Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail shift to side shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falconfp2001
Ok, i have acquired everything from the trans to the shifter.

One question though, i noticed the shifter seems different. The bolt pattern for the mounting plate is different.

Am I missing something?
Dr Evil
Before getting into this too deep, what do you have? Do you have the special bushing?

The shifters are different in coupler, but not in bolt pattern.
stugray
And ... PLEASE take pics!

I believe I have all of the shifter parts and the special engine mount bar, but want to SEE a conversion before I declare I have enough to actually buy a new trans..

Stu
falconfp2001
I received the special bushing for the firewall yesterday. I also have the cone screws but misplaced them. just in case i strip them.

I purchased the Trans and linakge including a Shifter all together. The Shifter is a Weltmeister® Short Shift kit but the bolt pattersn look different.

I also purchased the correct engine mount.

In December, I refurbished using the super bushing linkage kit from Pelican and it worked out good but the bolt pattern was one front and two rear on the Shifter mounting plate and the lockout plate to the left. The two in the rear support the additional rod bushing in the tunnel.

The side shift Shifter, indicates two bolts in the front and one in the rear and no additional rod bushing in the tunnel with the lockout plate to the left.

So, I'm wondering if this will really work or if I have to move the lockout plate to the other side (if that is possible) so that the bolts line up correct?

If not I'll have to suffer for a week until I figure out the best solution.

By the way, this is going into a 1971 914 1.7L

I just ordered the Tangerine Racing Clutch Pulley Adapter product.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

I had some problems with shifting and I noticed that it wasn't the Tube in the channel but maybe the length of the cable. So this product should help since it is adjustable to compensate for a longer cable.

In any event, I'll try to take pictures but I'm doing a Engine Swap and Trans Conversion at the same time so I may be cutting the time line short.

May prep Friday for the Pull and then Early Saturday pull and swap, then convert to Side Shifter.

Worst that would happen, Snap off a stud and not have a replacement. Or, drop the engine on my foot.

Wish me luck.
Cap'n Krusty
I've been working professionally on 914s since 1973, and I've NEVER seen a clutch cable for a 914 that was other than the correct length. Of course, I don't buy parts from my FLAPS, either.

Regarding the engine mounting assembly; do you have the bar, the 2 mounts, the 2 engine brackets, and the 2 small channel pieces for the end? Gotta have 'em all. The mounting stuff can pretty easily be done with the engine in the car. Less so with it out. The forward shift rod can also be done with the engine in the car, but you have to lift the engine a bit and have the mount bar out to do it, IIRC.

Good luck! The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Click the link below in my sig for the 31 pages of notes. A list of what you need is in there.

As for cable length, I have have many longer cables. I believe Terry cables to be a little long as well. I just put a section of tube under the nut and am done with it. Cheap and easy.
falconfp2001
Thanks Capn and Mr Evil.

I should have everything. At least for the Linkage. I'm almost certain the Engine Mount bar is complete but I'll be checking it out when the car is up.

I've never seen under a car that has the newer mounts so I'm referring to Pictures and the Work Shop manual (not a lot of help but it will have to do).

Frank
76-914
If you need some pic's, I have one on my garage floor that I pulled a few days ago.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 10 2011, 04:57 PM) *

Click the link below in my sig for the 31 pages of notes. A list of what you need is in there.

As for cable length, I have have many longer cables. I believe Terry cables to be a little long as well. I just put a section of tube under the nut and am done with it. Cheap and easy.

I guess my satisfaction with OE and German aftermarket cables has gotten in the way of my encountering cables that don't fit ..........................

The Cap'n
falconfp2001
I found a problem,

The cable is frayed near the pulley. (hope its not hard to replace)

There seems to be a WOT switch missing from under the pedal. (I'm assuming there is suppose to be a button on top that is pressed when the pedal is to the floor. No button with the switch is there)

And the side shift I received does not want to shift after I removed it from the box. (been told that the selectors may have moved forward from being slammed around during shipping. Hope that is the case)

Funny how a weekend project turned into a major restoration of missing and worn parts.

The good news, I'm getting real good at dropping and lifting Engine and Trans. I can hook up the FI in my sleep now.

Dave_Darling
There is no switch on the throttle pedal or floor board. I think you've seen the pedal stop (a plastic screw-in knob on the floor board) and misunderstood what it is there for. It is just to keep the pedal from going too far and overstressing the throttle cable and/or throttle valve.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.