Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Believe MPS is bad- now what?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_teener
So after about 2 years of trouble free spirited driving... looks like the MPS in my 73 1.7 D-jet gave up the ghost. Motor has some miles from the PO...don't know how many but my compression checks out fine. Right now the car won't run or start at all. My fuel pressure checks out fine.

I did all the tests on the Anders web site just to make sure the harness is okay. I did them at the ECU terminals. The car has spark. The only anomoly I could find is that the injectors tested at a little over 3 ohms... NO. 1 cylinder 4.1 ohms NO 2. 3.5 ohms. No. 3. 3.6 ohms and No 4. was 2.8 ohms. I don't know if this is acceptable and wether or not I should rebuild the injectors.

Anyway then I pulled the MPS to check for vacum....no go... wouldn't even hold 1 pound. Everthing on the MPS looked stock...no screws rivets were original and still had the epoxy plug in the back. Part is Bosch NO. 0280100049.

Question for the forum is:

1. Brad talks about a rebuilt units from Automotion. I went to the web site but got a gal who couldn't answer any questions about the part. I am sort of concerned about the calibration and wether or not the rebuilt part will have a problem with the mixture. Does anybody have any experience with MPS rebuilt units and maybe some other suggestions or experience with rebuilt MPS's? Should I have the mixture checked with a CO meter after installing and who rebuilds a unit that is calibrated to the stock settings? Who does the best rebuild?

2. I think I want to also have the injectors rebuilt and cleaned while I am at it to make sure everything on the FI system works for a while. Who is reasonable for cleaning the injectors?

3. Anything else I should check out while I am at it?....I am committed to FI so don't say pitch it!

Thanks in Advance for Help and Advice.

silver74insocal
theres a place in riverslime that will clean and test your injectors..i think around 17 bucks each. theres no rebuilding them that i am aware of but am no expert. if they dont test good, he wont charge you for that one. now if i could only think of the name...
detoxcowboy
There are a couple people I know whom can recalibrate or check your calibration, should you decided to just get a used one but have concerns or get a used one of a different part. # and want it calidrated to your 1.7 ect.. As far as rebuilt depends on whom rebuilds it>>
Lennies914
Injectors;
http://witchhunter.com/
detoxcowboy
Are you in Riverside.. pm 914xprs he will have another mps and also knows who calibrates them, Terry sells them and Mike Shantz also in Riverside has the tool for calibration and may also have an mps for you as well, they both have been through a grip of 914's .. Mike is an engineer and build engines for the 914..
914_teener
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 12 2011, 07:56 PM) *

Are you in Riverside.. pm 914xprs he will have another mps and also knows who calibrates them, Terry sells them and Mike Shantz also in Riverside has the tool for calibration and may also have an mps for you as well, they both have been through a grip of 914's .. Mike is an engineer and build engines for the 914..

I'm in Glendora so Riverside isn't too far.

Thanks Rich. The place in WA looks reasonable for the injectors. I'll send Mike a PM.
pyolet
Sounds like your MPS is toast. Don't think it's rebuildable.

Got my injectors serviced/tested at http://www.cruzinperformance.com/

He did mine with about a one week turnaround. You can see your flow test results online.

Woody
hot_shoe914
I have several MPS and will check tomorrow and see if I have that part number. I will let you know.

Shoe
Bleyseng
Buy and install a new 012 CHT......
914Sixer
Why waste your money on testing used injectors? New ones are around $50-$55 each.
sfrenck
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 13 2011, 08:09 AM) *

Why waste your money on testing used injectors? New ones are around $50-$55 each.

Rich @ Cruzinperformance cleaned and tested mine - the price I saved over new ones almost covered the price of my MPS!
914 shifter
914_teener
QUOTE(914 shifter @ Feb 13 2011, 06:32 AM) *

Reply:

Yes thanks about the advice on the CHT....however it tests okay. Do you think I should replace anyway?

Yes I thought abut getting posting for a used one but what I was really wondering was is there a rebuilder that the forum has consencus on that is reliable and can adjust to an used engine mixture due to a different vacum characteristic.

Thanks for all the feedback.
sfrenck
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 13 2011, 09:43 AM) *

Reply:

Yes thanks about the advice on the CHT....however it tests okay. Do you think I should replace anyway?

Yes I thought abut getting posting for a used one but what I was really wondering was is there a rebuilder that the forum has consencus on that is reliable and can adjust to an used engine mixture due to a different vacum characteristic.

I bought a rebuilt Fuel Injection Corporation MPS (with warranty) from Parts Heaven (Google them - located in Hayward, CA). I went the WTB method first - ended up with a dead one.
Bleyseng
hope you got your money back!
914_teener
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Feb 13 2011, 05:25 PM) *

Reply:

I bought a rebuilt Fuel Injection Corporation MPS (with warranty) from Parts Heaven (Google them - located in Hayward, CA). I went the WTB method first - ended up with a dead one.

Yes...I think that is the company I will go with.

How did the car run after you installed it?

Just out of interest I took the MPS apart....ground the rivets off just to see.

Completly split the diaphram all the way around.
larss
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 13 2011, 04:45 AM) *

Anyway then I pulled the MPS to check for vacum....no go... wouldn't even hold 1 pound.

Yes your MPS is gone so you need to replace i but the engine should still start (by the cold start at least). D-jet can be run (badly) even if the MPS is unplugged (electrically), I would check one injector and see if it is spraying.

/Lars S
sfrenck
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 14 2011, 09:08 AM) *

Reply:

I've just finished my conversion from the original single carb back to factory FI. I've only had VERY LIMITED driving time (snow, cold weather) - but all seems well. PH seemed to have the best price IIRC. They even let me exchange my '73 MPS back for a '74 after I couldn't find the correct '73 CHT.
914_teener
QUOTE(larss @ Feb 14 2011, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 13 2011, 04:45 AM) *

Anyway then I pulled the MPS to check for vacum....no go... wouldn't even hold 1 pound.

Yes your MPS is gone so you need to replace i but the engine should still start (by the cold start at least). D-jet can be run (badly) even if the MPS is unplugged (electrically), I would check one injector and see if it is spraying.

/Lars S

Lars,

Yes and it would start and then cut out.....I figure that when the idle would change or I would kick the throttle this would displace the diaphram richening the mixture and then flood...it would.... and you could see the mixture vapor from the injectors coming out the exhaust when it stalled! So I notioned either CHT or MPS. Well during the check...with the car running....I shorted to ground the CHT...as I had read was a quick test to see if it is the CHT. No problem...no effect...but when I did that once, the lead on the CHT to ground arced once to ground and then it wouldn't start at all. I am hoping I didn't short out the ECU NOW! headbang.gif Anyway...you are right it should still run even without the MPS...so now I figure I need to check more things or something I did when I was testing it.

For sure I need to do a check on the injectors...if not remove them and service them and have them flow tested. I am also going to check the CSV to make sure it isn't stuck open.
914_teener
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Feb 14 2011, 09:24 AM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 14 2011, 09:08 AM) *

Reply:

I've just finished my conversion from the original single carb back to factory FI. I've only had VERY LIMITED driving time (snow, cold weather) - but all seems well. PH seemed to have the best price IIRC. They even let me exchange my '73 MPS back for a '74 after I couldn't find the correct '73 CHT.

Ok...thanks for the feedback on Parts Heaven and here is what info and pricing I have on rebuilt MPS:

Parts Heaven $530

Automotion (Anders site suggestion) $ 132

Go figure $400 difference?

I haven't contacted Fuel Injection Corp yet.

Here is another concern I have heard voiced as well. That I can't get the matching CHT number as well for this year. I have a new one from George at AA....so I tested it across the the leads and I get a slightly higher resistance reading at 68deg than suggested on the Anders site.

I am hoping this journey will help others when their MPS takes a crap.
Anyway looking at the diaphram itself .....simple stamped part...probably a prog. tool sitting in a Bosch warehouse in Europe somewhere!
sfrenck
Don't know what to tell you there - I (and a friend of mine) both got our MPSs from PH for $165 +core last summer (person I spoke to there was named Jeff).

Also, Automotion's website lists the MPS @ $197 + core.... confused24.gif

I would have listed my pricing earlier - but I don't know if it's proper on this site (Sorry Admins if this is the case).
Bleyseng
Last I heard PH MPS rebuilds are all set to 1.7 calibrations, is this still true?
sfrenck
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 15 2011, 07:30 AM) *

Last I heard PH MPS rebuilds are all set to 1.7 calibrations, is this still true?

I was not told that... also, my PH MPS (and my friend's) was actually from Fuel Injection Corp (unless they put their MPS in an FIC box). I have no way to test the MPS, so I'll go happily along believing that mine is correctly calibrated - only based on the fact that they wanted more $$ for the '73 2.0 MPS than a '74 2.0 MPS.

I contacted FIC via this board once (member FIC72)- I believe he offers a 914world "discount".
brenz
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Feb 15 2011, 07:24 AM) *

Don't know what to tell you there - I (and a friend of mine) both got our MPSs from PH for $165 +core last summer (person I spoke to there was named Jeff).

Also, Automotion's website lists the MPS @ $197 + core.... confused24.gif

I would have listed my pricing earlier - but I don't know if it's proper on this site (Sorry Admins if this is the case).

For what it's worth I'm the friend Scott speaks of. I do remember seeing the MPS listed on Parts Heaven website as $530. I think that might have been for a new one. I called and also talked to Jeff and he quoted me $165 for a rebuilt '74 2.0. He only had one at the time. He said the rebuilder goes by manufacturer specs, but I don't know either what that means. My car is not 100% up and running so can't comment on the calibration. It's worth a call anyway.

Bryan
SLITS
Not sure what FIC does, in that they bought Brett Instruments who did all the MPS rebuilding at one time in the past.

Brett had diaphrams made of stamped steel. The flex characteristics were not the same a stock, but did work. At that time they had an NOS MPS (can't remember if it was a 1.7 or 2.0) and they were calibrated to it

The second method of "rebuild" is to scarf a good diaphram from another unit that is good (no matter the number as long as the diaphram is configured the same).

It's a crap shoot ......

Oh, the last time I heard, a new MPS (if still available) was $1600+
Bleyseng
yes, I have seen a bunch of stamped steel diaphrams and don't like the throttle response they have. Brett did use a copper diaphram for many years but it had less pleats than the OEM ones.
The best rebuild units is using a OEM diaphram in a good body and recalibrate it to the engine you have. Smoothest running by far!
ConeDodger
If someone doesn't solve the diaphragm problem for the stock 1.7 - 2.0 MPS soon the only thing you will be able to do when you believe your MPS is bad is to find others who also believe your MPS is bad and start a church. At least then, you can write off your expenses...
tod914
There was a topic sometime ago, that Bosch has a rebuild service for them. Not sure what their limitations are in regarding what's rebuildable and what is not.
914_teener
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 15 2011, 11:11 AM) *

If someone doesn't solve the diaphragm problem for the stock 1.7 - 2.0 MPS soon the only thing you will be able to do when you believe your MPS is bad is to find others who also believe your MPS is bad and start a church. At least then, you can write off your expenses...

laugh.gif

Ok...update. Looks like Parts Heaven and find a local calibration expert once the part lands back to me if I have response problems.

Going to yank the injectors this weekend replace fuel line elbows and go through the top end while I wait for the MPS next week.

Wish me luck.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.