914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GT40-914r
The Million dollar Questio ,
Going to super charge the 2110 / 1.8 with existing Dellorto 45s

Blower is Eaton / M92 Roots style / twin Screw

Plan A - put me old D-Jetronic setup back on and blow it
Any advice here would be A good thing drooley.gif chowtime.gif sunglasses.gif

Plan B - Pressurize the Dells dry.gif lol-2.gif

Plan C Senior - Use one of the Dells or other Type of Carb and "Suck" fuel through the blower .. blink.gif confused24.gif

Questio # 2 Any such thing as a Huff & Puff for the type 4 confused24.gif

Any known threads on this Subject in here ?

cheers
Lawrence from Ber-Dino So Cal
Mike Bellis
Swap the Dells out for EFI, Blow through an ITB system. You will be able to fine tune the fuel and spark to compensate for boost. I'm not sure if the Dells can be blown. If you suck them threw the screw, you risk throwing the fuel out of the air and on to the runners from centrifical force. Leading to unpredictable performance.
rohar
Agreed w/ kg6dxn. Those carbs aren't built for blow through and you'll have more problems than solutions with them blow or suck. EFI is the only decent solution nowadays with positive manifold pressure. Megasquirt comes to mind, I've had a LOT of success with it.

That, and I'd ditch the Eaton and buy an Opcon, but that's just me wink.gif
Dr Evil
If you must carb, the corvair had a blow through Carter carb, singe bbl, good on 2.7 ltr. Just a thought. EFI would be the best, though.
ottox914
Check the threads in my sig for info on adventured in forced induction. How do you plan to drive the SC- what are your plans for the belt?
nsr-jamie
I remember seeing an old write up in vw & Porsche magazine many years ago (10 or so) about a blown 914...somebody may even have the scan here. I contacted that company years ago too and almost bought the kit and thats when my motor expired and did a big bore rebuild instead. I am not sure if any of those old blower kits were sold.
moggy
Been there got the t-shirt beerchug.gif Had great fun doing all this a few years ago.

I used Eaton M45 blower, first off on turbo spec dells on a 2.4litre, just to design the blower mount and pulley system. Pulled 190hp @ 5500 and 192ftlb.

Lessons learnt at this stage:

Poly V belt slips
By Pass valve is essential
6psi was max the little M45 could give out
charge temp was too high to be acceptable

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Car was drivable but very noisy supercharger and I felt there was a lot more I could get out of the solution if I optimised things, hence came phase 2...

Phase 2

Fully programmable ECU and FI
Chargecooler
M62 blower (i.e. bigger)
Toothed belt
1 3/4 exhaust was required

Results

14psi boost, charge temps under control now, no belt slippage. The throttle body is above the blower the injectors are below. This prevents any condensating (pooling) of the fuel if it passed thru the charger. It also meant the blower was kept quiter as it was behind the throttle body.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Problems

Only main problem found was the heads didn't seal properly to the 103mm barrels. So I fixed this by cutting grooves into the head and opposite profile into the tops of the barrel. This fixed the issue.

IPB Image

IPB Image

5000+ miles later all is good - although probably going to get round to selling the engine as need to start downgrading the engine in time for son to inherit the car driving-girl.gif
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
GeorgeRud
Is it only me, or does this sound like a very difficult conversion (how do you drive the supercharger?) that might work, but why?

I think you may find it much easier to simply do an engine swap if you want more power. The engineering required to make your idea a possibility would be immense, and the carbs are marginal at best as they were designed to work in a low pressure venturi, not positive pressure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.