Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:Need a new roof on my house, recommendation..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
The wood shingles are just about shot on our 16 year old house, the sun in Antioch cooks them to death. I am just now doing the research for replacment materials.

As always, cost is an issue, but I don't think I want to tackle the entire job myself (2 story house, gravity hurts smile.gif )

Anyone on the BBS that is local and is interested in bidding on it?
If so, can we get a discount for cash???? wink.gif
seanery
chunger can do it, he doe's everything! biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
How long do you plan on keeping the house?

In a couple of years I’m going to try to take a lot off of our property and build our dream home. If this house needs them asphalt, the new house will get those steel (fake ceramic) jobbies.
I only want to do it once in my lifetime.
Rog914
Put a metal roof on. It may cost you a hair more to put on but, they last a life time. Just go out in the country & see how many old barns & houses still have there "tin" roof on them from the 20s & 30s. There are so many styles out there now, you should find one you like for a good price. Some even come with a 50 year warrenty(it'll last longer than that) & 120 mph wind or more resistint. Something you might want to look into. I'm not a roof salesman, just a carpenter that hates asphalt or fiberglass shingles LOL.

Ralph

74 2.0
Bruce Allert
agree.gif
That's what we did on our place at the lake. Only cost $2K more. Fir trees all around with noon day sun. Metal all the way for a life time of no more hassels clap56.gif

......b
PatW
Ceramic.. biggrin.gif
GWN7
If your planning on staying in the house, go with metal. Slightly higher in cost, but it will outlast you and is fireproof.
dmenche914
having fought a wild fire from the roof of several burning homes, what ever you do, avoid wood shingles, they are almost explosive when dried out after a couple years. No fire retarding coating has proven to be of much benifit, and all retardents degrade rapidly over time. One spark on a hot day, and your roof will go up like a Presto log.

other than that, for other shingle materials consider up front cost, and how long they last, do the math to get cost per year, then select what you like .

compositin is one of the least expensive, but the are grade differences, some better than others. the cadillac (Im sorry, the Porsche) of shingles is either metal or fiberglass. Tiles are also long lasting, but are very heavy (earth quake country, means the less weight above, the better)

good luck dave
chunger
If you decide to do it yourself, I'll help.

(will work for needle bearings smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif )

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

Asphalt for me has been fine. I don't have a coil nailer though. I subcontracted the roof out 'cause I was getting rained on at the time, and I would not recommend that subcontractor to ANYONE. Didn't even know about metal. does it install the same way? If so, heck, I should have done that. . . oh well. . .didn't know about it.

I''ll PM you the name of a good roofer dude. . . I was happy with him. . . (he had to fix some of the mess the other company made).

-'Chung
Mueller
I just did 200sqft of asphalt for my workshop roof, it was pretty easy, but I don't care the looks too much and it is heavy.

thanks everyone.........
Rgreen914
You may not have too many options in replacement material due to possible fire concerns in your area; concrete, "fake" shingles, look like wood but are obviously very heavy.
chunger
You do know about rooftop delivery, right?

Might help with the weight issue a bit.

-'Chung
boxstr
Any concerns as far as CC&Rs and a HOA??
CCLINPUD
GWN7
With metal, the pieces are cut to fit your roof. So don't screw up on the measurements. wink.gif The pieces are screwed down with screws with little rubber washers.

I'm in the process of geting prices for a shed I want to put up at the farm. It will have metal sides and roof. Never paint is the idea. 40' X 60' with 16' walls.
Mueller
When I think of metal roof, all I vision is shack in Tiajuana wacko.gif
Kargeek
I just went through this with my in-laws house and 5 years ago with mine. I have helped others install roofing - for the money saved I would not do it myself. You can contract with companies to do the tearoff of your old wood shingles and install the underlayment. I researched light weight ceramic- just looking at the tiles make them crack, composite fiber cement- they look like singles but in five years they fade and have had problems. Metal roofing looks great but is very expensive. You may want to walk on your roof and that creats problems with some. Bottom line is that I went with 50 year warranty Elk brand composition. Extra thick and good definition and bulletproof. Keep in mind that CDX and chipboard underlayment costs have gone through the roof (no pun here) it worked out to be around $300.00 per 100 square feet of roof area. Five years ago for the same materials installed, I paid $200.00 per 100 square. The other products were as high as 450.00 per square. Dave
GWN7
Check out this....Everlast roofing

Or these...Lianro

Metal roofs have come a long way....
TimT
Im thinking of getting the roof on my house in Vermont redone with standing seam metal roofing..it does cost more and looks great

Im waiting to hear from a few contractors with estimates

here is an example... doesnt remind me of Tijuana at all
JeffBowlsby
Mike all roofing materials have +++ and ---, none is perfect.

Metals will not fly with your association if you have one.

Asphalt comp is prolly the realistic choice, all things considered.
tat2dphreak
my dad's owned his own roofing company for ~30+ years now... go metal...

it will out live the rest of your house... it takes SERIOUSLY F'd up weather to EVER hurt it... it's a life time replacement... do it once and forget it... and most insurances will give a discount b/c they know it's forever...

any shingles, ceramic can be destroyed with a hail storm that's not even that bad, but anything short of a tornado or 80mph winds will not hurt a metal roof... hail damage (if you can even see it) will be minimal...

it's the best deal going!
Rog914
There's so many different type metal roofs available today. They have Stone coated shingle metal, Terra-cotta look metal, Wood shake look metal and on and on, in varies price ranges. DO the research. Don't be like a lot of people who go for 30 year asphalt. Then when your retired on a buget 30 years from now and the big expensive roof has to go on. Think about what a roof cost to put on 30 years ago compared to now. Then what the cost is going to be 30 years from now.

I know asphalt shingles will most likely be the cheapest way to go. But just like your 914. Do you put the cheapest parts you can find? Or do you try to find the parts that are worth the extra money.

Just giving you something to think about.

Ralph

74 2.0
Bleyseng
Metal roofing is LOUD inside the house, you can hear the rain drops pound against it.
Comp is nice, cheap and takes a beating.(use the coiled nails not the staples)
Concrete tile is great but the roofing structure needs to be able to hold the extra weight.

Cedar sucks...

Hire a good contractor who will be the tearoff and resheet the roof with plywood if you have skip sheathing.
Make sure you have enough venting too.

Geoff
(nearly 30yrs in const)
GWN7
I have to replace my shingles here some time soon, not too worried about any noise. I have R52 in the attic. It could hail on a metal roof and I wouldn't hear anything. smile.gif
wheelo
Gwn7 - Thanks for the links, I have a wood shingle
(very popular in Calif. ) roof that I am thinking of replacing. You got me looking in a different direction than composits. cool_shades.gif
No snow here, but gets hot, and windy.
Peace
rhodyguy
geoff nailed it. hehe. wait until you get the bid for the tear off and the plywood to replace the skip sheathing. you're going to crap your pants. comps are fine, there are LOTS of options with regards to appearance and a 30 yr shingle will last as long as you will probably live in your house. hopefully there are no ccr's dictating what you can do to your house.

kevin
seanery
I've been told by folks with newer metal roofs that they ARE NOT loud. What gives?
GWN7
The newer metal roofs are made out of heavier gauge material. Sometimes they put Styrofoam underneath it when retrofitting (adds R value and keeps the heat off the understructure).
Mark Henry
My shop is all steel, bit noisy (not much) outside, but I can't hear it inside.
When I hear people say they're loud, on a properly insulated house, I say bs.gif
dgw
We replaced wood shingles with asphalt. We were very serious at one point going with the cement "looks like wood" shingles, but:

1-they cost about 4 times as much
2-they are a LOT heaver. You need to know if the house can support them.

What we got is 40 year class A fire rated. I don't know if either of these is good or not, but it beats the hell out of wood. Where I live, we used to sweat bullets in the late summer when the wind came up. Images of the Oakland fire flashed through our minds. On the other hand, if that happened, our roof could be made of gasoline and the result would probably be the same.

One other thing, get yourself a strong magnet. You have never seen so many nails. Even though they clean up the site, they don't.
anthony
Mike, I had my roof done 1.5 years ago with the standard 30 year architectural composite shingles by these guys:

http://www.crownridgeroofing.com/

They did a great job IMO, and the bid seemed very reasonable.

That said, I think I'd do it myself if I had the time and was doing it again. Why, you ask? Because after I saw them do it I thought, shit, I could have done that. Like you, I thought I could have never bought all that stuff at home depot and brought it up to the roof on a ladder. I was even unemployed at the time!

Here's how they made it easy:

They hired a tear off subcontractor. A dump truck with seven guys and shovels showed up and the old roof was gone and hauled away in less than 2 hours.

They rolled out the tar paper in about 30 minutes.

Then, the roofing supply company truck with elevated conveyor belt shows up. All the materials were delivered to the top of the roof. Very little lifting!

One guy pounded nails for 1.5 days. Another guy helped a little and was only around for maybe a half a day. The whole job took two days.

They also hired a gutter subcontractor.

I priced the materials at home depot and based on what I think they paid for the tear-off I'm guessing that they made about $3K for their two days of labor. Not bad money!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.