Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reworked Front Chrome Bumper for Oil Cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I could swear I've seen a car or two here that has a chrome front bumper that has been opened up for the oil cooler inlet for a trunk mounted cooler.

Anyone have photos or details they can share about it? smash.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif first.gif

Kev
jim dorociak
What I did years ago when I added a front Mazda oil cooler, was remove the rubber plugs, and I cut the fiberglass front panel and did not cut the bumper itself. More than enough air moved through. I guess you could cut a little material, but as I remember when I had the front license plate it covered some of the new opening anyway, so I am not sure it would be worth the effort. Jim
jk76.914
The factory made at least 2. 914/8

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
sww914
This one isn't chrome but it's all metal and factory made. It's more subtle than the 914-8.
carr914
I've got one at home that I have finished up yet
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 11 2011, 09:31 AM) *

I've got one at home that I have finished up yet

Isnt that a standard reply for you? poke.gif

RIch
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We have made quite a few for customers and actually have one installed on our 1972 retro concept car six 9142430257. We take our original fiberglass gt bumper measure from it, then cut a chrome bumper rewelding the bottom lip up higher and then get another chrome junk bumper for the two vertical sides. We grind it smooth and then send it out to the bumper shop for a rechrome. Looks great, matches the gt front valance perfectly, and certainly provides the cooling opening needed for the gt front oil cooler

QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 10 2011, 11:43 PM) *

I could swear I've seen a car or two here that has a chrome front bumper that has been opened up for the oil cooler inlet for a trunk mounted cooler.

Anyone have photos or details they can share about it? smash.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif first.gif

Kev

GeorgeRud
agree.gif

It's really not all that hard, just cut, weld, and grind. I did mine te same way, but mine's a black bumper, so I didn't have to bother with rechroming, just paint. It does give a very nice, finished look to the front end.

As I have mine registered as an antique vehicle, Illinois allows us to have an appropriate front license plate for the year of the car. I chose to use an european styled front license plate, so it fits perfectly above the narrowed front bumper section. (However, in normal governmental fashion, you have to carry the original issued front license plate in the car along with you, but it does not have to be displayed - makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?).
pcar916
You didn't specify factory style...

Click to view attachment

This bumper is fiberglass but I cut an identical hole in the original steel bumper as well. Stainless mesh makes for no maintenance, and the oil cooler duct behind the hole is sealed on all edges to prevent air from going anywhere else but into the cooler.

On the chrome. Whatever the design you implement, tape it to keep it from pulling up as you cut, go slowly to keep it cool, and make sure the edges are deburred and sealed to keep the chrome from peeling up.

Good luck
SLITS
There are many ways to mount a cooler other than in the front.

Porsche mounted the A/C condenser flat under the front trunk of the car. This should work for an oil cooler too! It had a screen and bar to protect it from being smacked into a parking bumper and protect it from road debris. I always wanted to try this method.

Several cars have the cooler mounted to the underside of the rear trunk with a fan or with fans in case of multiple coolers and seem to do quite well. Mine is mounted in the trunk with a fan on top and works.

One was pictured mounted to the engine lid grill. While purists can claim this will overheat the engine, I would seriously doubt that fact.

Oh well .... let the debate continue ..........
utah914
I've done it.... but only in photoshop. Looks perfect with a chrome bumper if you ask me.

Click to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
I like Computers4kids front bumper!

Click to view attachment
markb
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Feb 11 2011, 12:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Feb 11 2011, 12:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That's MY car!!! and yes i like this look too!! Thanks Mark. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Here are some lousy pictures but shows a real application:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Eric_Shea
There are many ways to mount a cooler other than in the front

But none better...
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 11 2011, 02:36 PM) *

There are many ways to mount a cooler other than in the front

But none better...

Says a man who has never finished one. grouphug.gif
racerbvd
The steel bumper thaT gARY sTRATTON modified for my GT clone..

IPB Image
IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Says a man who has never finished one.

Nope... Three. tongue.gif

Gonna "take you down" next time I see you! slap.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.