Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: buying from out of state
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiddleMan
Somehow, most of the nice 914s I'm finding are located in states other than my own. I'm actually a little surprised by this, though I'm not sure why I should be...

Anyway, since it looks like I'll be buying from at least a couple of states away, I'm wondering how others have dealt with such a situation. I'm pretty nervous about buying a car without looking at it first (in person), but obviously I cannot make multiple trips around the country looking at cars, either.

If you've done it, have you had the car inspected beforehand, or do you just trust the seller? If you've gone with an inspection, how do you choose the person to do it? Just by asking on boards like this, or ??

Since I plan to get something nice, I figure that enclosed shipping is the way to go. I see there are plenty of threads here already covering shipping, so I won't ask about that.

Thanks.
Mike Bellis
I've bought and sold many cars out of state using Ebay. I have not got burned yet. If you find something you like ask one of us to check it out. Honestly, I think your not looking hard enough. There all all sorts of cars here in NorCal. Every week there a 4-5 cars on Craigs List. There are some that pop up in the classifieds here too.

What are you looking for?
AndyB
I have done it. The car was being sold by an Authorized Agent. I have been in constant contact with the selling agent. A PPI has been done and I have received pictures of the car. In my case the Agent is a 914 fanatic which is a plus. But I also trust the Selling Agent and I have met him and shook his hand. I will pick her up this spring. One advantage is she is being stored inside biggrin.gif . My situation may be unique I really dont know but if I was in the market again I would contact the Selling Agent again. If you want to know who I went through pm me. I will tell you to get the PPI thats a must have. And make sure its done by someone that knows these cars inside and out.
Tom_T
welcome.png

Definitely always have someone knowledgeable inspect it first. IMHO - never buy on evil-bay without doing so either - no matter how sweet the deal seems! Just post on here where it is, & for someone local to it to do a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) for you. Also be patient & don't be afraid to take your time to find a good one, nor to negotiate the price you need/want - it's still a buyers' market.

There are PPI checklists at this link from Jeff Bowlsby (he's in the East Bay Area), and also go "upstream" to that main page for other 914 links -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

Frankly, I'm surprised you're not finding what you want inside CA. Maybe post a WTB in the classifieds here & 914club, plus "subscribe" for email notices of the FS car/roller ads here, 914club (also sign-up for their regional Craig's List notices), ClubNARP.com, Pelican & TheSamba (under Porsche cars) - all are dot-coms.

Other originality resources for what was on what years are here:
p914.com
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
& the 914 info link at the top of the pages on here.

Happy Hunting! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
hot_shoe914
Thats strange, out of the 5 I have purchased in the last 3 years, three of them came from California, one of those from Bakersfield, one from Ventura and one from Studio City. Not sure why you can't find one. confused24.gif California is 914 breeding grounds. sheeplove.gif
Pat Garvey
The frst 911 that I bought I did so with nothing but the word of the Tennessee owner (1974). Car was a sporto 911E(which I wanted) delivered on a hook from somewhere in TN. Hydro suspension collapsed (though not disclosed by the seller). Seller never answered any calls. Put about 3500 '74 dollars into it & loved it for 4 years.

Times were different then. I was young & stupid & would never do that again. Lessoned learned & should be a lesson to others today.

An independent PI is a must. If the owner balks, there's a reason.

These cars are ALL very old. Finding a perfect one, or even a near perfect one is rare. Expect to pay for what you get, but get it inspected.

The next 911 that I bought was from a close friend. I still had it inspected. Hurt his feelings a little, but it needed nothing. Then, after my wife drove it home I got in fr a ride & blew the airbox. My fault.

Remember, it's your money.
steveherman
I bought mine from Irvine California.
I had a member from this board look at it.
I had it shipped to Kissimmee Florida.
VERY GLAD I DID!!!
914 shifter
QUOTE(steveherman @ Feb 11 2011, 06:06 PM) *

I bought mine from Irvine California.
I had a member from this board look at it.
I had it shipped to Kissimmee Florida.
VERY GLAD I DID!!!

my Dad lives in kissimmee.when i visit i will look you up beerchug.gif
underthetire
Just don't buy an out of state 76. And there are some nice ones here
speed metal army
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 11 2011, 06:22 PM) *

??Why no OOS 76'? confused24.gif
dirk9141973
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 11 2011, 06:22 PM) *

I have bought 3 cars on ebay sight unseen and no problems (1973 914, AMG SL500, and C320 wagon) The key to auction buying is dont get personaly involved. Remember cars are made by the thousands with the internet everone knows reasonable value $. Remember the golden rule of any Porsche purchase 1. they all leak oil 2. If you cant afford two you can't afford one.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Feb 11 2011, 08:06 PM) *

Because CA still makes you smog the 76es.

--DD
Steve
I bought a 993 in AZ and it was a big mistake. It was on ebay and didn't sell. I used to live in AZ and trusted a local shop for a ppi. They listed what was wrong with it, but since they were a repair shop they had limited knowledge on whether it was ever wrecked or not. They said it looked like a good deal for the price. I flew to AZ from CA and checked it out. New paint job and it looked like it was in a fender bender but repaired properly. Also had a clean car fax. It had a new top, so they said do not lower it because it was still stretching?? The car was beautiful and I fell in love with it and then I bought it and drove it back to CA. After getting it home i waited a week and tried to lower the top and it went down but would not go back up. Cost me $2k in parts to fix the top. I later bought a M030 kit for it and the local shop said the frame was bent from the accident and they charged me extra to corner balance the car. Long story short if its a 914 have local members check it out. If the 911 was a 914 everything would of been obvious to me. I assumed a 993 would be similar to a 914 and I was wrong. If you get a PPI make sure they know 914's.
underthetire
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 11 2011, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Feb 11 2011, 08:06 PM) *

Because CA still makes you smog the 76es.

--DD

And most out of state 76's have had the smog parts removed.
avidfanjpl
I bought my 73 in OR 2 years ago, and a 75 donor from OK 3 years ago

My 6 is from CA - a 75 and no smog! Bought it 2 weeks ago today, and I got the title today. Woohoo!

The weird thing is I want another 914. a 2 liter 74 original.

Then I will have one from each year I like.

No smog, and there are more in CA than anywhere, it seems

J
carr914
I have bought 914s from Members here sight unseen in Washington and Indiana - no problems
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.