Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Un-solicited Buyer wants to buy my 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

Interesting un-solicited buyer calls me & said he knows about my restored 914 and wants to buy it. confused24.gif I said it's not for sale, but he insisted how much I would part with it. To get rid of him, I said $30K and he is still interested. He called me again & said he has a 2005 987 Boxster-S loaded w/auto trans , etc. that he is trying to sell and it's worth $35K to $40K. He said he will trade even up for my car. Now the wife says Wow it has AC & I can drive it huh.gif

Here's my answer to the wife.
Ok my 914 is probably worth $20K in todays market and good restored 914's are on the rise in value. Maybe in 2-3 years it will be worth $30K?? Now the 2005 Boxster is dropping in price like a bad dream and it will be worth $15K in about 2-3 years. I told my wife, I'll buy you one in 2-3 years. lol-2.gif happy11.gif Now how did I do?? happy11.gif

Tom
My 914 goes to the grandkids.

underthetire
Guy is crazy on his price.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2195498052.html
I know it's a little older, but still..good job on keeping the 914.
MDG
biggrin.gif There's a big glop of truth in that answer
PeeGreen 914
beerchug.gif Now had he offered you $35k cash I would have said go for it..... but then again.... maybe not. If you don't have to sell a car like yours why sell it? I agree, car stays in the family driving.gif
badboybear
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 3 2011, 03:06 PM) *

Hi Guys,

Interesting un-solicited buyer calls me & said he knows about my restored 914 and wants to buy it. confused24.gif I said it's not for sale, but he insisted how much I would part with it. To get rid of him, I said $30K and he is still interested. He called me again & said he has a 2005 987 Boxster-S loaded w/auto trans , etc. that he is trying to sell and it's worth $35K to $40K. He said he will trade even up for my car. Now the wife says Wow it has AC & I can drive it huh.gif

Here's my answer to the wife.
Ok my 914 is probably worth $20K in todays market and good restored 914's are on the rise in value. Maybe in 2-3 years it will be worth $30K?? Now the 2005 Boxster is dropping in price like a bad dream and it will be worth $15K in about 2-3 years. I told my wife, I'll buy you one in 2-3 years. lol-2.gif happy11.gif Now how did I do?? happy11.gif

Tom
My 914 goes to the grandkids.

What is the color & year, very nice I must say. Our 2 914's are going to our grandsons as well...you should have seen them when they first saw them...wow! Boy's will be boy's I guess, they play in them all the time...they are side by side in our garage and they pretend to race each other....LOL. Nice wheels you have.

Spoke
Do you know this guy?

I don't trust anyone I don't know. I don't trust half the people I do know.
pete000
Air cooled Porsches go up in value.

Water pumper Porsche go down in value.

Simple answer is, you did your math.

A+

As Don Rickles once said, you earned a cookie !

Oh and what exhaust is that ????
Dr Evil
No way, it was an automatic barf.gif How do you put an "S" designation on an automatic? Not unless it is F1.

Good job! I had a wacko offer me $30-35K for mine. I couldnt do it as I would just have taken the money and made one just like it. After sweat equity was figured out, I would have broken even.
TJB/914
QUOTE(pete000 @ Feb 3 2011, 05:21 PM) *

Air cooled Porsches go up in value.

Water pumper Porsche go down in value.

Simple answer is, you did your math.

A+

As Don Rickles once said, you earned a cookie !

Oh and what exhaust is that ????

Thanks guys,

Somewhere in world archives is my restoration story and my 2nd time around restoration when I replacing it with a new Raby camshaft. My car is also an EXCELLENCE feature car issue #112 August 2002. It's chrome yellow & a CA rust free example. BTW: I did the restoration with over 2,500 manhours of my time plus services I could not perform. I have about $20K into the car with all NOS parts when I finished my restoration a few years ago. It would be double that amount in todays market.

Here's my summary of what's happening with future 914 values. I am talking about 914's @ 1-10 ratings, 10 being the best. I am talking about 914 4's & 6's.in the 8-10 # matching cars condition.
Air cooled Porsches are collectable & starting to climb in value especially the early 911's and 914's will follow the trend. 356's are already there. I am sure you will see 914-6's in the $50K range soon & special GT, 471-option will be $100K+ in 5-10 yrs. I believe a lot of our 914's will go back to Europe and it's already happening. I believe the huge supply & demand for Bxstrs is dropping like a rock. The guy wanting to trade me was overpriced and probably had to sell in the $20-25K range to find a buyer. He knew he could sell my restored 914 with time on his side. If I had garage space I would buy a nice one and store it away, but I don't need one as long as I have my 914. My advise to all 914's buy the best you can afford and stretch for the best because restoration costs are painfull.

Tom popcorn[1].gif
TJB/914
BTW: this is what a $20K++ 914 has to look like from the bottom up first.gif
It's a long tough job to get to this level of anal status.

T
sww914
You did the right thing. There are tons of Boxsters around and there's only 1 car like yours.
He is a pretty smart guy, however, to try to buy a completed super high quality restored car even if the supposed price was high. As you've already said it would be even more to do today. If your wife really wants a Boxster, get her one. Lots of people have more than one child and more than one Porsche is fine too.
Eric_Shea

Put a cover on that shift console o-anal-one. biggrin.gif (actually, you might do well to have the shift "linkage" in there as well)

Did the Boxster have a luggage rack and a rear fog? idea.gif Might have been worth considering. lol3.gif

Did you get dumped on?? Staying warm up there?
Nice 914,Keep it...Boxsters are a dime a dozen..I agree on your outlook on our cars.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 3 2011, 07:37 PM) *

Put a cover on that shift console o-anal-one. biggrin.gif (actually, you might do well to have the shift "linkage" in there as well)

Did the Boxster have a luggage rack and a rear fog? idea.gif Might have been worth considering. lol3.gif

Did you get dumped on?? Staying warm up there?

Hey there ol Michigan outcast!! poke.gif Your 914-6 GT should put one of your girls through college when you sell it. happy11.gif I am so sick of winter, the most painful thing is the wife telling me we need to move to a warm weather state. Women want to be warm lol-2.gif popcorn[1].gif I know don't say it.

Tom
Eric_Shea
Your 914-6 GT should put one of your girls through college when you sell it.

I'm driving it up Grand Traverse way and we're going to team up. Stocker(ish) and Rennsport Saturn Yellows hit the town (rear fogs a blaze'n). Starting at Leland with some smoked fish on the docks and making our way up to Mackinac. If he's lucky, maybe we'll let Ferg come along. He might have something Saturn/Chrome yellow by then.

P.S. Whenever mine gets cold I always suggest that we get something warm in her... blink.gif
ConeDodger
You should have sold it... That rear fog light isn't original and you have diminished the value precipitously. av-943.gif

Where the heck is Garvey anyway??? dry.gif
DanT
Tom,
what exhaust is on your car?
silver74insocal
QUOTE(DanT @ Feb 3 2011, 10:41 PM) *

Tom,

popcorn[1].gif
oldschool
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 3 2011, 03:32 PM) *

beerchug.gif Now had he offered you $35k cash I would have said go for it..... but then again.... maybe not. If you don't have to sell a car like yours why sell it? I agree, car stays in the family driving.gif

Click to view attachment agree.gif ..my first Grandson....he love's playing in the 914 blink.gif
Tom_T
Good on ya Mate! biggrin.gif

Hey Tom - oh perfect 914er one - did you weigh in on my Dunlop SP57 Poll in the Garage yet on how many repro SP57's in the OEM 165HR15's you want your your baby? confused24.gif

PS - Get his offer in writing as a comp for future use in valuation & insurance. BTW - I think you have the value curves right on both cars, & the 914 did the same thing back when.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 3 2011, 05:13 PM) *

Do you know this guy?

I don't trust anyone I don't know. I don't trust half the people I do know.

Hey Spoke - Love your Avatar! biggrin.gif

I was born at McGee & lived in Dormont & Bridgeville, until Dad moved the family due to his work in `63 - but always stayed a Steelers & Bucs fan! piratenanner.gif

Sunday! cheer.gif popcorn[1].gif

So I have to ask: "Are you a Turtle?"

You're old enough Jerry to know this one, but ask your Dad or an older local about it if not.
Cairo94507
Just a beautiful car!

I like the Boxster S and may consider buying a tiptronic one for a commuter when my Prius goes in about another 40K miles; but I would not sell that 914 for one, ever.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(DanT @ Feb 3 2011, 10:41 PM) *

Tom,

Looks like a nicely painted (or coated) Bursch and SSI heat exchangers.
hijacked.gif haha
I have the same setup...or had...have a triad on there now...both will be for sale soon
hijacked.gif over

GREAT looking car and good job using your head and not selling!!!
r_towle
call him back and sell it for 40k.
Report that sale price to Excellence so the new market report shows the values going up higher and faster.

As far as the 914 rising like the 356, I would beg to differ on that opinion. The 356 is very market driven (stock market) and is typically purchased as a pure piece of art or a pure toy...never really driven.
The people who buy them now are using funds that they are making in the market...so its pure profit.
Prices for a 356 driver have once again landed in the low 20's...
It did edge up to close to 30k, but its settled down to low 20's now.

The 914 is really a drivers car, not a museum piece and IMHO it wont be that way for some time...there are just to many of them left.

When the supply runs lower, the cars will shoot up...but till then, the price for a decent 914 is still well under 20k and will remain there for at least another 10 years...

As always...I could be totally full of shit...so take my opinion with a large grain of salt.
build a better one....you know you have a list of things that you would have done differently...lol

Rich

914werke
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 3 2011, 06:34 PM) *

BTW: this is what a $20K++ 914 has to look like from the bottom up first.gif

T

As well I know wub.gif screwy.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

`Tom: It would be a crime against humanity, for you to sell that car or

trade for anything ! We need cars like yours as examples to strive

for . For those of you that haven't seen it, WOW , better than bran

new. If only this guy had a car museum , only then would even

conceder selling that car !!! Dave slap.gif

matteyp
I didn't know there were any michiganders on here. I was actually in petosky over the summer. My whole family is from Warren if you know where that is. Ya I feel bad for u guys still on the east coast with all that snow. I'll stay over here in rainy 55 degree Seattle thank you ;p
TJB/914
pray.gif
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Feb 5 2011, 02:30 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

`Tom: It would be a crime against humanity, for you to sell that car or

trade for anything ! We need cars like yours as examples to strive

for . For those of you that haven't seen it, WOW , better than bran

new. If only this guy had a car museum , only then would even

conceder selling that car !!! Dave slap.gif

Hi Dave.

Thanks for the kind words, but it's just a nice car that I enjoyed putting together in my spare time. Today I pulled the cover off to enjoy the eye candy during our cold winter months & I am looking forward to summer driving when the sun shines. w00t.gif

Wondering how your doing with your health issues??? These little 914 air cooled motor cars keeps us all in the brotherhood!! Take care of yourself. we know your in pain.

BTW: I've been thinking about everyone's comments and surely our 914's are on the rise in value. They will never achive 356 prices, but worth every cent in thrills, smiles & friendships. Money can't buy that. popcorn[1].gif

Tom
ghuff
Good move, and gorgeous car. My favorite color!
Gint
Hiya Tom. bye1.gif I dunno... idea.gif I might have sold it outright and started a new one or bought a someone else's restored 914 for .50 on the dollar. But I doubt that the "buyer" would have some through on a straight cash deal.
racerbvd
He is way off on the 986, my eye doctor has not been able to sell his very clean, nice loaded 2006 "S" for $21K with a good color combo, and your guy wants $35K lol-2.gif

undefineMy advise to all 914's buy the best you can afford and stretch for the best because restoration costs are painfull. d

Yes, as I am posting on my blog on the 914-6 we are restoring for Parade...
charliew
Just my old car guy opinion. If I did all the work I was capable of on a car that looked that good NOBODY's money could pry it from me. Money is something people earn usually without any craftsman ship skills. My friend and neighbor is my insurance guy. He can't turn a wrench or weld but has a air conditioned shop with lift, welder, plasma cutter and all just for his 12 yearold's amusement. He has two 100 x 100 toy sheds full of bought toys. He wants to buy my 66 scout when it's finished but I don't want him to sell it for profit and thats what he will probably do when his interest changes. It's not his late night construction efforts that made it, it's just a temporary thing. I feel this way about anything I remake or make.

Unfortunately my heirs won't though unless they were in on the build.

I may live long enough to get broke in this upside down world but I really hope I won't see that day, but someone else will sell my stuff or my son's will split it up.

We went to eat with my gun nut friends and our wives last night and one of them thinks he will sell a nice ss colt model 90 compact 45 for about what he paid for it 7 years ago. I said why not just keep it and buy a new gun you want. He says he only wants the double action para thats the same size but not ss and I say the gun will always be worth what you paid for it and just get another gun. Kinda my feelings on the cars in my possession. When you sell something for what you have in it with money from ten years ago you are loosing money everday it gets older if it is as good as it was ten years ago.
TJB/914
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Feb 6 2011, 10:21 AM) *

He is way off on the 986, my eye doctor has not been able to sell his very clean, nice loaded 2006 "S" for $21K with a good color combo, and your guy wants $35K lol-2.gif

undefineMy advise to all 914's buy the best you can afford and stretch for the best because restoration costs are painfull. d

Yes, as I am posting on my blog on the 914-6 we are restoring for Parade...

Byron,

I really get excited about 914-6's and yours looks to be a beauty. If you haven't found a shift knob send me a PM with your shipping address for a free donation. I think I have a spare that just needs a little polishing, etc.

Restoration costs on a 6 is really painfull. icon8.gif

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.