Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free Chalon in California
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
Saw this on the bird site:

Shalom

There are at least a few usable parts.

Slits, this could be your next Shalom project....
SirAndy
Where's Slits when you need him? biggrin.gif
carr914
If someone gets there quick, you might get the Jack stands too happy11.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 2 2011, 09:58 PM) *

Hah .... I saw it when it was first posted .... I thought about it for about 10 seconds and decided it was best left for other members to ponder.

I am not known for being greedy.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 3 2011, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 2 2011, 09:58 PM) *

Hah .... I saw it when it was first posted .... I thought about it for about 10 seconds and decided it was best left for other members to ponder.

Lisa is a friend of mine and I got an e-mail about it before any of you... McMark sort of passed on it so I decided to pass as well... She is about 10 miles away from me...
Krieger
I bet that is the good side too!
Dr Evil
There is no "good side" to a shalom kit barf.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 3 2011, 05:46 AM) *

Wait..... now I'm confused screwy.gif
Dr Evil
He is know for being old and ugly poke.gif

(love ya, man) smile.gif
Andyrew
I sent lisa an email. biggrin.gif

Rob, did she tell you the title history? Im guessing 5 years of backfees.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 3 2011, 08:27 AM) *

I sent lisa an email. biggrin.gif

Rob, did she tell you the title history? Im guessing 5 years of backfees.

She didn't mention it but I would only be interested in it as a track car anyway. I am more interested in the other 914 parts she has as well...
Andyrew
Been chatting with Lisa. Rob/Mark have you seen it? Thoughts?
Eric_Shea
COME ON... Riverslime could be known as the Shalom capitol of the world! Live a little. Take a Chance! Be daring!!
McMark
I only looked at the pictures. I'm dubious of free stuff anymore. It costs too much in the end. If I were already done with my car, I might pick it up for an AX beast. But as it is, I've got too much to do already.

Plus I don't like the Shalon kits.
Andyrew
There is more than the one picture?

I've got enough projects as it is, but if it has a good window, I can swap it with the cracked one on my car..

Besides, what do I do when my 914 is done? tongue.gif

We'll see what happens, I asked for advice from my dad. Lets see if he can talk me out of it.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 3 2011, 08:10 AM) *

(love ya, man) smile.gif

Don't forget short. stirthepot.gif bye1.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 3 2011, 11:00 AM) *

(love ya, man) smile.gif

'short' isn't a strong enough word..... munchkin-esque? hide.gif
Jeffs9146
I am interested in the back pad and seats! Maybe I should pick it up!
Andyrew
Jeff,

If I pick it up i'll make you a killer deal on the backpad! biggrin.gif I dont think there are any seats in it.
Scott S
Are you gents sure that is a chalon? Looks like the body kit from that other company back in the late 80's that used either the 916 fron bumper or their version of the 924/944 front bumper.
The name is escaping me - ugh. Getting old.....

Might be hard to find those parts to put it back together.
beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Im pretty sure its a Rayco.
Scott S
Ah... yep - thats it!

Andyrew
Yup. The Chalon has more distinct rear fender flares.

The Rayco is my Fav of the old kits.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 3 2011, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 3 2011, 11:00 AM) *

(love ya, man) smile.gif

'short' isn't a strong enough word..... munchkin-esque? hide.gif

And stinky... icon8.gif
RJMII
I like the 1/4 panels/fender flares. The elongated sail panels on the targa roll bar aren't all that appealing to me, but I like the flares with the vents. I see cold-air air inlets for the twin turbos right there.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 3 2011, 12:08 PM) *

Jeff,

If I pick it up i'll make you a killer deal on the backpad! biggrin.gif I dont think there are any seats in it.

piratenanner.gif

I'm in on that! beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Guys I am going to have to pass on this one, Unfortunately I cant justify another project. Lisa says she will send it to the crusher in a week so I hope someone can take this project from her! I told her to tell me in a week if she is about to send it to a crusher to let me know and I'll reconsider.

(The real reason is the GF said I have to many projects and said I cant get another car) tongue.gif
scrz914
Looks like someone is claiming it.
bernbomb914
If any one likes the Rayco kit I have one that has never been installed
RJMII
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Feb 5 2011, 12:56 PM) *

If any one likes the Rayco kit I have one that has never been installed

I kind of like it... do the sail panels have to be extended all chalon like, or can they stay stock shaped?
Rand
do the sail panels have to be extended all chalon like, or can they stay stock shaped?

If you're going to do body mods it's up to you to do whatever you want. The Chalon/Rayco police aren't going to be around to fine you if you decide not to extend the sail panels. tongue.gif

Body kits like these are cool to teenagers. Now that the 914 is an old classic, they are just way out of place. Let the kits be put on Civics. Putting a bunch of fiberglass crap on a classic to change its shape is cheesy.

IMHO of course.
RJMII
Body kits like these are cool to teenagers. Now that the 914 is an old classic, they are just way out of place. Let the kits be put on Civics. Putting a bunch of fiberglass crap on a classic to change its shape is cheesy.

The rear fenders are a lot like the ones Tangerine does, only they have the holes for vents. W/out the sail panel extensions, they pretty much follow the classicl lines.

I've also gone and taken out the 'classic' engine and made room for over 600hp of twin turbo V6. The car was a 76 that had a poorly repaired front collision.

"cheesy crap" or not, it has the functionality that I'm looking for, that I clearly stated I was looking for.

shit, no wonder I quit posting here for a few months.

So are the sail panel extensions part of the add on fender flares, or are there multiple pieces for the ass end?

it's no wonder the build threads have slowed down, and the AA spam threads have increased. Everyone's a f...in critic.

stirthepot.gif
Rand
Sorry Jim. Things don't come across the same way online as in person. Didn't mean to offend. I have nothing but respect for your project.

Build threads shouldn't be slowed down by guys flickin' crap around the garage, and guys doing custom builds should never be influenced by a f...in critic. Sometimes I throw a post like that around, but no way in hell it should it ever offend someone so much they want to stop posting here for months. Oy.

I have an opinion that putting a Rayco or Chalon kit on a now classic 914 will lower its value and appeal. Just my opinion. I usually keep them to myself, but love hearing everyone BS about stuff like that here.

Your project is different. Looking forward to your next update.
GS Guy
Me - I likes me a nicely done Shalom. wub.gif

IPB Image

But I also like 70's style turbo look slant nose targa's with Gotti wheels too! happy11.gif

Guess I'm just different..... biggrin.gif
RJMII
Rand,

smile.gif beerchug.gif The real reason I haven't been posting is that I've been doign stay at home dad thing... oh, and the hospital trips and trying to catch up my little projects. I went back and added the "stir" icon, and forgot the poke one. Hopefully we can get together next time I'm in Reno area. going to go respond to your PM now...

My build thread should be getting resurrected this month, the new engine is on a trailer in front of the shop. biggrin.gif

edit to add:

I didn't mean to come across abrasive, either. my guts are hurtin still from the week in the hospital. I'll try to get back to my usual, peaceful self again.
Rand
QUOTE(RJMII @ Feb 5 2011, 01:54 PM) *

Hopefully we can get together next time I'm in Reno area.

Damn straight. Beers on me. Might even drag Z up for entertainment.
Rand
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Feb 5 2011, 01:28 PM) *

Me - I likes me a nicely done Shalom. wub.gif

IPB Image

But I also like 70's style turbo look slant nose targa's with Gotti wheels too! happy11.gif

Guess I'm just different..... biggrin.gif

I agree, that is one of the nicer Shalames I've seen. But doesn't it look a bit droopy on the ends? With some of the classic Porsche design elements melted away? Oh, except with a big turd front bumper glued on? tongue.gif poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.