Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new to me 74 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stanthedog
Picked up a 74 914 last weekend(stole it biggrin.gif ). very nice car, little to no rust, runs good, till last night. I had the heater on coming home from work. Couple blocks from home I turned off the heater fan and with that the engine shut off and the headlights went out for a few seconds then came back on. As I pulled into the driveway the headlights dropped. I turned the lights and engine off, checked for smoke or fire then started it back up. turned lights on, they stayed down but lights are on, heater fan doesn't work now either. fuses all good.
My wife just said the guy we bought it from said he had problems with the headlights so his mechanic bypassed something to make the headlights work, so even when off and down the lights are on.
Looking forward chatting with other 914 owners and thanks for your great(I hope smile.gif ) site.
Drums66
welcome.png Without more details tough to give advice?? yellowsleep[1].gif
bye1.gif
underthetire
The fuse for the blower motor is on the relay board in the engine compartment. Supposed to be the same fuse for the fuel pump if you still have FI and no ones messed with it. I'd bet there is a short back there somewhere.
Mike Bellis
follow this...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
more

Click to view attachment
stanthedog
What additional info do you need.
Wipers don't work either. Checked relay board, one fuse, ok.
Is there supposed to be a ford looking solinoid on the drivers side panel in the engine compartment.
Additionally, this is my sons car and he's bringing it down to yuma (he's a marine) in march, any good shops or knowledgeable people down that way.
detoxcowboy
Awile back I hooked up the heater fan reverse and when I pulled the heater lever it worked like a kill switch, blowing the fuse... here is the relay board..

Click to view attachment
r_towle
The lights use a relay (one for each motor) in the front trunk, next to the headlight motor under a plastic cover.

Given that both your headlights stay down, its more than likely a fuse.

Start by removing the fuses, cleaning them, and putting them back in.
I know you siad they look good, but these old fuses tend to corrode.

Second, go to the aux heat fan in the engine bay and unplug it.
Look at the color of the wires both in the plug and on the fan.
Match them up, or leave it unplugged for now...
You are backfeeding that circuit or you are providing ground via that circuit to something else....unplug it so the wires dont get melted.

Remove the relay board cover in the engine bay and clean all the plugs with de-electric cleaner....use a tooth brush and clean both the males and females.

Front trunk.
Remove and clean the grounds for the headlights..
Now, you need to chase these wires back to the fuse panel.
They should be routed via the headlight switch.
Follow the motor (relay) power leads back to the fuse box and compare the route and the fuse number to the diagrams above.
Pull the fuse box down to verify you are using the right fuse, and the proper amperage.

I would look long and hard for what the mechanic re-routed.
Put it back together stock and you have a safe car that wont melt wires.
Every circuit on this car is stressed already...dont need to help them.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.