Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumb question about 5 lug rear hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill Meyer
Ok, So I'd really like to convert to 5 lugs. Looking at some of the articles, I see a common method is having existing 4 lug hubs redrilled and swapped. Installing those looks to be a pain of sorts, so it occurred to me that maybe there's enough room to drill the hubs in place, then insert studs from the backside.

Like I said, probably a dumb question, but is that even feasable?

Thanks!
underthetire
QUOTE(Bill Meyer @ Feb 3 2011, 03:50 PM) *

Ok, So I'd really like to convert to 5 lugs. Looking at some of the articles, I see a common method is having existing 4 lug hubs redrilled and swapped. Installing those looks to be a pain of sorts, so it occurred to me that maybe there's enough room to drill the hubs in place, then insert studs from the backside.

Like I said, probably a dumb question, but is that even feasable?

Thanks!

If you had a shop make a old school drill fixture, no problem, but to do it by hand with no guide would be risky. You really need to ream the holes for the press in studs as well. Think it was a 9/16 reamer for the metric sway away studs. Then you still have to do something about the rotors.
914Sixer
Do it the right way, use 69-73 911 rear hubs. Then get some 74-up 100mm stub axles. Go to the classic forum and look up the conversion for the axle with 944 cv joints. Another option is to buy conversion stub axles from Otto's and use your stock axles.
Eric_Shea
Check the 5-lug article in the Classics section.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

I doubt you'll have much success with them mounted.
sww914
I don't think you will be able to locate the holes properly. They need to be exact.
sixnotfour
I did it on my dads 76, not wanting to tear it apart as it was low miles.
Years ago I made a bolt on fixture that uses hardened ground drill bushings in four sizes, three for drilling one for a tapping guide and used screw in studs.
It is no easy job, with a hand drill.Let alone making the fixture and buying the drill bushings/drills/tap.
Actually it is easier to purchase some predrilled parts and change em out. you probably need rearwheel bearings anyway. Also the front hubs need the centering ring turned down/off.
Bill Meyer
Thanks for the info guys, sort of what I figured. I also didn't relaize the back was not flat, thereby necessitating a milled collar for the stud to press up against, not sure there would be any good way to do that while on the car.

So how hard is it to find good 1970 hubs with the bosses?
Eric_Shea
I have a pair...
sixnotfour
beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.