I bought my first 914 last november, and have been researching everything I can get my hands on since then getting ready to start the process of bringing it back to life. My cars story, original owner gave the car to his son in 1994, sometime in 1998 the engine started making a noise and running rough, so he parked it. It was stored (thank god indoors) till 2008, It was then sold to a friend (PO)with the idea of repairing the car. PO removed the engine and started dismantling to repair the engine, somewhere in the process he also purchased a complete running 73 2.0 motor with the thought of engine swap instead of repair. Lost his knowlegable help along the way realized he couldn't complete on his own so, the car sat two more years, until I purchased it in nov 2010. The car is all original, appearance group with factory A/C, All original accessories still in car, jack/owners manual/tow hook, ect.
112k original miles, fuchs alloys, leather wrap steering wheel. The only rust is the battery tray, support and under look fine. Had to reweld one trunk hinge mount.
The rest is just cosmetic, seats need recovering, small cracks in dash.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Getting ready to start engine tear down
Click to view attachment

Almost apart
Click to view attachment

Finished tear down
Click to view attachment

"BAD" valve seat (no wonder they parked it) could have been worse, only damaged the top of the one piston.
Click to view attachment

Well it's all apart, took the heads in to be repaired and rebuilt, new seats,valves,guides,springs. Case bores,crank,rods,cam are in being checked.
This is what I was planning, new rod bearings,bushings,nuts/ polish crank, new bearings/ Having original cylinders bored to 96mm/new KB pistons to match. Stick with the stock FI. My question (for now) I've found conflicting info, have read grinding a cam, and surfacing lifters is acceptable as long as you adjust the valve train geometry to keep the desired valve lift. Then I've read you should always change a cam no matter what if your rebuilding, and that a stock cam may not be the best option for these engines. But one thing I haven't read is if you decide to purchase a new cam, how do you decide which one is best for your rebuild?
Unfortunately I'm trying to do this on some what of a budget, otherwise I'd just hire Jake and be done with it. Plus (sorry Jake) I just really want to do this myself.
Appreciate any input or ideas. Trying to take my time and do it right, signed up with Dr Evil to rebuild my tranny in his June clinic, so won't be putting it back together until then. Post more as it comes along. Thanks, Jeff