Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relay Board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
19144jt
I took my relay board out and it looks like most with the cracked black potting. When I removed it a few chips came out. Any idea what I can fill the voids with? In the past I have fixed the cracks only with black silicon to seal them from water intrusion but never filled all out chips. Can I simply use epoxy? There are bare copper traces so what ever it is it has to be non-conductive. And no I DONT wnat to buy a new or rebuilt one at this point.

John
underthetire
QUOTE(19144jt @ Feb 3 2011, 08:49 AM) *

I took my relay board out and it looks like most with the cracked black potting. When I removed it a few chip came out. Any idea what I can fill the voids with? In the past I have fixed the cracks only with black silico to seal them from water intrusion but never filled all out chips. Can I simply use epoxy? There are bare copper traces so what ever it is it has to be non-conductive. And no I DONT wnat to buy a new or rebuilt one at this point.

John

Get all the old tar out. It will chip out mostly, then you can heat it (it's just tar) and soak it in mineral spirits. Then buy some plasti-dip from ACE or wherever, and re-seal it. Good time to wire brush all the realy sockets and fuse sockets. You can get a small wire brush at a smoke.gif shop that fits perfect. I use battery terminal grease when I put all the relays and fuses back in. Helps keep it from tarnishing again.
moparrob
In case you change your mind ....

working model...

make an offer.
McMark
I've used Plasti-Dip as well and liked it. Make sure you tape off the couple of holes that go all the way through.
19144jt
Thanks guys. Plastidip it is. I never even though of that.

moparrob - thanks but mine is in about the same shape. It works but I just want to seal it up. beerchug.gif
Tom_T
You might PM to Jeff Bowlsby on here, to see what he uses to rebuild/restore them, before you finalize on Plastidip (it may or may not be what he uses). I've seen what he does with them & they're excellent, just like his harnesses.

I agree that the tar will continue to harden & chip/break out, so may as well get it all out & refill it with fresh material.
rfuerst911sc
I used the black spray Dip It worked great. The coating does not have to be as thick as the factory did. You are just trying to protect the traces from moisture/corrosion. You could also use Humiseal or other brand/type of conformal coating that is used in the electronics industry. But the Dip It is cheap and readily available. Even undercoating would do the trick.
SirAndy
There's a bunch of threads on the subject ...

A quick search for "+relay +board +repair" got me this:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111919

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91796

type.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.