Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Options for tranny mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lennies914
It's time for new rear trans mounts. Looking at PP, they offer two 911 sport mounts, one from Germany and one from Rein Automotive. Both the same price. Is one any better than the other? They also offer a solid mount kit. Does anyone have any pros or cons on these?
Thanks in advance for any input.
914Sixer
I think the solid is for racing only. Solid would be really noisy for street use I would think.
DanT
agree.gif solid mounts on a street car would be pretty noisy along with adding some harshness to the overall driving experience.
Eric_Shea
Richard Parr printed a diatribe on how they ruin everything on the planet.
Mike Bellis
I made soild mounts for my last V8 conversion. The noise increase was not bad but it was a V8. I kept breaking poly 911 mounts just by letting the clutch out at idle. The car I have now uses Renegade mounts. They are mostly soild with a square chunk of very high durometer poly.
degreeoff
Well my $.02 is they are loud but then again everything on my car is loud and it is damn near a race car.........but drivability is good as they make for a SOLID shifting car!

josh
Lennies914
Well I'm not looking to create problems from vibration. Are the 911 sport mounts firmer than the originals? A happy medium sounds good.

Thanks again
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Feb 12 2011, 06:46 PM) *

Well I'm not looking to create problems from vibration. Are the 911 sport mounts firmer than the originals? A happy medium sounds good.

Thanks again

The 911 mount are an upgrade from the 914. Go for poly!
J P Stein
I like the WEVO's.
They work best if ya tighten up the big bolt. biggrin.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 12 2011, 06:50 PM) *

I like the WEVO's.

Who sells these?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Feb 12 2011, 07:01 PM) *

I like the WEVO's.

Who sells these?

Wevo poke.gif

Google them. they are in the Bay. Menlo Park? Palo Alto?
rick 918-S
I have 350+ rear wheel HP with solid mounts on both the engine and transaxle. My car has solid shifting and instant throttle delivery/power to the ground. I don't know what rubber mounts have to do with noise. The rubber mounts are a vibration isolator.
Lennies914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 12 2011, 07:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Feb 12 2011, 07:01 PM) *

I like the WEVO's.

Who sells these?

Wevo poke.gif

Google them. they are in the Bay. Menlo Park? Palo Alto?

Thanks Mike, That Google thang works purty good for that huh.gif

Those are definitly nice, but I guess I'm on the 914 budget, not the 911 sad.gif
J P Stein
WEVO makes front mounts also ...if you're in the market.

Rick.
Industry came up with the acronym NVH to lump things together. Nuclear subs
believe in it, shouldn't we?
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Feb 12 2011, 06:30 PM) *

Well my $.02 is they are loud but then again everything on my car is loud and it is damn near a race car.........but drivability is good as they make for a SOLID shifting car!

josh

Well...said
Britain Smith
Don't go solid...stick with the WEVO mounts and you will be very happy.

-Britain
Dr Evil
911 Sporto mounts are the best, economical upgrade from the stock units. I always use them and am very happy overall. No complaints thumb3d.gif
tomh
sport mounts,the only way to go
markb
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 12 2011, 09:49 PM) *

911 Sporto mounts are the best, economical upgrade from the stock units. I always use them and am very happy overall. No complaints thumb3d.gif

agree.gif
underthetire
Sport mounts here to.
Britain Smith
I disagree...the Sport mounts where never intended to be mounted in the hanging orientation that the rear transmission mounts are positioned. The WEVO mounts were specifically designed for this application. In addition, the feel of the WEVO mounts is noticable over the sport mounts and are not that much more expensive if I remember correctly.

-Britain
dion9146
Reading this thread with interest because I've been running the solid tranny mounts in my 6 for a long time. As a matter of fact, I was using these same mounts in my first 4 cylinder 914 fifteen years ago. They have just followed me from car to car. Mine are the solid 'plastic' Welts I think.

I'm running 911 sport mounts up front, and I like the combo. The car shifts great but I have no idea if it is louder. It's a 3.2 with a hollowed 2 in, 2 out muffler. I can't hear much anyway. driving.gif
Lennies914
Thanks for all the input. Wevos are certainly nice mounts but they are $60 more per unit. I ordered up some sporto's.
nsr-jamie
Looks like I am too late but I have solid aluminum tranny mounts from HPH (High Performance House) and those work nice...I didn't notice any extra noise or vibrations and the shifting has slightly improved or feels a bit more direct and I like it. Price was good too and easy to install.
rick 918-S
I don't get the "louder" reference.

IMHO- Rubber mounts are civilian and designed to take up vibrations for a smoother driving experience. The reason for changing them to a more ridgid material is rubber ones break during hi-po driving. They are not designed for extreme stress.
I have always run solid mounts on all my hotrods. I had a friend bust a turbo 350 transmission case once by running a solid transmission mount and rubber engine mounts.

Sporto mounts have been used as a substitute for years. There are many other options.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 13 2011, 08:12 AM) *

I don't get the "louder" reference.

Any vibration above 20Hz transfers into noise. It's physics
whatabout1
I was told to use the same stiffness mounts for engine and tranny.

The logic was, if you use solids on your tranny and softer ones on the engine,
any flexing of the driveline will be absorbed at the tranny intermediate plate.
The tranny inter plate is a weak point already.

I have no idea if it's true but makes sense. Sport mounts all around for me.
Eric_Shea
My 9lebbin tranny was mounted incorrectly and it was N-O-I-S-E-Y. With a solid mout a "tremendous" amount of gear noise was transmitted through the body into the cabin. So much so, I thought I had a bad throwout bearing or a bad clutch.

Rick, a V8 6" from your noodle may have something to do with it. biggrin.gif That and the tranny being in the rear.

I've vote stock (if you can find some in decent shape) or sport mounts. for a street driven car. I see the load on the 911 mounts the same as it would be if they had an engine hanging off them in a 911... I haven't dug in that deep though. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(markb @ Feb 12 2011, 10:02 PM) *
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 12 2011, 09:49 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.