Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB-911 3.0 Liter Or Bigger Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
OK Everyone,
I'm look to buy a 3.0 ltr or bigger engine for my project. I'm guessing that someone must have a stash of these sitting in a garage or shop waiting to sell.
Does anybody have any suggestions or where is the best place to look would be great to know.

Thanks
Ed
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Robert at DC automotive.
Good guy fair prices a connecticut yankee working in north carolina now

QUOTE(EdArango @ Feb 5 2011, 11:18 AM) *

OK Everyone,
I'm look to buy a 3.0 ltr or bigger engine for my project. I'm guessing that someone must have a stash of these sitting in a garage or shop waiting to sell.
Does anybody have any suggestions or where is the best place to look would be great to know.

Thanks
Ed

mepstein
Ed - I placed a WTB on Pelican and let the sellers find me. I was specific in the ad and asked for a 3.2 in good running condition with all the parts and local enough to drive to pick up. Seller lived 2 hours away and had an extra engine that had less than 4K on documented rebuild. Sold for $4K. Seller wanted engine out of his garage more than he wanted top dollar. Great transaction. He also had a good rep on PP. Didn't come with the computer or harness but everything else was there. Needs a new fan housing since the origional is cracked and I'm removing some powercoating and sending injectors to be cleaned. I wanted a 3.2 with injection for ease of use. Bolt it together and run. Not much to adjust. Seller threw in a custom Steve Wong chip but it will run fine with stock chip. Seller continues to follow up with me when I ask him questions and I promised him a ride in my car when done. Not expected but nice.

If I was to do all this over again, I would give away my rusty car and buy a nice 6. Cheaper and immediate gradification instead of a multi year project. But the guys here on the board are great and I'm learning alot so I'm happy.

PS - I would read the posts in the engine building forum of pelicanparts.com, you are looking at a large chunk of money and the more education you have the better. A 911 engine can easily cost $8-14K to rebuild just to stock specs. Much of the price of a 911 engine is based on milage, condition and (detailed) rebuild history. Even though I'm confident in my engine, worse case, I know I could part it for what I paid.
brp986s
I *may* have one for sale. It has ~30k mi built with new mahle p/c, fresh cams, new rocker arms, new carrera tensioners, and yada. It's in my 911 now and passed CA smog w/o cat 2 months ago. I need to easily clear the $4200 for nickies to build a 3.2 I have laying around. It would be a complete takeout w/lambda csi, 6pin cdi, HE's, and exhaust - no parts - and priced accordingly.
EdArango
QUOTE(brp986s @ Feb 5 2011, 11:58 AM) *

I *may* have one for sale. It has ~30k mi built with new mahle p/c, fresh cams, new rocker arms, new carrera tensioners, and yada. It's in my 911 now and passed CA smog w/o cat 2 months ago. I need to easily clear the $4200 for nickies to build a 3.2 I have laying around. It would be a complete takeout w/lambda csi, 6pin cdi, HE's, and exhaust - no parts - and priced accordingly.

What size is the one you are selling??
brp986s
QUOTE(EdArango @ Feb 9 2011, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(brp986s @ Feb 5 2011, 11:58 AM) *

What size is the one you are selling??

3L
moparrob
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2011, 11:08 AM) *

Ed - I placed a WTB on Pelican and let the sellers find me. I was specific in the ad and asked for a 3.2 in good running condition with all the parts and local enough to drive to pick up. Seller lived 2 hours away and had an extra engine that had less than 4K on documented rebuild. Sold for $4K. Seller wanted engine out of his garage more than he wanted top dollar. Great transaction. He also had a good rep on PP. Didn't come with the computer or harness but everything else was there. Needs a new fan housing since the origional is cracked and I'm removing some powercoating and sending injectors to be cleaned. I wanted a 3.2 with injection for ease of use. Bolt it together and run. Not much to adjust. Seller threw in a custom Steve Wong chip but it will run fine with stock chip. Seller continues to follow up with me when I ask him questions and I promised him a ride in my car when done. Not expected but nice.

If I was to do all this over again, I would give away my rusty car and buy a nice 6. Cheaper and immediate gradification instead of a multi year project. But the guys here on the board are great and I'm learning alot so I'm happy.

PS - I would read the posts in the engine building forum of pelicanparts.com, you are looking at a large chunk of money and the more education you have the better. A 911 engine can easily cost $8-14K to rebuild just to stock specs. Much of the price of a 911 engine is based on milage, condition and (detailed) rebuild history. Even though I'm confident in my engine, worse case, I know I could part it for what I paid.

agree.gif Completely, on each of the points responded to.

I am in the process of doing it the 'hard way' and it took me three months to find a suitable engine despite posting a wanted ad on three forums and scouring Craigslist and Ebay every day...

Unless you are dead set on carbs the 3.2 is the most economical option - just be sure it is complete with the DME, harness, etc. because those parts are expensive.

If you want to get really sexy go for the 3.6 conversion, since the engines are newer and more plentiful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.