Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 mag case transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

What is the best stuff to put on a mag case transmission. I've heard Tectyl is the stuff to use... but that stuff is like cosmoline, isn't it?
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 3 2011, 03:00 PM) *

What is the best stuff to put on a mag case transmission. I've heard Tectyl is the stuff to use... but that stuff is like cosmoline, isn't it?

It is pretty much like Cosmoline, but not 100% the same. Cosmoline and Tectyl are both brand/trade names for coatings that meet specific MIL specs. Tectyl happens to be the brand the Porsche used (and I believe still uses). There are various formulations of Tectyl. It will wear off in about a year or so, but works pretty good IMHO (and based upon some testing I have done) and is much better than nothing. Personally I don't think Porsche put a great deal of thought into how these cases would survive 35+ years of use from a corrosion perspective. Here is a recent thread...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=114904&hl=

It has been discussed a good bit if you search for older threads.

Richard
Randal

I posted on the original thread asking some additional questions. Tks.
Downunderman
ACF 50 is the stuff to use.
Randal
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Feb 6 2011, 09:20 AM) *

So is this a Tectyl product or something else? Where do you get it?

Hey, I might have to make a trip down to my favorite city to pick it up!
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Feb 6 2011, 12:20 PM) *

Quick Google search shows ACF 50 is a MIL SPEC thin film anti corrosion compound. Aircraft Spruce sells it...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

However they show it being geared toward protecting aircraft avionics and electronics. I am not sure if it would work that great on magnesium transmissions, but you never know until you try it!

Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.