Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biker bob
How do you know if your front shocks need replacing without removing them? Just had my tires balanced at Firestone but beginning at 70mph the steering wheel feels like the tires are out of balance. The vibration gets worse the faster the car goes. Everything in the front end feels good and tight nothing worn that I can tell. Could it be the shocks?
Jeffs9146
take it back!!
tradisrad
what year is the car. early car have lug-centric hubs and the wheels may need to be balanced on the car.
r_towle
What wheels do you have?
Its not easy getting the non-stock wheels to balance unless the shop uses a lug adapter....and the shops that have the right adapter are few and far between.

Rich
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 10 2011, 01:35 PM) *

take it back!!

agree.gif

They need to be high speed spin balanced on the car at a shop that has great techs!
biker bob
The car is a 72 and has Pedrini wheels.
914Sixer
Wheels need to be balanced on the car. You may have a bent rim.
silver74insocal
i knew my struts were shot because my front end would practically catch air going over speed bumps and bounce repeatedly...that and the leak marks beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(biker bob @ Feb 10 2011, 03:54 PM) *

The car is a 72 and has Pedrini wheels.

This tells the story. Hard to balance off the car.
bandjoey
I have the same wheels and the same problem after a normal balance. Took them to a Porsche shop -not a dealer but one that works on older cars-and they removed the crappy rim weights, used the proper lug adapter (no one has this outside of a Bug or P shop) and now the wheels are balanced. $15 per wheel plus the stick on inside weights. Some of the Ark people should know someone there.

You still might need shocks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.