Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn Bracket Nuances
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
nathansnathan
My horn brackets are pretty crusty. They are built like... feeler gauges?
Like there is a stamped ring holding 3 separate bracket pieces together, presumably to prevent breakage caused by flexing.

It's hard to find a pic of the back of the original horn to show the ring. Here's a link
original horn on ebay

If you 'enlarge' then click on the pic of the back you see the ring. Hard to tell from any picture, but the bracket is actually 3 separate layers of steel.

and the new version, no ring, seems like a single piece bracket (no ring):
IPB Image

I'm pretty sure it'll be hard to come up with used brackets in decent shape. I've seen only the entire horn being sold new, but I'd rather use my original 40 year old horns, as they are probably built better. I'm going to have some stuff plated but the pieces don't really come apart, so it seems to be not an option. Should I just bite the bullet and buy new horns?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 9 2011, 01:55 PM) *

My horn brackets are pretty crusty. They are built like... feeler gauges?
Like there is a stamped ring holding 3 separate bracket pieces together, presumably to prevent breakage caused by flexing.

It's hard to find a pic of the back of the original horn to show the ring. Here's a link
original horn on ebay

If you 'enlarge' then click on the pic of the back you see the ring. Hard to tell from any picture, but the bracket is actually 3 separate layers of steel.

and the new version, no ring, seems like a single piece bracket (no ring):
IPB Image

I'm pretty sure it'll be hard to come up with used brackets in decent shape. I've seen only the entire horn being sold new, but I'd rather use my original 40 year old horns, as they are probably built better. I'm going to have some stuff plated but the pieces don't really come apart, so it seems to be not an option. Should I just bite the bullet and buy new horns?

You can do that. Or, you just watch & wait. Almost everything/anything comes up as available sooner or later. Though I still have not found the perfect early rain tray I did find a perfect 4 cylinder snowplow. Took almost 20 years, so it is just a matter of time & patience. I'll get that rain tray - just keep watching.
914werke
Ive got them?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 16 2011, 12:03 AM) *

Ive got them?

Rich,

What condition?
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.