Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Search failed. Anyone done home powder coating?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
First anyone bought a powder coating gun from Harbor Freight?

How well did it work?

Did you use your kitchen oven? biggrin.gif

Did it stink up the house?

Did your wife catch you? unsure.gif
Did you get the look? You married guys know what I'm talking about.dry.gif

I have some wheels I need to get powder coated in order to get the Ravenna car off jack stands.
mepstein
You want to buy a used oven off craigslist and put it in the garage or workshop.
ejm
The problem with powdercoating your home is finding an oven big enough. biggrin.gif
spare time toys
How soon you need this? I have the stuff other than an oven I can send you to try if you want. I just cant get to storage to dig around untill monday.
Beach914
You should definitely not use your home oven to cure the powder. I agree with mepstein in that you should buy an old oven on Craigslist or at a garage sale. And as stated above you will only be able to do small parts that will fit into an oven.
I worked for a major lock manufacturer in Colorado for 10 years and we constantly researched and used the best epoxy and acrylic powders available for your doorknobs. Baking is usually done at about 315 - 350 degrees for about 2o minutes as I recall. Degreasing and rinsing the parts is also critical. We did ours on an automated conveyor line. Too bad I was raising kids instead of working on cars back then.

It would try it if I had the money and space for an oven.

ONTHEGRIND
I have been coating in my garage for the past 5 years mostly engine based coating not so much powder coating as I rather have performance over looks I have a commercial based oven as well as a small chicago electric oven that I use for smaller parts..

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
stewteral
[quote name='rick 918-S' date='Feb 12 2011, 10:04 AM' post='1430475']
First anyone bought a powder coating gun from Harbor Freight?

Hey Rick 918-S,

I am LOVIN' Powder coating car parts using the Harbor Freight kit!

-How well did it work?
==> It took a little practice, but I found that the powder must be "floated" to the target piece using the high voltage power supply to DRAW it to the surface. I have my airflow set at 30 PSI, static, and pulse the trigger to puff in short bursts.

-Did you use your kitchen oven?
==> ABSOLUTELY! ....for everything that will fit.

-Did it stink up the house?
==> NO....while it can be smelled, it's not unpleasant and it dissipates quickly.
If you see smoke, you are cooking too long!

-Did your wife catch you? unsure.gif
==> NO Wife, BUT, I learned to be CAREFUL walking from the garage to the oven
as the smallest shock will shake off some powder. I learned to hold a box or platter under the parts during transport. Also, I now have a partially powder coated oven door. smile.gif

==> Not only do I get a great tough finish, it is SO QUICK! I hang the parts in a cold electric oven, turn setting to 375 deg. and in 8-10 Minutes, it's Done! No more priming, waiting, painting, waiting and then trying to NOT scratch the finished part!!!!

-Did you get the look? You married guys know what I'm talking about.dry.gif
==> FANTASTIC!! I did all the shroud metal for the 411 engine in a flat black along with the valve covers! For my V8 914, I did a piece in my breather system in a beautiful gloss black.

-I have some wheels I need to get powder coated in order to get the Ravenna car off jack stands.
==> I used to worry about powder coating Alu wheels, but since the temps are so low and for a short time, there should be no problem I can see. I'll powder coat my 411 powered 914 with a great looking silver. Eastwood has every color you could want and from what I've seen have the best pricing, without buying 50 lbs.
HOWEVER, IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A LOW-PRICED POWDER VENDOR, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!

Best,
Terry
rick 918-S
Thanks Everyone. Hey Larry, I'm just going to buy the stuff and have it around incase I want to do somemore stuff later but thanks for the offer!
Elliot Cannon
I don't gave space for an oven in my garage, so I take my stuff to a commercial powder coating shop. They have ovens large enough to do a truck frame. If you use your own oven, don't you need 220 volts or can you use a gas oven?
ONTHEGRIND
the small oven I have is only 20x20x20 inside which doesn't take to much space.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 12 2011, 05:44 PM) *

I don't gave space for an oven in my garage, so I take my stuff to a commercial powder coating shop. They have ovens large enough to do a truck frame. If you use your own oven, don't you need 220 volts or can you use a gas oven?

I have a big garage and lots of power for welders and stuff. There used to be a powder coater about 4 miles from me but they went out of business. dry.gif It's hard to make money when you have to run huge ovens and stuff in a cold climate.
IronHillRestorations
I got an Eastwood "Hot-Coat" kit years ago, and it works great. Just like any paint, surface prep is crucial to good adhesion. After some experimenting I found the temps they listed were too hot.

The hardest part is getting the larger powder coated part from the rack into the oven without bumping into something and knocking the powder off.

I got a used oven for $50 and it works great. Small gas welding rod works well for custom hangers.
McMark
I built my own oven for about $50. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Easy.

I'm thinking about building a bigger two-element oven soon.

Feel free to call me tomorrow Rick and I can tell you all my experiences with powdercoating.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 12 2011, 08:33 PM) *

I built my own oven for about $50. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Easy.

I'm thinking about building a bigger two-element oven soon.

Feel free to call me tomorrow Rick and I can tell you all my experiences with powdercoating.

Cool, about 10:00 am your time?
McMark
That's fine. phone.gif
Gint
You've seen that oven in my garage right Rick? Cost me $15 at a garage sale. You do not want to use the oven in your house. The powder stinks like mad. I don't know if it's really toxic, but you won't know that from the smell.

Like Perry said, It's can be a pita getting parts to the oven. Avoid knocking your rack around or the powder has a tendency to fall off the parts.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 13 2011, 09:40 AM) *

You've seen that oven in my garage right Rick? Cost me $15 at a garage sale. You do not want to use the oven in your house. The powder stinks like mad. I don't know if it's really toxic, but you won't know that from the smell.

Like Perry said, It's can be a pita getting parts to the oven. Avoid knocking your rack around or the powder has a tendency to fall off the parts.

Ya, I do remember seeing it now. We just got a new gas oven. I don't think Sandy would be too amused if I had powder fall off inside the new oven and attach itself to the new oven. dry.gif biggrin.gif I'll do something else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.