back in

Easy! beer3.gif

The motor was already out so it was the time to do it! happy11.gif

They don't look too bad, they still have a small open flow path

One was more open but the other is very small!!
Eric_Shea

One of the worst jobs in a 914.

Cut them off by the top connection and use a deep well 14mm (I think) to remove.

Clips will hold you up. Use ViseGrips to hold and tap them off with a hammer.

Have an 11mm Flare available for the top hardline. You may be able to access through one of the engine shelf holes. Heat is your friend so you don't bend the NLA hardlines.

It really is much easier with the engine out.
John
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 1 2011, 05:58 PM) *

One of the worst jobs in a 914.

Cut them off by the top connection and use a deep well 14mm (I think) to remove.

Clips will hold you up. Use ViseGrips to hold and tap them off with a hammer.

Have an 11mm Flare available for the top hardline. You may be able to access through one of the engine shelf holes. Heat is your friend so you don't bend the NLA hardlines.

It really is much easier with the engine out.

Were the rear hard lines ever really available? I have made my own. I typically buy metric lines and flare them myself. The bubble flares aren't that hard to make.
FourBlades
It also helps a lot to flip your car upside down before doing this.
biggrin.gif

John
underthetire
And for any non believers, the outsides looked fine.
brp986s
Watch these lines while someone steps on the brake pedal. I had one of those that looked normal until pressurized and it swelled 50%! Huge aneurism ready to burst.

And, the hard lines were available atleast until recently. I bought one from Porsche all nicely pre-bent. Dropped right in no muss, no fuss.
VaccaRabite
How old were those?

I did mine a 2 years ago, curious on how long they last. I am guessing about 30 years for some. But I bet they should be replaced sooner then that.

Zach
Jeffs9146
I don't know how old they were, they look original (note the metal strap around each one)!!

I purchased the car 2 1/2 months ago and the rear brakes were locked up!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.