Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the same old electrical issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
livinglobotomy
after reading for hours and trying all the remedies, I am still at a loss.

Situation is:

Symptoms: All lights work with the exception of the emergency flashers and right side turn indicators. ALL parking lights work (including right side.) All lights work appropriately when headlights are up or down (including right.)

When flasher is pulled, rapid clicking at relay occurs and turn signals and emergency flashers do not work. When right turn signal is on, rapid clicking at relay occurs and turn signals and flashers do not work. Pulling parking brake on or off has no effect on above.

Attempts: 1. All fuses were checked and replaced as a precaution. 2. All sockets were cleaned and all copper was pulled up for more positive seat on all bulbs. 3. All bulbs were replaced with all proper bulbs in proper places and checked and rechecked. 4. All wires to all lights were removed and reattached CORRECTLY per appropriate diagrams as seen on 914world AND pelican parts diagrams and checked and rechecked. 5. Reset button was pushed on master cylinder. 6. Two new relays were purchased (problem exists with either installed.) 7. Turn signal lever assembly was replaced at steering column. 8. Brake light switch at pedals was inspected and cleaned. 9. Parking brake switch was cleaned and inspected. No issues.

What am I missing?
SirAndy
QUOTE(livinglobotomy @ Feb 14 2011, 10:46 AM) *
What am I missing?

Good question ...

My only other guess would be a broken wire somewhere along the way.
Did you try to use a multimeter to verify current flow?

Start at the source and work your way towards the bulb.
If you have 12V at the fuse panel, trace it to the switch. If you have 12V there, trace it to the relay. If you have 12V there, trace it to the bulb in question.

You need to identify the actual problem first before you throw more parts and money at it ...
shades.gif

PS: welcome.png
Mike Bellis
Fast click indicates the flasher relay is not connected to the load. Make sure you lamp sockets are good and trace the wiring back.
whatabout1
Check the bulbs and if not that then check the voltage (and ground) at each bulb.

I would start with the r blinker 1st.

Bartlett 914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 14 2011, 01:12 PM) *

Fast click indicates the flasher relay is not connected to the load. Make sure you lamp sockets are good and trace the wiring back.

I thought it was the opposite indicating a short. I thought the load current (resistance) regulated the timer. The more current the faster the timer would cycle.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Feb 14 2011, 12:21 PM) *

I thought it was the opposite indicating a short. I thought the load current (resistance) regulated the timer. The more current the faster the timer would cycle.

Ever noticed how a blinker goes faster if one of the two bulbs is burnt out? shades.gif
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2011, 12:37 PM) *

Ever noticed how a blinker goes faster if one of the two bulbs is burnt out? shades.gif

agree.gif
bandjoey
I picked up a needle thin dremel bit and cleaned the insides of the wire female connectors. It was the only way to get inside the connector for good connections. Flash a light inside, and if like mine, they'll be grey green. Just my 2C. Good Luck
livinglobotomy
killing me. multimeter tests correctly with bulbs in, with bulbs out, both sides of fuses. problem happens when i disconnect the turn signal switch at the base of the steering wheel. both relays are aftermarket. could this be a problem? grasping here. what have i missed?
livinglobotomy
also.... any chance of the reset switch at the master being bad on the inside somehow? does this switch ever go bad?
Lennies914
QUOTE(markb @ Feb 14 2011, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2011, 12:37 PM) *

agree.gif

I know it sounds too simple but a broken bulb element will cause this simptom
Woody
Did you check all grounds including the ones for the bulbs?
jsayre914
i found your thread, and i did a search on other webistes. Seems to me that the hazard switch causes the most problems. I forgot if you replaced this item or not. It also seems that wires can come loose on the switch and create electrical gremlins.

see if this thread helps

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...e-have-one.html

good luck

Joseph
Spoke
One thing to keep in mind, the running lights (parking, headlights, side lights) operate on a different circuit than the turn signals.

The parking or running lights front and rear only share the ground wire with the turn signal part of the bulbs.

That your brake lights don't work may be related.

The wire diagram below shows the routing of wires for the turnsignals. Check the wiring especially on the right side that are not working.

Questions:
Do the left side turn signals work?

When the turn signal is on right side, do the front or rear lights light up?
dirk9141973
agree.gifI Had same problem found wires in socket crossed drove me nuts!! I also agree new bulbs
livinglobotomy
All new bulbs. All grounds tested good. I m missing something.
livinglobotomy
Right side turn signal produces very fast clicking(buzz if u want) in relay with no lights .
Spoke
Do the left side turn signals work?

When you put on the right turn signals, do either the front or rear turn signal lights work?

At this point, you don't need to try the 4-way flashers since the right side signals not working is common to both 4-way and right turn signals.

Try this test:
Get the flasher relay and disconnect the wires on 49A. These wires go to the right side signal lamps. Measure the resistance from this wire to ground under these conditions:

1) Flasher switch pulled.
2) turn signal stalk set to right turn signal

You should be measuring the combined resistance of both front and rear bulbs.

Then, disconnect the front bulb and re-measure both 1 and 2.

Then, disconnect the front and rear bulbs and re-measure both 1 and 2.

Let me know what you measure.

This circuit isn't rocket science. Look at the schematic above. It's really pretty simple. The difficulty is that there are hundreds of other wires running in all directions that makes following just a few wires at total nightmare.
SUNAB914
As possibly stated above, if one of your front turn signal bucket lights is not wired correctly, you will have all sorts of electrical problems. Get the AA tech tips books and double check the wiring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.