Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brad Penn 20W-50
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
Hello and thanks for looking,
I considering the switch to Brad Penn 20W-50, I would like to hear from anyone who has used and is using this lubricant.
Thanks again,
Mike

bandjoey
It's the oil for 914's. If you do a search, you'll find multiple threads of hundreds of posts, along with a several year oil analysis by Jake Raby (Aircooled Technology). U can't go wrong.
markb
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 10 2011, 05:36 PM) *

It's the oil for 914's. If you do a search, you'll find multiple threads of hundreds of posts, along with a several year oil analysis by Jake Raby (Aircooled Technology). U can't go wrong.

agree.gif
iamchappy
I like it because its green.......
KELTY360
Strictly seat of the pants, but it feels like I added about 300 easy breathing RPM to my tach. Me likey.
Rocky
Anyone have an idea the best place to buy for best $$$???
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rocky @ Feb 10 2011, 06:10 PM) *

Action Auto Parts (Lynnwood) was good when I got mine.

Hey Rocky, wavey.gif hows it going?
bembry
Got mine at the Oil Warehouse online--shipped fast, no hassle.

http://theoilwarehouse.com/page/1i7qh/Products.html
URY914
I use it. aktion035.gif
sww914
Any other oil and my 1.7 with hydraulic lifters complains loudly.
I can't recommend hydro lifters but they're what I have.
I built myself a nice 2056, but I sold it.
6freak
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 10 2011, 06:20 PM) *

Honest Performance has it as well smile.gif
drgchapman
Zinc is the magic, green is cool!
No question the way to go.
I understand Castrol has a high zinc oil again. Should be similar.
VaccaRabite
I use it as well.

Zach
mgphoto
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I am still a bit cautious, this is an original 1.7 and a little leaky, the "partial synthetic" statement concerns me.

I tried a synthetic tranny oil on the advice of a "European Car" flap salesperson, the box began to leak everywhere and then some. Pushed me into a much needed transmission rebuild and now I'm using good ol' dino oil.

I understand the additive package is what the engine needs but the engine, itself is a bit tired (upwards of 330K) and soon going to need a rebuild, I don't want to force the issue till I am ready for that task.

Anyone want to chime in on the synthetic part and what effects, if any on the engine seals of an older high mileage car?

And thanks again for all your comments.
Mike
Jake Raby
Read this link..

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Oil_Concern.pdf
Bartlett 914
Brad Penn oil

Enter your zip and it will show you local delearships
Rocky
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 10 2011, 06:20 PM) *

Thank you all for info!

Doing well Marc. Getting ready for the summer, WCC 2011!!!
mgardstr
Don't want to cause a war, but has anyone using Brad Penn ever tried Harley brand of oil? After all, it's for high performance, air cooled engines. I've got a bunch and thought about using it, but it's pricey!
John
If you are going to the expense of Brad Penn oil, at least make sure you get the right flavor of Brad Penn. Make absolutely sure you are buying the RACING oil. Otherwise you aren't getting what you want.

The RACING oil is the only flavor with the extra ZDDP that is so hyped up currently. I suspect that there are also other brands selling RACING oil that still have sufficient ZDDP, but I'm not paying for the testing when it was already done and the results are freely available.

We can thank all the liberal environmentalist activists for the poor quality oil we have today.

Too bad so many of them weren't alive when fuel oil and soft coal was commonly burned. Back when buildings and the sky were black. And they tell us that we pollute too much today. Bah.
SLITS
I use it in all my /6s and /4s. No problems with leaks on old engines .... they leak any oil.

I have also used Valvoline VR1? racing oil. About the same price.
Montreal914
I just ordered a case from the Oil Warehouse. That was the cheapest place I could find. I punched my zip on their site but the nearest place was a bit more expensive and 1/2 hour drive away. It is on FedEx ground right now... smile.gif
Jake Raby
I know of instances where that source has sent the wrong oil... If it's not Green, do not use it. Read my article, I wrote it just because of that certain instance.

Also, the enviromentalist are not to blame for this. Zinc and Phosphorous at high levels in engine oil kill catalytic converters and o2 sensors in new cars, and new cars today are often leased and not serviced at all, so an oil with a better detergency package is required for them.
mgphoto
Thanks to all who replied, I picked up a case to make the change.
Mike
IronHillRestorations
Small hijack, but within the Brad Penn catagory.

I'm wondering about some of my service equipment, my Kubota commercial mower, all the outdoor equipment I've got with Briggs & Stratton engines, I've got three pieces of equipment that have Honda 18HP water cooled engines, etc. Anyone care to opine?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.