Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil strainer cover nut torque
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biker bob
What is the correct torque for the oil strainer cover nut (bolt)? It seams I remember someone saying that the Haynes book is incorrect.
brp986s
I tend to believe the 9.4 ftlb indicated in my Haynes. Don't go ape shit on that thing. I once bought an engine from some mouth breathin' knuckle-dragger who managed to tear off a chunk of the cam bearing saddle. tongue.gif
GeorgeRud
Though that seems awful low, it is correct.

VW decided to attach that panel to the main bearing saddle, and it will distort if too much torque is applied.
detoxcowboy
9.4 any more and it will cause you other problems besides just stripping it according to a 914 mechanic shop near me.. I think will start to push on some other more imporant moving part..

9.4 or 9.6 is fine and factory it is not holding back a river or all the horsepower..
TheCabinetmaker
Tom Wilson book says 8. I've never had one leakat 8, but I have occasionally gone to 9 when 8 just doesn't "feel right".
Jake Raby
More isn't better. Tighten it too much and you'll end up with "syndrome".
The plate does not need crazy tightening.

Tighten it too much and you'll be doing a full teardown.
TheCabinetmaker
If that was directed towards me, Jake, You'll notice i said 9 at the most. Thats still under the book value. If you were just making a statement, well, nevermind.
biker bob
Thanks everyone 8 to 9 sounds good to me.
Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.