Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rotisserie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I waited as long as I could. I dropped the wad ( well chase credit card did temporarily ) and bought the steel. Most of it I got cut to length, but there was still a fair amount I got long because I knew I would end up altering things as I went....I usually do dry.gif 641.40 worth on the floor. I saved over 120.00 by digging thought the drops for 2 hours, and refiguring my original plans on the spot in order to make use of the drop pile.

Now I should probably say, before you guys think I am totally nuts, I am building this thing to handle ANY car that comes to me. I do American stuff as well, so just in case someone shows up with a '59 Cadillac coupe Deville, I nned to know I can flip it safely shades.gif

Started out by marking and pilot drilling the uprights for the lockdown holes, then step drilled them out to 3/4 inch
scotty b
Welded the bottom legs together. Rear is 3x3 1/4 wall, front is 3x4 1/4 wall. This was the first change I made. There wasn't enough 3x3 in the drop pile but I found the 3x4. That kept me from having to buy 2 full lengths of 3x3. Cha CHING !!

Then I cut some 3x2 angle into short brakets to make a stable bolting setup in order to disassemble the whole thing for storage or moving. Drilled the tabs for bolt holes, and went back to welding welder.gif
scotty b
Cut and drilled some 4x4 box for the sliders

Forgot to take some pictures unsure.gif

Ended up getting the master machinist down in the complex to line bore some schedule 80 [pipe out so I could slip fit a pice of 2 3/8" o.d pipe in it

Drilled a shartload more holes

Tacked it all together, checked for fit and full welded the spinning section.

Welded a piece of 2 1/2 " box to the 2 3/8 pipe for the crossbars.

Cut, drilled and welded nuts onto some 3" box to act as positioning sliders on the crossarms

And ended up with this smile.gif

My cross bar sliders are too tight due to the weldment process, so I'm going to see if my machinist can skim one side of the cross bars for a better slip fit. More pics as things progress welder.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-dXXP2TIE
Dr Evil
Man, I wish I could help dry.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 1 2011, 05:40 PM) *

Yeah I could have used someone with experience in cleaning cutting fluid off of pipe jerkit.gif
mepstein
An electric winch with a remote would make it easy to pull cars over your lift.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 1 2011, 06:43 PM) *

A wench would make it easy to pull cars over your lift.

Quite true
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 1 2011, 08:40 PM) *

Me too. I loved building the on that I built. Its a joy welding metal that has a little thickness to it.

Zach
oldschool
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 1 2011, 05:39 PM) *

Forgot to take some pictures unsure.gif

Ended up getting the master machinist down in the complex to line bore some schedule 80 [pipe out so I could slip fit a pice of 2 3/8" o.d pipe in it

Cut, drilled and welded nuts onto some 3" box to act as positioning sliders on the crossarms

And ended up with this smile.gif

My cross bar sliders are too tight due to the weldment process, so I'm going to see if my machinist can skim one side of the cross bars for a better slip fit. More pics as things progress welder.gif

scotty is that a TC-25 i see (tire chief) idea.gif
hot_shoe914
Will this thing hold a big ol Mercedes boat? confused24.gif
Andyrew
I love welding that thick stuff... Mmmmm..

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Valy

maybe you should try your bus on the rotisserie...
scotty b
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 1 2011, 09:28 PM) *

It should smile.gif

Oldschool, it's a bendpak, not sure what model but pretty much the same thing
Dr Evil
Throw that 300 boat on it smile.gif
anderssj
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 2 2011, 01:28 AM) *

Or a Volvo station wagon? biggrin.gif
jd74914
Nice!

One suggestion [for which I apologize in advance if you are already planning], but I would add gussets to the Sch80 pipe holding the arms in the last picture in post 3. As it is currently, that piece will shear before anything else breaks.
bozo914
I was thinking that a long screw (1" allthread) in the upright (would have to have more of a C section that square tube) with a set of gears on the top attached to a crank - like the jacks that came with later bugs and busses. Mount crossbars to car and crank away. Works in my head - not so sure it would be feasible in reality confused24.gif
toon1
Are those rear view mirrors on the primerd car from an Olds cutlass?
maf914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 1 2011, 06:34 PM) *

Yeah I could have used someone with experience in cleaning cutting fluid off of pipe jerkit.gif

Man. Tough Crowd! av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
FourBlades

Nice, but will it hold a 914 Limo???

smile.gif
Archie
Nice one, Scotty! I wouldn't mind having a pop at one of these (If my welding improves, that is!)

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 1 2011, 05:39 PM) *

Forgot to take some pictures :unsure:

And ended up with this :)

My cross bar sliders are too tight due to the weldment process, so I'm going to see if my machinist can skim one side of the cross bars for a better slip fit. More pics as things progress :welder:

Dr Evil
Yes, mirrors off of an Olds something or other.
toon1
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 2 2011, 01:56 PM) *

Yes, mirrors off of an Olds something or other.

That's what they looked like. I like em. gonna be looking for a pair soon biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(bozo914 @ Feb 2 2011, 07:25 AM) *

I was thinking that a long screw (1" allthread) in the upright (would have to have more of a C section that square tube) with a set of gears on the top attached to a crank - like the jacks that came with later bugs and busses. Mount crossbars to car and crank away. Works in my head - not so sure it would be feasible in reality confused24.gif

Hydraulic rams on each end. If you look at the last pic, you can see a piece of the pipe standing upright. That is my mockup for the ram shades.gif I got the back end finished up with a light duty mount like most of you have seen. (The one that bolts into the bumper holes. ) Once I get the front end finished ( tomorrow ) I will load a car on it and flip it. My next step is to make a complete carriage under the car that ties the front and rear suspension points together, and will make pickups for the rear points that can be removed and reinstalled to aid in proper placement. All this will not only give me proper locations, but will also completely brace the car front to back, so it won't move while I have it upside down welder.gif
trojanhorsepower
Scotty,

Remember this thread?

Any updates. I would like to see what you came up with.
scotty b
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Jun 25 2013, 04:45 PM) *

Scotty,

Remember this thread?

It's all in my head......allllll of it........... huh.gif unsure.gif
scotty b
Shut it Michelle mad.gif

and Dave mad.gif mad.gif

and Eric mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

and Brown E mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

and Evil mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

and Zachamabob mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

and the rest of ya'z mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
scotty b
and especially you Terdduh dry.gif
jeff
I'm struggling posting a pic from my iPad but if you send me your email address ill show you a few things I've put on my rotisserie.. Yours look great so far..it's a time consuming project... Looks simple but it takes more material and time than people think...
balljoint
[quote name='scotty b' date='Jun 25 2013, 11:00 PM' post='1885221'

and Dave mad.gif
[/quote]

confused24.gif

We all know why you really needed that giant rotisserie.

And the dump truck load of barbecue charcoal.

chowtime.gif

Click to view attachment
scotty b
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 25 2013, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 25 2013, 11:00 PM) *

Emu = small

Camel = BIG
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 25 2013, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Jun 25 2013, 04:45 PM) *

Scotty,

Remember this thread?

It's all in my head......allllll of it........... huh.gif unsure.gif

So it's going to be like Stonehenge in Spinal Tap then?
Spoke
Nice work as usual.
jeff
Whet type of friction device are you using for your pivot ? I'm working on one and initially put two 7/16 bolts that would tighten on the inner tube but didn't feel that would hold the weight of the car...I have a ring with pins but really want a good friction device for more adjustment..
scotty b
I drilled through the inside pipe at 90* increments on each end, and did the ends 45* off from each other. This allows me to drop a bolt in one end or the other, and gives 45* adjustments. A good pair of large vise grips will also do good job of holding it in place if you need a spot you don't have a hole set for.
rick 918-S
Question. How much weight can one of those long ram cylinders dead lift? On an engine hoist they use the arm to carry weight reducing the force on the ram but as a single dead lift like lifting a car from under the center what can they lift?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.