Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OMG Alternator!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgardstr
Guys, I just spent an hour and a half trying to remove the alternator from a 74 2.0 engine that is sitting in my shop. Everything came off except the bolt from towards the fan and it was just stuck. I tried tapping it out, but there is no room for a hammer blow. I heated it, tapped on the front and wiggled the alternator back and forth, but it just wouldn't come out. I ended up cutting the dished head off, drilled out the square part of the head and drove the bolt towards the back of the engine. I would hate to think of what I would have done if the engine would have been in the car!
I'm sure this has happened to someone before and I'd like to know what you have done, or maybe what I should have done to get the bolt out that pivots the alternator. Man! What a mess!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(mgardstr @ Feb 5 2011, 04:40 PM) *

Guys, I just spent an hour and a half trying to remove the alternator from a 74 2.0 engine that is sitting in my shop. Everything came off except the bolt from towards the fan and it was just stuck. I tried tapping it out, but there is no room for a hammer blow. I heated it, tapped on the front and wiggled the alternator back and forth, but it just wouldn't come out. I ended up cutting the dished head off, drilled out the square part of the head and drove the bolt towards the back of the engine. I would hate to think of what I would have done if the engine would have been in the car!
I'm sure this has happened to someone before and I'd like to know what you have done, or maybe what I should have done to get the bolt out that pivots the alternator. Man! What a mess!

I had that happen to me once. Once I got it out, the bolt and hole were corroded with white crud. I think there was some galvanic process going on. I like to add a ground wire to the alternator. I also pack some grease in the hole when installing it. Penetrating oil should help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.