Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Peter Zimmermann
OK, my car had a redundant decel valve, and an air elbow (the rubber tube between the air flow meter and throttle body) with cracks large enough to cause air leaks. I ordered a new elbow from Auto Atlanta, along with new upper and lower hose connectors (my old elbow used a small upper hose connector and a large lower connector). The replacement elbow uses the same size fittings (large; about 20mm) in both positions, and although they said they had them, they were not included with my order.

My hose connectors were modified to the point that they are not recognizable, and one of them had a large diameter 6mm washer brazed inside to act as a restrictor. Now, my question. Do any of you have a pair of the hose connectors, and can you sell them to me or tell me if either/both use an internal restrictor?

FYI; the PET shows a different part number for the two connectors, but something must have changed over time, and Auto Atlanta told me that the upper and lower connectors are the same. And they have no additional info to help me.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Peter Zimmermann @ Feb 2 2011, 06:46 PM) *

OK, my car had a redundant decel valve, and an air elbow (the rubber tube between the air flow meter and throttle body) with cracks large enough to cause air leaks. I ordered a new elbow from Auto Atlanta, along with new upper and lower hose connectors (my old elbow used a small upper hose connector and a large lower connector). The replacement elbow uses the same size fittings (large; about 20mm) in both positions, and although they said they had them, they were not included with my order.

My hose connectors were modified to the point that they are not recognizable, and one of them had a large diameter 6mm washer brazed inside to act as a restrictor. Now, my question. Do any of you have a pair of the hose connectors, and can you sell them to me or tell me if either/both use an internal restrictor?

FYI; the PET shows a different part number for the two connectors, but something must have changed over time, and Auto Atlanta told me that the upper and lower connectors are the same. And they have no additional info to help me.

Can you post pics of what you have, etc. I have a '75 L-Jet as well and have made up new connectors from copper plumbing parts. Not exactly sure which ones you need, a picture will help. Include mm of parts needed; I have some spares
silver74insocal
step 1: throw that stuff in the garbage
step 2: contact Bruce (bdstone914 on here) and if he doesnt have NOS or close(depending on your budget) he can point you in the right direction.
beerchug.gif good luck post some pics!i have a 74 1.8 and i want to see what there supposed to look like biggrin.gif Dave
davesprinkle
Yeah, the hose sizes changed between years, as did the metal hose bungs and also the holes in the rubber boot. I had a machine shop turn up a new bung to adapt my hoses to the new boot.
Peter Zimmermann
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Feb 2 2011, 09:10 PM) *

Yeah, the hose sizes changed between years, as did the metal hose bungs and also the holes in the rubber boot. I had a machine shop turn up a new bung to adapt my hoses to the new boot.

Thanks, guys.

Also, do the hose bungs have internal restrictors, or do they go straight through?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
74 and 75 1.8 were different in that the vacuum hose fittings were different sizes. The hose has been superceded to the 75 style so one must adapt when connecting the 74 vacuum hoses. The fittings have all been discontinued by Porsche although they still list them. We go to the hardware store get piping and make nice looking fittings that match the look of the original factory ones and actually make adaptor fittings to make the superceded 1.8 intake hose work on the earlier car.

QUOTE(Peter Zimmermann @ Feb 2 2011, 07:46 PM) *

jim_hoyland
Here's a pair of boots: the one on the right has a copper pipe fitting I bought at the hardware store. I took the boot and the hose with me and found a size that worked.
Peter Zimmermann
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 3 2011, 07:47 AM) *

74 and 75 1.8 were different in that the vacuum hose fittings were different sizes. The hose has been superceded to the 75 style so one must adapt when connecting the 74 vacuum hoses. The fittings have all been discontinued by Porsche although they still list them. We go to the hardware store get piping and make nice looking fittings that match the look of the original factory ones and actually make adaptor fittings to make the superceded 1.8 intake hose work on the earlier car.

QUOTE(Peter Zimmermann @ Feb 2 2011, 07:46 PM) *

George, I just rec'd my new "elbow" from your store, but Leo zero'd the connection "bungs." I talked with him this morning (he's very helpful), and he seemed unaware that you're able to make intermediate connectors. The elbow that you sold me (thank you!) has a larger upper hole than my original piece, and I need a stepped connector that fits the 20mm hole in the rubber, and the 14mm hose that goes to the aux. air regulator. Is that the piece that you can make/sell?

I also need a piece of hose that connects the lower intermediate piece to the oil filler cap stand. I bought a piece of rubber hose at Home Depot, but its not flexible enough to connect properly.

I will go to Home Depot and look over their pipe selection, but I won't have any time for the project next week. I assume that no internal restrictors are used in either the upper or lower hose bung?
Rav914
"I also need a piece of hose that connects the lower intermediate piece to the oil filler cap stand. I bought a piece of rubber hose at Home Depot, but its not flexible enough to connect properly."

Peter, If I may suggest, I would place a WTB on the classifieds for that hose. When I replaced all my hoses on my '74, I kept that one due to its specific bend. There should be plenty of these sitting in someone's parts bin.

Best of luck.

Nate
Peter Zimmermann
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 3 2011, 09:00 AM) *

Here's a pair of boots: the one on the right has a copper pipe fitting I bought at the hardware store. I took the boot and the hose with me and found a size that worked.

Jim, did you epoxy a small tube inside of a larger tube to make the copper piece, or did you actually find one that fit?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Peter Zimmermann @ Feb 3 2011, 10:22 AM) *

Jim, did you epoxy a small tube inside of a larger tube to make the copper piece, or did you actually find one that fit?

I found a copper reducer in the plumbing section at HD. There's several ways to make it fit...
Peter Zimmermann
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 3 2011, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Peter Zimmermann @ Feb 3 2011, 10:22 AM) *

I found a copper reducer in the plumbing section at HD. There's several ways to make it fit...

Well, my "solution" was to connect two 3" long pieces of 3/4" heater hose onto the elbow intermediate piece, and onto the oil filler stand bung. Needed lot's of silicone spray! Once they were on, I pushed a section of charcoal cannister hose (braided, German, o.e. hose) into the sections of heater hose. Everything fits tight, no clamps needed, and visually it's OK as well.

Still need to address the upper hose (small original bung/hose, large hole in new elbow), but that can wait for now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.