Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hoosier Dot-R's on the street?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Anyone here running Hoosier Dot-R's on a (mostly) street car?

Just for the occasional weekend driving, no rain, no snow. Wear is of no concern.

Safety however is a concern. Are they strong enough to hold up to CA roadways?

Acceptable? Dangerous? Crazy? idea.gif
DanT
from what I gather Andy, the tread portion is fairly thin (that is why the tires are so light) and would be very susceptible to punctures and tears from pot holes etc...
Driving to and from an event with eagle eyes on the road would be OK, but I don't think it would be a good idea for a weekend drive in the hills etc.
Several folks drive to AX events with them, but they are very careful... smile.gif
YMMV
campbellcj
+1

Unlike most other DOT-4 tires, the A6/R6 are 'fragile' in their belt construction not to mention expensive as heck to use on the street. General wisdom is their optimum performance is gone after 10-20 heat cycles.

For many years I have run Kumho or Yoko R tires on the street but I only put Hoosiers on the car for the track.
ConeDodger
Expect them to last almost no time at all... Been there done that with A001R Yoko's when they first came out.
SirAndy
Well, they are on the set of wheels i want to run on the street ...
I'd hate to throw them away as they're still in good condition.

But the car will be mostly street driven, so i need tires that can handle that. Bummer ...
sad.gif

IPB Image
DanT
oooooooh, those are perty drooley.gif drooley.gif

what size are the wheels....
SirAndy
QUOTE(DanT @ Feb 3 2011, 10:35 PM) *

oooooooh, those are perty drooley.gif drooley.gif

what size are the wheels....

Fikse FM10's with Hoosier Dot R's

Front:
9x17 with 245-45 tires

Rear:
11x17 with 315-35 tires

cheer.gif
messix
fuck it run em and run em hard!!!! driving.gif
sww914
Are they A tires (AX) or R tires? I had a customer run the R's on the street exactly as you described for about 2 years. They lasted 6000 miles but the sidewalls cracked pretty bad. Lots of fun, no punctures. They are absolutely useless if there is any water on the roads at all. Even light mist and you're driving on ice.
Run them if they're the R's, if they're the A's I expect that they will delaminate where the tread's ends are bonded together. I've seen that before. It makes a big thumpy sound every revolution.
d914
If road race hoosiers like to heat up first, a couple laps before they are any good.. On street you dont get to have any fun until after a couple of miles of warm up..

I have an old set of DOTs, only used once...When the suby gets done I figured I"d burn them up on the street for the fun of it!! smile.gif
r_towle
anything below 50 degrees, or any slight moisture or rain will scare you to death...
Aside from that, run them.

I ran hoosiers to and from events with no issues for three years...
Eventually you will see cords.

They are slippery when wet.

Rich
pcar916
I'd run 'em till they died knowing they won't last long. I've been running Toyo, Yoki adn Kuhmo DOT R's on the streets for years, but the only ones that last any time at all are the Toyo's and Yoki's.

As said above, chances are that your Hoosiers will likely puncture before they wear out, and they won't have as much grip since you won't get them to operating temp, but they'll be fun anyway!
sean_v8_914
herb and learned I that the tread serves two purposes:
1. shed water (obvious)
2. displace dirt and gavel commonly found on public roads and on ramps(no so obvious, learned the hard way )

I would do it again, just carefully
r_towle
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 4 2011, 09:37 AM) *

herb and learned I that the tread serves two purposes:
1. shed water (obvious)
2. displace dirt and gavel commonly found on public roads and on ramps(no so obvious, learned the hard way )

I would do it again, just carefully

Sean,

Get some coffee

Rich
SLITS
Hey Andy, hit something on the road and you will find out quickly why it is not a great idea.

Years ago, Goodyear Blue Streak Specials, hit a piece of wood at 70 ... tire blew immediately. Fun ride I tell ya.

But then anyone with a green, red or ???? Mohawk probably has a death wish anyway! poke.gif biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 4 2011, 09:46 AM) *
But then anyone with a green, red or ???? Mohawk probably has a death wish anyway! poke.gif biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
DanT
I ran Goodyear Bluestreaks on a 67 bug with fiberglass flared fenders and a 1750cc motor back in high school....good at AX, not so good on the street biggrin.gif
Krieger
Sign up for a de or autocross, whatever those tires are good for and use them up!
6freak
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 3 2011, 10:42 PM) *

fuck it run em and run em hard!!!! driving.gif

Yup for about 500 miles on those softy`s
Andyrew
I ran R's on the street on my dads 944 for about a month going from school and back and taco bell and back... Did pretty good, Granted it was summer.
Eddie914
I have run Toyo RA-1, Yokohama A-032R, and Kumho Victorracer tires as track AND STREET tires for years on my 914-6 that is a weekend warrior. I even ran the 225/50/16 A-032R tires on the street on my M5 which is BIG and HEAVY. Adverse wear was not a problem since the cars did not get a lot of long daily commuting (my office was less than two miles from home).

I understand that Hoosiers have less robust carcass than the other aforementioned DOT-R tires but they are built for very high speeds and very high loads present on the track.

Those are fairly large tires on a fairly light car. Pothole damage is possible but the the roads in northern California are pretty smooth when compared the roads in the snowbelt.

If I was closer, I would gladly wear them out for you. I have always wanted to put on wider rear flares. I have the HPH FG flares and the widest rears I have been able to fit are 275/40/17.

RUN THEM!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.