Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falconfp2001
Quick question, for carb conversion, is the 009 Bosch the recommended Distributor?

Isn't there two versions of that Distributor?

Thanks

Frank
Bleyseng
use the stock distributor as it has the right advance curve. The 009 is a piece of shit with the wrong advance curve. chair.gif
gothspeed
I like this one for its simplicity and vacuum advance smile.gif

http://www.hot-spark.com/Hot-Spark-SVDA034-3BOS4U1.htm
falconfp2001
Has anyone had experience with this? It is mainly advertised for type 1 installations but I think this could be a good replacement system.

any thoughts?

DIS4-009 DISTRIBUTORLESS IGNITION SYSTEM

SLITS
No experience, but I have one in a box that I have never used. It's still based on the 009 distributor, but it acts only as a trigger for the coils.

You can put the guts in a standard distributor from what I was told and that would give you the correct advance curve.

The other option is to use a 1.8 distributor. No FI trigger points and a good advance curve for the carbs.
gothspeed
The 'centrifugal advance' portion of the 034 is advertised to be equal to a 'properly setup' 009, except the vacuum advance gives you better 'off idle' throttle response and depending on which vacuum source you tap from, also get better fuel economy.

There are lots of ignition articles with varying clarity, here are a couple of them;

http://www.gofastforless.com/ignition/advance.htm

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/t...m_explained.pdf

The 034 I linked to, is PRE-setup and includes electronic points, so once you set the timing....... it should be very low if any maintainence at all ..... smile.gif ......... your time setting will depend on your compression/engine mods.

.... oh and I bought their coil to make sure I am within their warranty.
dlo914
Anything about replacing the cam, i recall hearing in the past that the EFI cam isn't the proper gearing (wrong term maybe) for carbs. But then i could of heard wrong.
gothspeed
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Feb 4 2011, 09:47 AM) *

Anything about replacing the cam, i recall hearing in the past that the EFI cam isn't the proper gearing (wrong term maybe) for carbs. But then i could of heard wrong.

Yeah I also heard the stock cam will not benefit from going to carbs. It supposedly even loses power, driveability and definitely fuel economy with carbs.
sean_v8_914
I would recommend the stock L jet or D jet dizzy over the unknown advance curve ofthtis "034" aftermarket dizzy. I have never used one but pondered about what it might be good for. has anyone here ever used one?
I like bleysing's answer....tell us how you really feel.
the stock cam is fair to "OK" with small carbs. it will get you going but not the optimum choice
gothspeed
Here is more info on vw distributors;

http://vw.zenseeker.net/Ignition-Distributor.htm

the 034 is a factory bosch design that came on air cooled flat fours, the 'aftermarket' 034 version has had the advance curve 'dialed in' by the selling company for carb applications.

The 009 is more for WOT/racing and not good for daily driving, as the 009 cannot adjust the curve for load/part throttle the way a vacuum dizz can. The 009 will have an 'off idle' flat spot, among other undesireable effects in daily/city driving.

My engine should be on the dyno in the next month or so ....... then in the car a couple months after that ...... I will then be able to give 'first hand' feedback on it.

Do not buy any dizz based my posts, it was just what I decided to buy for my modded 2056cc, based on my own research and feedback from vw people I trust.

So to be safe, one can always use the factory dizz that came on the engine.
VaccaRabite
Replacing the cam on a t4 will do a lot for you with carbs. BUT.

Replacing the cam means that you have to split open the case. And that means a lot of work. Once the case is opened and you have the new cam, new cam bearings, etc, you may as well rebuild the entire motor. After all, its all open there. And after redoing all that work (including new pushrod geometry since you changed the cam) you may as well make sure that your heads are good, etc. etc.

Zach
falconfp2001
Change of tactics and another question?

I decided to make the Carb Conversion a build on a 2.0 long Block core that I'm trying to acquire.

So for the mean time, I'm going to swap my old and failing 1.7 with one that I purchased in good condition with FI intact.

Question, what is the preferred replacement Dizzy for the 050 if I can't reuse my old 050?

I think I read that there are differences between FI dizzy and Carb Dizzy?

thanks for any input.

Frank
nsr-jamie
Tangerine Racing sells a nice one too, I plan on getting that someday soon when funds allow.
mrdkrantz
The difference in the dis from carb to FI is the advances when you give the car throttle. i would reuse your old FI dis and not upgrade until you get your 2.0 done. -save your money
For your 2.0 see Mr. Chris at Tangerine Racing. He sells the Mallory dis and he will even set it up for your engine with the correct advance.
-I wish I would have instead i bought mine online and had to pick his brain for help on here and 914club
hot_shoe914
The 050 is a good dizzy for dual carbs from what I have heard. confused24.gif
eg914
Has anyone used an 031 mechanical advance dizzy with carbs? I believe they were for the 912. I have one that I used in a Squareback years ago, and it seemed to drive well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.