Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: www.Where2Race.com
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
All,

I mentioned this in the WCR thread, but I wanted to share a side project with everyone and keep you all informed of updates.

I have created a website called www.where2race.com.

If you haven't seen it yet, the site allows you to find events for clubs in your area and enables you to build a schedule for the year so that you can keep track of everything in one central location. You can also follow clubs and venues that you are interested in and find events that are occurring that you might not be aware of. The site also allows those who attend many types of racing events (i.e. autocross, karting, track event, etc) to locate and keep track of the schedules across multiple disciplines.

We have recently rolled out several new features to help finding motorsport events even easier. You can now search for events on a map based interface and filter down to your area to visually locate events. There is a new friends list feature where you can add your friends to your list to be able to view their calenders. You can also view your selected events on a personalized calender and export events to Outlook/Google calenders. We have also obtained the domain www.wheretorace.com and have brought our Google rankings up to the first page for many popular searches.

If you have not joined yet, be sure to check it out. If you are an event organizer, create an account for your club and start listed events right away to increase your clubs exposure and ultimately increase attendance. If you want to see your clubs events listed on the site, drop a message to your clubs organizers and notify them of the site. The site is free for drivers and free for clubs so there is nothing to loose.

I have add the 914World to the list of club and listed the 2011 WCR in Medford under the list of events. Create an account and add it to your list.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions...feel free to drop me a message.

-Britain

You can also find us on Facebook.

Note: McMark, if you are interested in taking ownership of the club 914World on the site, drop me a note with your login email and I can transfer ownership to you and you can enter all the upcoming 914World related motorsports events.
McMark
Cool site!

I'm not much of a racer. We should find someone who is more involved. idea.gif
Britain Smith
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 12 2011, 08:11 PM) *

Cool site!

Just let me know who to pass ownership of your club to. We will have the ability to have multiple admins for a club soon. They don't all have to be motorsports specific events, we have the option of Social events on there aswell.

-Britain
DrifterJay
Just a thought.... On your search engine, you can search only by an exact city. Is there any way to implement a "within so many miles of" function? To make searches easier. I have not yet registered, so maybe searching gets easier after?

-Jared

QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Feb 12 2011, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 12 2011, 08:11 PM) *

Cool site!

Just let me know who to pass ownership of your club to. We will have the ability to have multiple admins for a club soon. They don't all have to be motorsports specific events, we have the option of Social events on there aswell.

-Britain

Britain Smith
Yep, ZIP code searching is on the list of improvements.

-Britain
ConeDodger
Registered! Great idea...
Britain Smith
Thanks Rob.

Spread the word, talk to your clubs and get them to sign-up.

We will do some sponsorship, incentive, marketing stuff soon.

-Britain
Britain Smith
Good things keep getting better, now the google map view for events lists the events at each venue. You can navigate the site is so many ways, there is no excuse to missing an event again.

IPB Image

Also, several event organizers requested the ability to have multiple admins for their club so that the autocross and the HPDE groups could manage their events independently. As an admin, you can now assign admin ability to anyone who is following your club.

IPB Image

If you haven't checked it, take a minute and search for events in your area. We have added several clubs and new events are being listed daily.

-Britain
Britain Smith
Here is another feature/user tip.

Are you new to an area or traveling across country and looking for a local club or event? Check out the new google map Club view on Where2Race. With over 120clubs listed so far and more adding content every week, there is bound to be an event to attend where ever you go.

Andyrew
Awesome!!

I pointed a friend to your site when he asked for a list of races in our area!
Britain Smith
Cool, thanks. Lots of new features coming and more events added everyday.

-Britain
Britain Smith
Not sure if you guys have had a chance to check out www.where2race.com recently, but there are now over 500 events across the country with more being added everyday.

In addition, there is now a live discovery feed on your dashboard that gives you updates on events that your friends are attending and lets you know when new events have been added by your favorite clubs and venues.

If you have logged on in a while, take some time to check it out. If there are clubs that you don't see listed or don't have events listed, drop a message to your club admin and let him/her know about this new site so they can get signed up.

It is free for clubs and free for drivers, check it out today and don't miss any opportunities to go racing this season.

-Britain
Andyrew
Britain,

Is there any way you could add a "watch" feature or something to events, so that it gets added to your personal calendar but it doesnt show you as attending? This way I can add events that im interested in and when I decide to attend something I can change my status to attending?

Otherwise there is no way of putting events on your calendar. (Like for instance, I want to put every event on my calendar within 2 hours driving distance, but there is no way im going to attend them all (I will manually put those events in my calendar).

Thanks!
Elliot Cannon
Great web site. Before my friend Howard died, we discussed taking a summer and driving to every Porsche event we could find across the country. I would still like to make a trip like that some day and this web site would be very helpful for planning an itinerary. Is it possible to add events like concours, swap meets, auto shows etc.? Maybe there are web sites that do that? I haven't seen any. Nice job Britain. This site will be useful to a lot of people. Your website might help people discover events that they wouldn't necessarily know about that are close enough for them to attend and/or participate in.
Cheers, Elliot
Britain Smith
I wanted to give you guys a little update on www.Where2Race.com and some of the exciting new features of the site. We now have over 600 events listed across the country and the site is getting substantial traffic daily. There are clubs in several parts of the country that have indicated that they had new participates who found information on the event thru Where2Race. In addition, we are working on adding site advertisers who will provided discounts and/or coupons to registered users of the site. Lots of exciting new features coming, don't miss out.

Now to the new features, first up is seamless integration with Facebook thru Public Comments on events, clubs, and venues. You can add comments and keep track of others comments on the site for upcoming events, this provides you a source of communication to event organizers and others who are attending events.

IPB Image

Probably the most exciting new feature is a personal "Discovery" feed that updates you on events your friends are attending, clubs and venues that your friends are now following, and comments that are made on events/clubs/venues that you are following. This will keep you up to date on what is happening throughout the racing season.

IPB Image

There is now a Help & Support section of the site that provides information explaining how the site works, how club organizers can add events, etc. We are updating this as new topic come up.

IPB Image

We have added the ability for Canadian clubs to list their events.

IPB Image

And finally, there is a new Site Referral system that allows you to invite your friends and fellow competitors to use the site via facebook, twitter, and good ol'fashion email. As an added bonus, we currently have a promotion going on that allows you to get a free Limited Edition Where2Race T-shirt if you refer 10 friends that register on the site. You have a unique referral URL that you can share and it will track those who come to the site.

IPB Image

If you have checked it out yet, what are you waiting for? It is free for clubs and free for driver, there is nothing to loose. Here is my referral ID so I can get a free t-shirt smile.gif http://www.where2race.com/invite/2bjM2Kzy

You can also follow us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/Where2Race) as we are always giving away Where2Race swag and have promotions periodically.

We have several new features on the table that we are working on and the more clubs that are listed the better as it helps cross promote everyone's events. Let me know if you have any new feature ideas or need help in getting clubs that you are affiliated with to list their schedule. Heck, if you can get your club to post their 2011 season schedule, I will send you free t-shirt or some Where2Race stickers.

Thanks,
Britain
ConeDodger
Britain,
Do you have stickers yet? I have removeable graphics on my car and would be happy to include it.
Saw your buddy Nieslony this last weekend. He's on 2 year old slicks and STILL fast! confused24.gif
campbellcj
Britain,

That is really cool! I remember about 10+ years ago I got frustrated by the lack of a central car/track event calendar and resorted to creating my own little static web page for SoCal. Without 'crowd sourcing' it was a big PITA to maintain the content just for a few clubs.

I don't see POC in there yet and will step up and admin that club if nobody else in an official capacity does (I'm not on the board or staff, just a regular member.)
campbellcj
I would also run stickers/decals if you make some.
Britain Smith
Hey guys, thanks for the response. I will have stickers ready next week, I can send you some.

Regarding POC, go ahead and add the club and events. You can also add additional admins if you would like.

Tell Steve hi for me!

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.