Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 shifter
split calipers,and removed pistons today.i am missing one of the tiny clips that sits just outside the outer adjuster lock nut i may need a different dental pic to get the clip off the inner adjuster. i have a curved pic got it started but it slipped back in. i am on a budget so i am doing this myself i have access to a sandblaster at work, but would prefer to clean the calipers at home.i was going to try cleaning them up with a wire wheel/sandpaper.i have a honing tool for bores, and emery cloth for pistons.any suggestions on cleaning up calipers/pistons.i am using the pmb/epstein article on facebook to help guide me. pray.gif
914 shifter
pic of pistons, and calipers cleaned up. i have some pitting on the calipers.is this acceptable :chow what is a good do it yourself treatment for the cylinder bores
clow
Looking good. Like you mentioned I had trouble getting the clip off the inside adjuster where I needed a new pick. Looking forward to struggling to put the clip back in. I too am at the same stage. I have the calipers all apart and am waiting on some new rebuild kits and parts from PMB smile.gif Should be in the mailbox in the next couple days. Eric was a great help and answered my questions through PM right away.

Lots of great references all around 914world.

Are you going to replate or paint the calipers?

Clow
914 shifter
QUOTE(clow @ Feb 14 2011, 06:44 PM) *

Looking good. Like you mentioned I had trouble getting the clip off the inside adjuster where I needed a new pick. Looking forward to struggling to put the clip back in. I too am at the same stage. I have the calipers all apart and am waiting on some new rebuild kits and parts from PMB smile.gif Should be in the mailbox in the next couple days. Eric was a great help and answered my questions through PM right away.

Lots of great references all around 914world.

Are you going to replate or paint the calipers?

Clow
i am going to get some local estimates on replating
Eric_Shea

My hero smilie_pokal.gif

Paint sucks and looks rice. Zinc is a sacrificial coating and will protect the calipers for another 30-40 years. Don't do anything with the bores. When they plate the calipers the bores will come out factory perfect. The sealing surface is the bore seal.

The reason you don't want to treat the bore (hone etc.) is, you will have a fresh steel on steel surface and, rust can for. Again, the plating bath will cure everything.
914 shifter
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 14 2011, 08:45 PM) *

My hero smilie_pokal.gif

Paint sucks and looks rice. Zinc is a sacrificial coating and will protect the calipers for another 30-40 years. Don't do anything with the bores. When they plate the calipers the bores will come out factory perfect. The sealing surface is the bore seal.

The reason you don't want to treat the bore (hone etc.) is, you will have a fresh steel on steel surface and, rust can for. Again, the plating bath will cure everything.

thank you Eric,i already honed/cleaned the bores lightly.i am looking for a good local shop to plate the calipers.
Eric_Shea
If you honed them before plating you're good. Plating will seal them back up again. wink.gif
914 shifter
after considering options rear calipers are off to PMB for tlc chowtime.gif
Eric_Shea
Naaaaaaa... we're just sending some plated cores. You still get to put them together and have all that fun!
914 shifter
QUOTE(esses62 @ Feb 15 2011, 07:28 PM) *

Way to go Hank aktion035.gif now how bout that bike

what about which bike? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.