Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass fabrication
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

I am hoping that Paul will be all over this with advice as I'm not sure the best way to go.

My CF hood has the cutouts for the headlights. I want to fill these in, but so far my efforts have not worked well.

What is the best way to make a template for fiberglass, i.e., wood or foam or what that can then be shaped to match the curves of the hood?

That form, if wood, could be used to pound out a light weight aluminum sheet or for a fiberglass form.

I was also thinking that one of those hood louver sheet might fit, but that will be flat and won't look right. Although maybe I could attach a bent aluminum frame to the underside????

Anyway looking for ideas on how to remedy this problem.

Thanks.
URY914
You rang? biggrin.gif

I would get some thin aluminum and clamp it to the hood and bend it down to follow the shape. That would get you started and from there lay up some f/g on it than use bondo to get the final shape to use as a mold for final piece.

The trick is to take a rough shape and slowly work it down to the final product. It will take a few tries probably but keep working it and it will happen.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 7 2011, 01:19 PM) *

You rang? biggrin.gif

I would get some thin aluminum and clamp it to the hood and bend it down to follow the shape. That would get you started and from there lay up some f/g on it than use bondo to get the final shape to use as a mold for final piece.

The trick is to take a rough shape and slowly work it down to the final product. It will take a few tries probably but keep working it and it will happen.

Thanks Paul... ONe other issue I have it that the hood has a nice paint job, so have to accomplish this exercise without wreching the paint.

I know, be very careful.

What thickness aluminum would you use?
URY914
Tape up the area of the hood with blue painters tape to protect it.

The aluminum should be about 14 ga. which is right at 1/16". That should be able to be formed by hand and hold the shape well.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 7 2011, 06:14 PM) *

Tape up the area of the hood with blue painters tape to protect it.

The aluminum should be about 14 ga. which is right at 1/16". That should be able to be formed by hand and hold the shape well.

I picked up my car this afternoon and much to my surprise the fabricator had completed the aluminum inserts. I'm a happy guy.

He did it pretty much like you suggested Paul. He used small pop rivets to hold it on... looks great. Pictures maybe tomorrow.

It attached from the bottom side so all you see on top is the pop rivets,which matches all the other pop rivets on my car.

Now on to getting the motor and transmission in and getting the wiring done.

URY914
Good to hear it came out to you liking. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.