Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ugh... I just dont get it. pricing rant..... sorry in advance.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Sorry – Rant mode.

I went to the dealer today to grab a flywheel washer – a stamped piece of metal with some holes in it – part number 90110216204. It was $75.00 – for a WASHER.

I have been taking the ”all in fun” ribbing regarding the cost of Porsche parts from my pals on the British side of the isle for some time. It didn’t really bother me. As an owner of British cars, I still view most of them as a “just” British cars – I even use the words “too frilly” on occasion. However, as I continue to work on the -6 conversion, I am more and more annoyed with how anything associated with the “P” word is so much more expensive. It is really taking the fun out of the project. I cant figure out why I can get model specific parts for cars built in the mid/late 1940’s for a third of the price of a car from the 1970’s. I just paid 80.00 for four newly cast brass door hinges for a 1953 C-type – what is that, half the price of the stamped steel reproduction windshield trim on a 914? (or 5.00 more than a WASHER for my flywheel?). I don’t get it. It seems the only place where prices are comparable is refinish work (chroming, painting, etc).

It’s a good thing I am doing this conversion for fun, to car I have owned and loved for almost 20 years, because Lord knows, there is absolutely no other sane reason to restore/convert a 914 if you look at it from any sort of ROI. Yeah, Yeah, I know- “but in 30 years they will be the next 356”. To bad I am not into 356’s, I would just buy one of those…. because based on the logic of previous statement, in 30 years a 356 will be worth the same as a Bugatti.

Thank God for guys like Mikey. Not only does he make great stuff, but he also proves that the same products (or even far lesser quality products) being offered elsewhere are overpriced.

I guess I need to remember the old adage - when it comes to Porsche, always buy someone else’s project.

Ugh. Sorry. Rant off. Go Porsche! cheer.gif flag.gif
tradisrad
it seems that that should be $7.50. Is porsche adding extra zeros? this piece?
Click to view attachment
It's a $1.75 at PP. Oops, is this for a "6" conversion? My info may be bad then...
Cap'n Krusty
Might be ya shoulda asked here first ......................................... It's not a one-time-use item like the one on a T4 engine.

The Cap'n
zymurgist
Holy cow, they're right. Porsches really are made of crushed $100 bills. sad.gif
Scott S
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Feb 8 2011, 01:13 PM) *

it seems that that should be $7.50. Is porsche adding extra zeros? this piece?
Click to view attachment
It's a $1.75 at PP. Oops, is this for a "6" conversion? My info may be bad then...

Yep, thats the one. Held it in one hand with a copy of the PET page in the other. At Pelican it is still $57.00.....
type47
yea, I went to the dealer and asked about the correct copper exhaust nuts ..... $13 a piece.....
carr914
You got hosed. Dealer Cost is $36.55 & the List Price is $56.16. You should have gotten it at List minus 10% PCA discount
rick 918-S
What do you mean "you don't get it?" I think you got it.... sheeplove.gif dry...Whatcha call pucker poached.
Scott S
Hi TC -
I am definitely not the brightest bulb in the package, but I did not buy the thing. I thought the price was absolutely crazy. I have a bit of time before I really need it, so I had planned on digging around a bit more both here and over at the bird 911 board.

Per Type 47, looks like I need to also do some digging on the exaust nuts, as 156.00 for 12 seems completely reasonable.........

(hi Rick!)
mepstein
Pelican has been a good resourse for 911 parts.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 8 2011, 03:59 PM) *

(hi Rick!)

bye1.gif biggrin.gif assimilate.gif I hope they didn't take all your money I have a solution to your welding cloths issue... shades.gif
Scott S
Hey Type47 -
it appears we just need to head a bit more toward the southern part of Germany. The Bavarians appear to be a bit more practical!!!

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=M8%2...%20X%201.25%20C

beer.gif <- Oktoberfest smiley
markb
oops, didn't read close enough, 6 conversion...my bad
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 8 2011, 01:49 PM) *

yea, I went to the dealer and asked about the correct copper exhaust nuts ..... $13 a piece.....

"Correct"? 911s don't use so called "copper" exhaust nuts (which are copper plated steel), nor are they used on 914s. Save your money........................

The Cap'n
914werke
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 8 2011, 03:12 PM) *

"Correct"? 911s don't use so called "copper" exhaust nuts (which are copper plated steel), nor are they used on 914s. Save your money........................

The Cap'n

Do you mean the thick shouldered variety?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 8 2011, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 8 2011, 03:12 PM) *

The Cap'n

Do you mean the thick shouldered variety?

1.7s used a normal looking nut with helicoil threads, 2 liter cars used a shouldered nut, again with a helicoil insert. 911s use a plain nut, no helicoil, and most of the earlier 911s use barrel nuts for some of the exhaust studs. Note that in NO case did Porsche (or VW) use locking type nuts anywhere on the exhaust of air cooled cars.

The Cap'n
carr914
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 8 2011, 04:59 PM) *

Hi TC -
I am definitely not the brightest bulb in the package, but I did not buy the thing. I thought the price was absolutely crazy. I have a bit of time before I really need it, so I had planned on digging around a bit more both here and over at the bird 911 board.

Per Type 47, looks like I need to also do some digging on the exaust nuts, as 156.00 for 12 seems completely reasonable.........

(hi Rick!)

Sorry, I thought you had bought them.

But in the future, if you want to keep your Local Dealer honest, pm me the Part# & I can get you the correct cost.

I could sell items to you, but I small things the freight wouldn't make sense

T.C.
r_towle
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 8 2011, 05:20 PM) *

Hey Type47 -
it appears we just need to head a bit more toward the southern part of Germany. The Bavarians appear to be a bit more practical!!!

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=M8%2...%20X%201.25%20C

beer.gif <- Oktoberfest smiley

Owning a BMW is no joy either when it comes to parts.....

Rich
jasons
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 9 2011, 07:35 AM) *

Owning a BMW is no joy either when it comes to parts.....

Rich

agree.gif

No shite. Ask me about the water cooled alternator in my 540i. That was about a $700 repair.

Buying 901 trans parts is a shock too. I bought 3 syncros at $100 a pop, plus some bearings. That parts bill was around $800.
charliew
You might get some good brass nuts at fastenal. Try to buy a good quality red auto paint if you want some sticker shock. We can thank the epa for a lot of the increased cost in chemical products and chrome costs. Including fuel. Nobody bitches about diesel but how much do you think diesel cost affect everything we buy that is transported. Diesel can be made probably for .30 a gallon.
type47
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 8 2011, 01:59 PM) *

Well actually, they were for a typeIV so 8 of 'em. Still, $13 for a nut ... even though it is a special nut... and ordered from Germany.
TROJANMAN
I can't believe George would..............

Oops, my bad, I thought this was another AA thread poke.gif

av-943.gif
J P Stein
One time use flywheel bolts are 13 bucks a pop....plus you need the right tool.
Scrimp there if you dare.
Brit has spare flywheel washers in his stash. Were they still mine, I'd give you one just to unwhine you.
Mikey914
If there is a market and they are stupid expensive, I have no problem making these parts. What I have found is sometimes there is a reason. I can set up to machine a short run.

Just let me know.
-mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.