Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction: New guy 72/73 914 2.0l Hyd Liffters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
texag09
New guy here from Houston. Just picked up my first 914 of the Samba with a trade of a dune buggy.

Me:

23 Year old, Male, Work for a large enginnering company and I am car crazy. (other cars: 2010 F150 Supercrew, 1964 Ford Fairlane 500, 1948 Ford F5 COE, 1947 International KB6)

The Car:

It is a 72 that has been upgraded to a 2.0l with hydraulic lifters. I have been told it has a 73 clip on the front not sure what if any the differance between 72 and 73 front is. Shows its age but its fairly solid.

One quick question is there a guide about re indexing the shift linkage. PO replaced all the bushings but its really hard to get into 1 or R i think it needs to be reindexed.

Thanks.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

72, 73, 74 look almost the same. Welcome to the madness!
Tom_T
welcome.png

It may just need the linkages, etc. adjusted if the PO changed out the shift bushings.
Dave_Darling
Welcome! Pick up a Haynes manual; it's one of the better paper resources out there. It has a section about adjusting the shift linkage. So does Pelican Parts' website (see my sig) in the 914 Tech Articles section. And I bet Dr. Evil has the info in the 30+ pages of transmission stuff he keeps around.

BTW, ditch the single-carb setup. Duals are the only way to go, if you're not going with fuel injection...

--DD
Lennies914
welcome.png

beerchug.gif congrats

Search for Dr Evil and click on his sig notes. There is more there than you need to know.
mojorisen914
welcome.png

I agree; get rid of the single carb.
tomh
sounds like you have a bus engine and a tail shifter,Have fun!
AndyB
welcome.png And read the Evil ones tranny pages
Gint
welcome.png My reply regarding specifics would just be a repeat of Dave's post above.
texag09
Single cars are gone webers are rebuilt and adjusted on the motor now. Just waiting on aircleaners now (will be here friday thanks to UPS).

I will check out the tech article. Not knowing much about these yet it seems like it might be one or two spines off to the driverside.
JeffBowlsby
From the factory manual... biggrin.gif

Also found here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

Tom
welcome.png
A small addition to the adjustment. Before moving the shift rod, make a couple of marks as reference - just in case. It will help you to know which way makes it better or worse.
Good luck with your new toy,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.