Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about a replacement front trunk panel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
After digging into my car over the past few months I have finaly found something that was repaired! It looks like the car was bumped in the front and the panel was replaced. Although they did a great job I did notice that the newer piece they used had the holes for an early bumper and for a late bumper! My car is a 75 and doesn't have the front trunk shelf and has the large rubber bumpers.

Did the factory use a panel that would work on an early bumper and on a late bumper? Mine looks to have the holes used to backdate the bumper already there! People are always asking where to drill the holes to mount the back dated bumper and it seems obvious in this panel!

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Jeff the superceded front panel that came out in 1976 was to replace all of the previous varieties (70-72, 73-74, and 75-76) It was the exact configuration of the 75 76 models but made in two styles. One with the holes for the shocks, one for the holes for the earlier chrome and black steel bumpers. Additionally there were instructions on how to modify the two 73-74 "eyebrows" (front panel reinforcements inside the trunk) . What probably happened on your car is that the body shop ordered one of these panels and they got the one drilled for the steel early bumpers. Seeing that it fit just fine and had the big bumps for the bumper shocks, they simply drilled two more holes and used it on your car.

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 4 2011, 10:30 AM) *

After digging into my car over the past few months I have finaly found something that was repaired! It looks like the car was bumped in the front and the panel was replaced. Although they did a great job I did notice that the newer piece they used had the holes for an early bumper and for a late bumper! My car is a 75 and doesn't have the front trunk shelf and has the large rubber bumpers.

Did the factory use a panel that would work on an early bumper and on a late bumper? Mine looks to have the holes used to backdate the bumper already there! People are always asking where to drill the holes to mount the back dated bumper and it seems obvious in this panel!

Jeffs9146
Thanks for the info!

So, following that logic, when I drill for the back dated bumpers I should be able to just punch through the template shown in the photo and mount the bumper, no mesuring required??
mepstein
Always measure.
Jeffs9146
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.