Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holley Carb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tuff914
Hi All,
Have the oppurtunity to buy a holley setup complete (manifold linkage etc)
but I can remember a year or two ago, some negative comments about single carb setups. I think it had something to do with the length of the manifold & the fuel "condensating".
Anyhoo is anyone running a Holley successfully and if so what type, I can remember a "bugspray" from my beetle days however never ran one myself.

Also the V8 boys seem to fit a holley, set and forget, which kind of appeals to me.

TIA
John
scotty b
QUOTE(tuff914 @ Feb 1 2011, 06:42 PM) *

Hi All,
Have the oppurtunity to buy a holley setup complete (manifold linkage etc)
but I can remember a year or two ago, some negative comments about single carb setups. I think it had something to do with the length of the manifold & the fuel "condensating".
Anyhoo is anyone running a Holley successfully and if so what type, I can remember a "bugspray" from my beetle days however never ran one myself.

Also the V8 boys seem to fit a holley, set and forget, which kind of appeals to me.

TIA
John

Holley is great on a V8.......................
Dr Evil
You are correct about the condensing fuel. The runners get very cold and fuel comes out of its fuel/air mixture. This means you have sucky power and fuel economy. I just went through this with my corvair engine and a 4bbl. I had a trick set up that rand engine oil through the manifold thus heating the air/fuel mixture with hot oil. Still not all that great. Is it a cheap kit and you need carbs? If not, avoid it, IMHO.
tuff914
Hey Doc,
Yeh cheap, $100 complete including carb manifold etc etc
but dont know what model holley as yet.
cheers
John
simonr
We tried in on my 911 race car . it never worked out . you cant get the gas and air mixture right you will have lean and rich depending on the manifold . it will kill the engine. holleys are for v8 http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp36/si...34motorshot.jpg] applications
bozo914
Save your money. You won't be happy. Ran a Bug Spray on a KG w/ heated manifold and it still froze up in damp weather
ripper911
I've got an old Holley 1A or something like that sitting at my house, I switched over to weber 40IDFs and haven't looked back, but ever since then I've had a miss at idle. The shop says it's a leaking head.

It seemed to run alright with the holley, but I think it's doing better with the IDFs.
rhcb914
This has been discussed many times and there are a bunch of threads on it if you search for single weber.

My 914 came with the single carb setup. The make of the carb doesn't matter it's, as others have already mentioned, the design of the manifold and lack of heat to it. The fuel falls out of suspension and puddles causing rich/lean conditions that you can't tune out.

My experience with the setup was that the car had no ball under 3K, some cylinders were lean and other ran rich, and the engine had much less power.

If those characteristics appeal to you then I say go with it! smile.gif
Your car will start and run every time...just not well. It's bolt on athsma for your engine.

First thing I did was save up for dual webers and have never looked back. I adjust the linkage 1 per year and they have never let me down.

Why not run Fuel Injection if you want a total set it and forget it?

Rob
scotty b
idea.gif idea.gif Dual Holleys poke.gif poke.gif poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.