Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 70 1.7 rear axle nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 shifter
does anyone know what size 6 point socket i need for this nut? (the one just outside the rear rotor) i have a 1 1/4 in but its a little to big, and its frozen solid. hissyfit.gif or should i say rear hub
rohar
30mm. You're probably gonna need a $15 braker bar from ACE and about a 6' piece of pipe to brake it loose. Don't be afraid to jump on it.
914 shifter
QUOTE(rohar @ Feb 5 2011, 07:53 PM) *

30mm. You're probably gonna need a $15 braker bar from ACE and about a 6' piece of pipe to brake it loose. Don't be afraid to jump on it.

thank you,i have a breaker bar, and 4' pipe just need that 30mm.i also have pb blaster, and map torch on standby ar15.gif cheer.gif
rohar
Soak it in PB blaster now. It'll help tomorrow when you try and pry it off.

/I hate that nut
//not as bad as pushing out the stub axles though
914 shifter
QUOTE(rohar @ Feb 5 2011, 08:04 PM) *

/I hate that nut

that's affirmative been soaking since about 6pm EST.hopefully i can locate a 30mm sunday morning. thanks again rohar
rohar
If you do a search, you'll find innumerable posts on replacing the rear bearings. There's about 20 ways to pull the rear axle apart. All of them seem to involve a lot of cursing and heavy objects.

I like to blare Alice and Chains "Angry Chair" when I have to do it. Don't know why, but it seems fitting.
Andyrew
First time is the hardest. After that you can remove and reinstall it easily. I keep a spare CV with me and keep the locking pin off, I can remove and reinstall a CV on the side of the road in ~ 25 mins with this method.. But that first time is a bitch..
draganc
QUOTE(914 shifter @ Feb 5 2011, 08:19 PM) *

QUOTE(rohar @ Feb 5 2011, 08:04 PM) *

/I hate that nut

that's affirmative been soaking since about 6pm EST.hopefully i can locate a 30mm sunday morning. thanks again rohar

if you are not in a hurry let it soak for several days. i did both sides about 4-5 months ago and what a FPITA!
after the 3rd day soaking i got one nut off. pb blast penetrated only half the nut.
for the left side i had to use the grinder and a new nut.

good luck,
dragan
ps: make sure your wear gloves and make sure your kids are not around.....bad words
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.