Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which way do your battery posts face?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJ914Guy
Which way did you install your battery? Posts closer to the engine, or posts closer to the passenger side of the car?

I am trying to install a battery disconnect switch on the negative terminal, and boy, that negative battery cable is short. I am using the green knob type switch. I was thinking a rotation of the battery might help.

Feedback and bright ideas welcome beerchug.gif
jonferns
Posts closer to the engine.
914itis
Mine is facing the engine. you can reverse it by extending the cables.. I think the positive cables may be long enough and the ground is easy to replace.
dlkawashima
Mine are closer to the fender. I believe my battery is the Optima type 34. Probably the type 34R would be better but that will have to wait till this one dies.

The fit is really tight, but it does (barely) clear the fender by a few millimeters. See pic for how I arranged the negative cable. The tie wrap is there just to make sure the unit stays together.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Feb 6 2011, 08:05 PM) *

agree.gif

Optima redtop with the ground terminal facing the backside of the car. That way the positive terminal is farther away from the engine lid opening ...

smash.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 6 2011, 11:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Feb 6 2011, 08:05 PM) *

agree.gif

Optima redtop with the ground terminal facing the backside of the car. That way the positive terminal is farther away from the engine lid opening ...

smash.gif

Oh I see what the OP was asking now. The OE negative cable is really short. I'm not sure if the negative post positioned toward the back of the car would work with the OE cable. But again you can get the quick disconnect to fit. Here's a wider angle shot of how I did mine:

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 6 2011, 11:40 PM) *
The OE negative cable is really short. I'm not sure if the negative post positioned toward the back of the car would work with the OE cable. But again you can get the quick disconnect to fit.

Correct. I used a longer ground cable. The upside of turning it around is that the terminals a farther away from the sidewall and that the positive terminal is not so close to the little grille opening. Just in case you do get rained on ...

shades.gif
flipb
Here's my arrangement - old photo, it's not (quite) this filthy anymore.
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.