Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Stud Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So I bought this set of 5 lug hubs and noticed the stud is not threaded all the way to the tip. Will I have not enough material to hold onto the lug nut ? My second question is the bosses are not welded on. Is that ok and safe ?

Thanks guys !

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
messix
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Feb 11 2011, 11:04 PM) *

So I bought this set of 5 lug hubs and noticed the stud is not threaded all the way to the tip. Will I have not enough material to hold onto the lug nut ? My second question is the bosses are not welded on. Is that ok and safe ?

Thanks guys !

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

it's all good
URY914
Looks just like mine. You're all good.
jaxdream
Depends if you need to run spacers or not , those IIRC are called bullet nose , easy wheel mounting and lug nut threading . Measure from the begining of the threads down to the flat surface of the hubs , subtract the thickness of the rotor and that will give you an idea of how much thread you have to work with . If you have some wheels loose ( 5 lug Porsche or what the pattern is for ) and a rotor , place the rotor over the hub , stick this through the wheel and see how much stud comes through .You'll need a good amount to mount the lug nut to , I would want at least a 1/2 inch or better depending on what lug nut you want to use . Good luck ...

Jack / Jaxdream
Cap'n Krusty
Those are 14mm studs. International standards require AT LEAST 14mm of thread engagement. If you have to pass tech for an event, they're gonna look for that.

The Cap'n
underthetire
Mock everything up before you put them in. I did to make sure I could get my spacers and such in. It's real easy to put new studs in now if you have to. Contact johnathan at GPR if you need longer studs.
jaxdream
Thanks Cap'n pray.gif , I knew there was a certain length , just wasn't sure of the calculation . Thanks again , I'll mark this in my notes .

Jack / Jaxdream
913B
So the length from the hub face to the end of the stud is 35mm. Thanks all for the advice. I am just going to run it on a stock 914 solid rotor and a fuch wheel, narrow body, nothing fancy. I believe the consensus is that I will be ok. I am believing the bosses that are not welded should be ok too since it is only for the street and stock 1.7. I just needed confirmation.

Thank you.

Click to view attachment
DanT
aren't standard Verbus studs 45mm face to end?
after these go thru the brake hub, and install a wheel on it, I don't think there will be enough stud length to properly engage the lug nut....plus about 8mm of the length of these studs is clear with no threads...
Just my 2 cents smile.gif
stock alloy lug bolts are 38mm threaded portion.
913B
Thats what I thought too 45mm, when I measured mines and said oh crap I need to replace them. Then I get this pic of some 45mm verbus studs. So apparently 10mm gets pressed into the hub. Unless I am assuming wrong ??

Click to view attachment
DanT
that is correct, but then on the bullet studs you have on the hubs at least 8mm or so is clear....I don't think they will give you enough thread engagement. sad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(DanT @ Feb 12 2011, 10:02 AM) *
I don't think they will give you enough thread engagement. sad.gif

agree.gif
underthetire
Again, just put the rotor and wheel on it and check it. Takes 5 minutes confused24.gif
gothspeed
You have an awesome avatar, so everything is fine!!! shades.gif

Ok as far as the 'bosses', when I get mine done I will try to get them brazed on ...... just for the 'comfort' factor. But it does seem this is the way many peeps run them and I have not heard of them failing ..... anyone?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.