Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Cable Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
I spent the best part of an hour looking thru this board & The Bird for anything regarding the title. I found mooie moo-cho on the tube (and a site with pics that wouldn't open) but nada on the cable itself. Is this a learning experience to do?
Also, Yes, I will inspect the tube on both ends with hopes I don't have to weld anything cuz I don't wanna take out the carpet AGAIN! laugh.gif

........b
TheCabinetmaker
Bruce, cable replacement ain't that hard. Main thing is make sure you don't wrap it around the accelerator cable. A second pair of hands can help with the routing through the tunnel. Be sure to check the length of both cables when ya got em out. Some of the aftermarket(Terry cable) are slightly too long.

Curt
Gint
agree.gif with Curt. I did it without much help. If I did, you can Bruce. Just get in there and DO IT! Post questions that you come up with along the way here. We'll help you get through it.
maf914
agree.gif with Curt, too.

Be careful with the cable while routing through the tunnel. I've wound it around the accelerator cable before and you end up opening the throttle every time you depress the clutch. Wierd sensation! laugh.gif Plus you get to do the installation all over again!

But go ahead and jump in and do it. I start with the threaded cable end at the pedal positioned about halfway trough the clevis. Check the Haynes manual for this. If you leave too much length you may not have enough thread at the clutch wheel to adjust it properly. Of course the opposite could occur as well! wacko.gif

Mike
Porsche Rescue
I got mine wrapped around the accelerator a couple of times in the same car. It is EASY to do. Couldn't figure out why my clutch would slip when I mashed the gas while autocrossing my gray six.
Last time I straightened the mess out I used a dental mirror and flashlight to look back from the front of the tunnel. The twist is up front before they enter their tubes.
Bruce Allert
OK, I just read the Haynes method & it seems quite easy. "Pull the cable out the back & install is the reverse" I am wondering why you can't use the old cable as a "fish tape" & pull the new cable in as you extract the old one? That way there'd be no problems tangling with the throttle cable ...

Or is my ass sucking canal water rolleyes.gif

C'mon, you can tell me laugh.gif

.....b
TheCabinetmaker
nope, won't work that way. out the rear, in the rear.
Porsche Rescue
I haven't done it, but I think you could tie some heavy twine to the front of the old cable, then pull it out from the rear. Tie the twine to front of new cable and pull. Seems to me if the old cable wasn't twisted with the throttle the new one wouldn't be either. I would still use a light and mirror to check my work: do both cables run free to their tubes?

Actually, the problem more often occurs when you replace the throttle cable. It is thinner and easier to get wrapped around the clutch cable than the other way around. You end up in the same place though!
jdogg
Bruce-
When I did mine, I detached it at the pedal and tied a piece of heavy string to that end. I then pulled it out at the firewall, untied the string from the old cable, tied it to the new one, went back up front and pulled it back through the tunnel...absolutely no problems, came out and went back in the exact same route! Good luck! Have a Fat Tire for me when you finish! (no such thing out here, haha)
jdogg
Damn I type slow......
Bruce Allert
Ah-Ha clap56.gif I knew there had to be a "fish tape" way. beer.gif Here's to y'all rocking nana.gif

Looks like a piece O' Cake smoke.gif

............b drunk.gif
Porsche Rescue
Yeah, jdogg, but I just talk a good game, you actually did it. Always good when two people on this board give the same advice. Then it might even be right!
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(jdogg @ Apr 29 2004, 05:54 PM)
Good luck! Have a Fat Tire for me when you finish! (no such thing out here, haha)

ohmy.gif Oh man! I feel for ya. So you've never ever had a Fat Tire??? I had my first Fat Tire on Tap a few weeks ago & WOW beer.gif I'd send ya a couple but the last time I trid they asked all sorts of questions about what was in the box (and it is illegal) chair.gif
I'm going to get the cable tomorrow. Might spend Sunday taking the tranny out to do the clutch. Gotta be doin sumpin to the car... ya know cool_shades.gif

.....b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.