Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
If Porsche introduces a new model 914 Series II, do you think our "original Ser.I's" will appreciate in value? confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
Only if the new ones rust faster... lol-2.gif
rjames
Not that I want my car to be worth less, but I am curious: Do most people care if their car goes up in value or not? And if it did go up, would a few thousand $ really make much of a difference? I think it's a safe bet to say that there are better investment$ to make than buying a 914!

Personally, I would like to be able to afford another one at some point and am fine with the prices staying right where they are. smile.gif

carr914
NO, just look at Values of recent Porsches, especially Boxsters. Plus I don't think there will be a Nostagia Factor in 40 Years as there won't be any Gas left
Tom_T
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 8 2011, 01:57 PM) *

NO, just look at Values of recent Porsches, especially Boxsters. Plus I don't think there will be a Nostagia Factor in 40 Years as there won't be any Gas left

Hey T.C. - all cars do that initially - drop in price that is, including 356s & 911s, 912s & 914s, but then the curve turns up and appreciation value kicks in. That's why they say a new car loses 20-25% as soon as you drive it off the dealer's lot.

914 values bottomed in the 80's & have generally trended up since - with minor down or flat blips during economic downturns, like the current one.
They actually held their value pretty well even before then, especially compared to it's period competitors like Ghia's, 240Zs, MGBs, Triumphs, Fiats, Alphas, etc.

IMHO, as gas gets less available & ever more expensive over the coming decades, it will be just the opposite from what you said - at least for the well preserved & restored examples.
However, our kids/grandkids will be able to drive these collectibles less, & it will cost them an arm & leg to do so when they do.

Jamie - in the 60's-70's you could get a 356 project car for under $2000, many under $1000, but now the best restoration & preservation examples are over $100K.
IMHO the same track is in store for 914s, any many will stay as or go off to the track/AX dedicated use, with the rust buckets and lesser cars turning to spare parts, scrap metal &/or dust.

So keep your 914s up in good condition, and drive them judiciously, or at least know the consequences if you don't!
You'll notice that I did NOT say don't drive them, nor not to driving.gif driving-girl.gif them hard, fast & fun! biggrin.gif
sww914
Coulda boughta 356 for 3K in '97, needed bumpers and everything else was there. Average rust. I spent the money on a 914 racecar instead. More pleasure but no profit.
I sold the racecar to buy the lovely vessel to your left. No rust but dryrot instead.
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
dflesburg
Back in 1987 one of the original famous GT race cars was for sale in Louisville (one of the white Sunoco cars). It was $18,000 and I tried and tried to get someone to give me a loan to buy it. I was fresh out of college and nobody would loan me the money to buy a used up race car.

Years later, in the mid or late 1990s, it went for over $200,000 at an auction. Silly thing is, if I had bought it I wouldn't have sold it at the right time and never would have made a nickel.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.