Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Springs in the shifter, how to install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Ok, so Im getting my short shifter put back together after turning the handle back to the normal position.. I have the springs out, and Its a pain to put them back in, So far I cant figure out how the average Joe can do it...

Anyone have any tricks? Brad? John? Anyone?

I could make a tool that I think would work... but I really dont want to do that just for a one time job.

Thanks

Andrew
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 28 2004, 06:08 PM)
I could make a tool that I think would work... but I really dont want to do that just for a one time job.

you can do it with a big-enough Philips screwdriver, but if you have a 49-cent flat-blade screwdriver and a bench grinder it's easy to make the tool in 30 seconds - i think Haynes even shows it. grind away anough from the sides of the blade so the middle fits into the spring. insert into spring with shifter mounted secucrely in vise. compress mightily with shop towel over everything so when it springs out you won't lose an eye. it helps to have the pin almost all the way in from the other side. once you've got it compressed enough, press it into the cavity and push the pin the rest of the way. takes longer to describe than do ...
Andyrew
Thanks, I'll try that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.