Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: interior carpet/OEM windshield/tinted glass in early cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
I"m betting some or all of this has been covered in some thread(s), haven't found it, so assuming you are more adept at finding, can you let me know where

3 questions

a)OEM carpet...for 1970. Want to do this as correct as possible, without spending $2500 on OEM at AA...wish that was in the budget, isn't.
Pointers, please, on best source for the closest to OEM as reasonably possible....

b)OEM windshield. I have a good but tinted aftermarket. Was Sigla the only supplier of windshields for the early (or all)14s.... A member has a Solex....did factory ever supply that...what are my best alternatives

c)discovered in reassembly that the drivers glass window is tinted...all else are clear. Did factory provide tinted glass, as option or otherwise, in 1970

Many thanks
Tom_T
Try 914a&p.com or in the member vendors section in here.

IIRC, all USA cars had to have tinted safety glass windshields - along with a few other items like the front round side marker lights, all of which were grouped under an option" which shows up on your Certificate of Authenticity (COA) as something like "USA Equipment".

They also had another option called "Tinted glass all around" on the COA's, which meant that both the side windows (driv. & pass.) were tinted along with the above noted tinted windshield already under the USA eqpt. (other countries got the windshield included under this option IIRC, if it wasn't required like in the USA back then).

So if you're trying to keep your 914 as it was originally equipped, either look at the original window sticker, dealer invoice/sales receipt, etc. &/or order a COA from Porsche Cars No. America (PCNA) & hope that their info is complete & correct (they have had some problems with staff reading the older codes, etc. on many COA's, including mine). Go online to the Porsche website, USA, & under the Classics section of Customer Service it the info & form for the COA's. While you're on there in Classics, also download their free pdf parts catalog FYI.

Ooops - make that the Canuck version of everything - I just noticed the B.C. in your sig.!

You can get a discount as a Porsche Club of America (PCA) member $20 I think, plus Porsche will discount it $20 if you send them a copy of your window sticker. PCA is $42 a year & you get 2 magazines monthly (national & local), 20% discounts at Porsche dealers about 2-4 times a year (one is running now), plus $20 off your COA - in addition to the various events, etc. Not a bad deal.

welcome.png .... & hope this helps! smile.gif
porbmw
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 7 2011, 07:06 PM) *

Try 914a&p.com or in the member vendors section in here.

IIRC, all USA cars had to have tinted safety glass windshields - along with a few other items like the front round side marker lights, all of which were grouped under an option" which shows up on your Certificate of Authenticity (COA) as something like "USA Equipment".

They also had another option called "Tinted glass all around" on the COA's, which meant that both the side windows (driv. & pass.) were tinted along with the above noted tinted windshield already under the USA eqpt. (other countries got the windshield included under this option IIRC, if it wasn't required like in the USA back then).

So if you're trying to keep your 914 as it was originally equipped, either look at the original window sticker, dealer invoice/sales receipt, etc. &/or order a COA from Porsche Cars No. America (PCNA) & hope that their info is complete & correct (they have had some problems with staff reading the older codes, etc. on many COA's, including mine). Go online to the Porsche website, USA, & under the Classics section of Customer Service it the info & form for the COA's. While you're on there in Classics, also download their free pdf parts catalog FYI.

Ooops - make that the Canuck version of everything - I just noticed the B.C. in your sig.!

You can get a discount as a Porsche Club of America (PCA) member $20 I think, plus Porsche will discount it $20 if you send them a copy of your window sticker. PCA is $42 a year & you get 2 magazines monthly (national & local), 20% discounts at Porsche dealers about 2-4 times a year (one is running now), plus $20 off your COA - in addition to the various events, etc. Not a bad deal.

welcome.png .... & hope this helps! smile.gif

Hi Tom

Thanks for the post....and yes, it does help.
Actually have a COA for the car, so will dig thru my stash of junk, and see what it says.
Re this car, it is a U.S....version...as it is a 1970 6...and few if any were sold by dealers up here. Frankly, don't know if they sold much of any 14s at least till about 1972.
This site is a wealth of info....and a good source for a quick laugh, re some of the banter.

Again, thanks
Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.