Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top Stand Offs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I'm curious if anyone remembers how far to stand off the targa top to help break the vortex generated at the rear window. Anybody from "back in the day" do this and remember?

-Aaron
bandjoey
You'll have to search unless someone has it bookmarked.
A university group did wind tunnel testing on a 914 to study drag. In the results they show the wind bubble at the rear window helping pull air from under the car through the engine compartment. It seems like that would help with cooling. Experts? popcorn[1].gif
flipb
Found this with a quick google search. Interesting stuff!

http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/a...aids/index.html

TROJANMAN
That's a pretty sweet link. Thanks
yeahmag
I love that link, but that doesn't seem to have captured this old school trick. I've sent him an email in the past. Maybe I will again...
Andyrew
I thought it was 1/2 to 3/4"...

I remember hearing it.. but this was a long time ago..

Hell it could be 3/4 to 1 1/2 for all I know.. Im curious why the racer guys are not responding.. They know.
john rogers
I used aluminum tubes (3) that were 2 inches long. I did this around 2002 or so and the stability factor at tracks like Willow Springs and the first race I did at the new (to us vintage guys) CA Speedway was amazing. I would not try to use the stock latches in any way since the roof could possibly slide back and forth. Here's a pict.
john rogers
As a side note, the famous #22 car driven by Wayne Baker used the low pressure issue to it's advantage and actually had some slots or intakes cut in the bottom of the longitudinals on both side with air outlets at the top rear so the air would get sucked up and out behind the rear window generating a mild amount of down force. Note the floor on that car was removed and tubes added and the bottom covered with aluminum sheet.
yeahmag
This is great! Thank you!
campbellcj
Mine is lifted too, but only an inch or so. Hard to tell exactly because it is a skin not a stock top. I could easily raise it a bit more if I knew for certain it would improve things.
Elliot Cannon
The last time I was at the Festival of Speed at Ontario, I saw a 914 rallye car that had small vortex generators glued to the trailing edge of the top. Not sure if it worked but looked interesting. The yarn testing is easy and fun to do. Tape the yarn to your car and have someone drive next to you and video the car at speed. Then post it here. Might be fun to do with the Yellow Zonker to see how the air flows around the Sheridan body. Hopefully some one will buy the damn thing before I get a chance. laugh.gif
Cheers, Elliot
yeahmag
I've got $30 in my pocket...

;-)
Elliot Cannon
Check this out. http://www.airtab.com/gallery/racing.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.