Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New To Forum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gunn
I just joined the forum. I fell for the 914 while stationed a Fort Ord during the early 70's. I am just finishing restoration on a 35 Ford. My next is going to be a 914. I want this to be my driver. I know absolutely nothing to look for when I go to buy one this summer. Can some of you folks help out on what to look for and what to stay away from? I promised the wife that this one won't take five years. So I would like one that does run so she can take it for a ride a few times (To get her hooked) before I tear it down. From what I am hearing, is I need to go to SO CAL to get one that is close to rust free. This maybe a misconseption or everything I read or hear maybe one. So please help me all you can. Thanks. Gunn
NJ914Guy
Welcome to the forum! Just purchased my 1973 914 2.0 and this link really helped me.

How to Buy a Porsche 914
Mike Bellis
The Long (frame) likes to rust through under the battery tray. Cars have broken in two. Look for damage at the passenger B pillar and lower jack point. If you find rust on the drivers side at these locations, run away. Rust is the big killer of these cars. Buy the best car you can. don't worry about the engine.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
draganc
QUOTE(gunn @ Feb 6 2011, 06:20 PM) *

I just joined the forum. I fell for the 914 while stationed a Fort Ord during the early 70's. I am just finishing restoration on a 35 Ford. My next is going to be a 914. I want this to be my driver. I know absolutely nothing to look for when I go to buy one this summer. Can some of you folks help out on what to look for and what to stay away from? I promised the wife that this one won't take five years. So I would like one that does run so she can take it for a ride a few times (To get her hooked) before I tear it down. From what I am hearing, is I need to go to SO CAL to get one that is close to rust free. This maybe a misconseption or everything I read or hear maybe one. So please help me all you can. Thanks. Gunn

welcome.png

once you are ready to buy a 914 find a club member for a ppi. even if you have to pay for it's worth every single cent!

search for "hell hole" repair on the forum or "rust 'oration".

if you have to budget, $7-10k will get you a great car or you buy a project $2k and you will spend another $5-7k to fix it to your liking - after 2-3 years :-)
silver74insocal
welcome.png welcome to the madness. theres a good chance one of our members near you can help you find a good one. if you find one that looks interesting..post a "PPI request" here in the garage with your location and see what happens. if not, take lots of pics of the suspect areas and post em here to get opinions.

this is a great bunch of people you have stumbled on here... beerchug.gif Dave
montoya 73 2.0
welcome.png

If you want to see alot of nice 914's, come to the WCR 2011 in Medford, Oregon.

WCR 2011 Link

You will see alot and learn alot. Bring the wife so she can see what you and she can have!

Your about 2 1/2 hours away, the first hand knowledge would be worth it!
gunn
What is the "Hell Hole"?
KELTY360
welcome.png

Small world. I was at Ft. Ord in 1970 and when I bought my current 914 in SoCal I drove through Elkton on my way home to Seattle. Highway 1 or 101 the whole way til it started to rain buckets south of Reedsport. That was my cue to head east to I-5.

You won't regret buying a 914, they are a blast to drive and come complete with a wacko community of talented and generous people. Generally speaking, California is the place to look for a minimally rusted car. There's a lot of them there and they're reasonably priced. You might also contact Craig Laughlin at Camp914. He frequently has a nice selection of cars and is about an hour away from you.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(gunn @ Feb 6 2011, 07:41 PM) *

What is the "Hell Hole"?

Area under the battery.
NORD
welcome.png

I looked for a year at cars in Washington, Oregan and BC, never

looked in Kaliforia. Found a good very little rust in Portand Oregon.

Car had all the paperwork of work done but needed paint on the outside.

Good Luck and welcome to the madness. Do try and make the WCR

2011 in Oregan. driving.gif
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
tomh
when your ready to buy contact me
Mikey914
Check with Jamie (Jrust), he had a few in his collection, some projects. He's a good guy that's in Corvallis- Eugene area. He couls maybe point you in the right direction.
carr914
welcome.png

Two Suggestions

1. Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Many good members with good cars for sale. Cali cars are usually better than most others, but that is not always true. Part of that theory is Porsche sold more 914s there to begin with & the climate is good. But I have found some absolute gems here. Craig at Camp914 is not that far from you and always has cars

2. Get a 914World Member to go with you to look at any car. Not only with they have knowledge, but also a voice of reason.

Good Luck, beerchug.gif
T.C.
type47
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 7 2011, 03:11 AM) *

welcome.png
Craig at Camp914 is not that far from you and always has cars

agree.gif
hell hole area
markb

welcome.png

Two Suggestions

1. Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Many good members with good cars for sale. Cali cars are usually better than most others, but that is not always true. Part of that theory is Porsche sold more 914s there to begin with & the climate is good. But I have found some absolute gems here. Craig at Camp914 is not that far from you and always has cars

2. Get a 914World Member to go with you to look at any car. Not only with they have knowledge, but also a voice of reason.

Good Luck, beerchug.gif
T.C.

agree.gif
It's a slippery slope you've stepped on to. The 914 is an addiction, and there is no cure. Enjoy. biggrin.gif
underthetire
welcome.png
And just go to Jamie's used 914 lot. (JRust) biggrin.gif
ConeDodger

welcome.png

Two Suggestions

Good Luck, beerchug.gif
T.C.

Very good suggestions from T.C. but I would add that you should buy jackstands. You will need them more than you can imagine lol-2.gif
zymurgist
welcome.png
Cap'n Krusty
Before you head out of state, check with Craig at Camp 914.

http://camp914.com/

The Cap'n
gunn
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 7 2011, 04:31 AM) *

welcome.png
Craig at Camp914 is not that far from you and always has cars

agree.gif
hell hole area

This picture really helps. Thankis, Gunn
IronHillRestorations
Generally speaking the more you pay on the front end for a good solid car, the less you'll spend in the long run.

Take your time and don't be afraid to walk away from a deal that's too good to be true, as they usually aren't.

Right now it's a buyer's market, so you can be picky.
Tom_T
QUOTE(gunn @ Feb 6 2011, 06:20 PM) *

Gunn, she'll probably like the 914 ride better that the 35 Ford (nothing against it), unless she's like mine who turns icon8.gif if I push it in the curves in any car! dry.gif

While more 914s were sold in SoCal, not all remained rust free, even if mostly/always garaged. You can find solid ones and rust buckets anywhere, but start your search nearby, since it's easier to get to & you have a good bunch of Teeners up there in the PNW.

Remember that the early 1970s were El Nino years down here & streets were flooded over the curbs around LA when I was in college there 70-74 on several occasions. Curbs = 6-8" 914's clearance = <5" .... do the math!

Look at the classifieds (cars & rollers) on here, on 914club.com (and sign up for their Craig's List notifications for as many regions as you want to look at), clubNARP.com , Pelican (Porsche parts seller), TheSamba.com (under Porsches, cars for sale - it's a V-Dub site with aircooled Porsche cars & parts, etc.), and maybe sign up for Lycos & LemonFree autos for sale searches under 914s.

I agree with the others, get someone on here to do a look-see on anything you'll consider for or with you, so you don't see drooley.gif wub.gif then driving.gif it home & find yourself sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif for months or years later!

welcome.png
gunn
I appreciate all the great info. I think I will call on somebody when I go looking to make sure my eyes do not get me into trouble. I also think I will go to the WCR 2011 in Medford. And my fear with the wife is, she will commander the 914 and I never get to drive it. In the area we live in the roads are great for motorcycles and sportcars. I drive 65 miles one way to work each day, and the roads the whole way are nice S all the way. I looks forward to more information and and education. Gunn
markb
QUOTE(gunn @ Feb 8 2011, 09:24 AM) *

I appreciate all the great info. I think I will call on somebody when I go looking to make sure my eyes do not get me into trouble. I also think I will go to the WCR 2011 in Medford. And my fear with the wife is, she will commander the 914 and I never get to drive it. In the area we live in the roads are great for motorcycles and sportcars. I drive 65 miles one way to work each day, and the roads the whole way are nice S all the way. I looks forward to more information and and education. Gunn

I see no problems here.... you just buy a second 914, and have His & Hers. driving.gif driving-girl.gif biggrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(markb @ Feb 8 2011, 09:31 AM) *

I see no problems here.... you just buy a second 914, and have His & Hers. driving.gif driving-girl.gif biggrin.gif

agree.gif

This is the kind of brilliant insight you'll find with this group. Always ready to help. laugh.gif
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 8 2011, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Feb 8 2011, 09:31 AM) *

agree.gif

This is the kind of brilliant insight you'll find with this group. Always ready to help. laugh.gif

agree.gif agree.gif

I'm going to have to acquire another for the wife also. More like give her this one and build my 6 conversion!!! happy11.gif Just have to find a good tub and start collecting the parts.
gunn
How much difference to rebuilding the engine in a 914 to say a 1600cc VW? I worked my way through college many years ago by rebuilding VW's in my livingroom. I wanted to know if rebuilding is the same. From what I see of pictures they appear very simular. Thanks, Gunn
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.