Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennshifter Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
I have a Rennshifter coming in the next few days, so I wanted to know if any of you out there that have installed one in the past have any tricks of the trade to make the install easier.

I gather that putting the tranny into second gear before removal of the stocker makes install a bit easier since the shifter/tranny will be in the center shift plane...
Any other tricks about adjustment etc?

here is a pic of what I have coming. smile.gif

thanks

Pics of your installs would be appreciated. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
Tip #1 Don't let your wife know what you paid for it. av-943.gif lol-2.gif shades.gif
DanT
too late, she already knows.... smile.gif
Lucky for me she lets me do basically as I like when it comes to my toys... biggrin.gif
This is my 10th Porsche in 20 years, and I have made money on all but one (bought a Boxster too early)
So she usually leaves me alone as long as I am having fun with them..
dlkawashima
Hi Dan, how are you going to go about opening the hole in the center console? I think you mentioned you were going to get the larger 915 cover ..... will there be enough room for that with the center console in place? I'm wondering if the OE vinyl boot would work best?

Don't know if you've seen this one but here's a thread on how to open the hole on the center console:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=45264
DanT
Right now I have the center console out of the car...I have the center gauge section attached to the original console attachment under the dash...
I plan on using the existing console pieces as templates to make a new one out of ABS plastic or maybe 3/8 or 1/2" high grade plywood...and then do a little upholstery to it.
I plan on taking the original design and modifying it for my purposes. Might also see if I can find a console out of an SC or Carrera and see if I can modify it to work in the 914.
I just want the portion from the gauges rearward towards the seats....the portion forward of the gauges on the tunnel I plan on removing so that area will be open from driver's footwell to passenger's footwell.
Anyway, for now the shifter will not have to worry about the console opening..
When I redo the console I will be making the shifter hole large enough for the shifter.

Modifying one of these might work smile.gif
Steve
Your on the right track. Put the stock one in second gear, before you install the Rennshift. The Rennshift is spring loaded to left and the right, so it will be all set with 2nd gear when you install it. Besides that there are two throwlimit Allen screws in the front and back. Adjust these for second and 5th gear. Make sure you can put it in all gears before the test drive and bring an Allen wrench for the adjusters just in case. I didn't adjust the one for fifth gear properly and could not shift into fifth. All I had todo was readjust the Allen set screw on the side of the road to fix it. Otherwise the kit is idiot proof and drastically improves the shifting over stock.
Eric_Shea
Get the linkage as well. wink.gif
DanT
eventually biggrin.gif
DanT
the shifter opening in the 911 console is definitely large enough for the Rennshifter biggrin.gif
BKLA
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 12 2011, 03:34 PM) *

Your on the right track. Put the stock one in second gear, before you install the Rennshift. The Rennshift is spring loaded to left and the right, so it will be all set with 2nd gear when you install it. Besides that there are two throwlimit Allen screws in the front and back. Adjust these for second and 5th gear. Make sure you can put it in all gears before the test drive and bring an Allen wrench for the adjusters just in case. I didn't adjust the one for fifth gear properly and could not shift into fifth. All I had todo was readjust the Allen set screw on the side of the road to fix it. Otherwise the kit is idiot proof and drastically improves the shifting over stock.

agree.gif

Dan, I'm an idiot and I did it Exactly as noted above. The shifter is nice but the linkage is da bomb. If I decide to go to a side shifter on my new conversion Project, I'll keep the stock shifter with new springs and update the linkage!
PeeGreen 914
Dan, it is about as straight forward as you could hope. You'll get it in no time. Once in you can also set the throw locks. It is amazing how much you can dial this shifter in and simple it is to do.
Jerry75914
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 12 2011, 09:31 PM) *

Dan, it is about as straight forward as you could hope. You'll get it in no time. Once in you can also set the throw locks. It is amazing how much you can dial this shifter in and simple it is to do.

I absolutely love mine, you will not be disappointed. One tiny tip I would throw out there, the polished portion of the lever is screwed onto the base that goes in the shifter mechanism...every so often, mine gets loose, no biggie, but a couple drops of thread locker would solve it.
Steve
QUOTE(BKLA @ Feb 12 2011, 09:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 12 2011, 03:34 PM) *

agree.gif

Dan, I'm an idiot and I did it Exactly as noted above. The shifter is nice but the linkage is da bomb. If I decide to go to a side shifter on my new conversion Project, I'll keep the stock shifter with new springs and update the linkage!

I went with the PMS linkage because I didnt want to deal with the welding part, but I agree the rubber bushings are pathetic and having metal to metal all the way through is a major improvement. I can actually feel it going into gear versus the vague mushy feeling and yes I did have all new bushings before the swap.
RON S.

I absolutely love mine, you will not be disappointed. One tiny tip I would throw out there, the polished portion of the lever is screwed onto the base that goes in the shifter mechanism...every so often, mine gets loose, no biggie, but a couple drops of thread locker would solve it.
[/quote]

I agreee agree.gif . Locktite the fasteners that you are sure you'll never have to take apart again. I had to take my shifter out after a year of use because the flat head bolts holding the bas to the housing had worked loose. Once I locktited them in, I haven't had them come loose since.

Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.