Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima Battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chandler1969
Does anyone have an opinion of Optima Batteries BlueTop® Deep Cycle Battery for 74 2.0?
Voltage: 12
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0°F: 800
Cranking Amps @ 32°F: 1000
Kirmizi
Do a search for Optima battery, seems like folks either love'em or hate'em.
I've got a red-top that hasn't given me any problems in almost five years.
Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Feb 14 2011, 12:20 PM) *

agree.gif Same here ...
Rod
I just fitted an Odyssey PC1200. It fits easily in the tray and has the terminals the correct way round.

I have had an optima fail on me before sad.gif So don't trust them.. Odysseys are vv expensive over here, but are known as the best so pay up....

One tip - If you don't want the Odysseys red case, get a Hawker Genesis battery instead - nearly the same tech in a black case which looks factory... and because your'e not getting an Odyssey sticker in the box saves ££ too..
orange914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2011, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Feb 14 2011, 12:20 PM) *

agree.gif Same here ...

agree.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 14 2011, 12:42 PM) *

I have had an optima fail on me before sad.gif So don't trust them..

from what gripes i've seen here is on a non daily driver. gel batterys don't seem to care for those conditions of sitting discharged. i've always kept a trickle charge on my red tops (one in an old mustang also) and had no problems
Cupomeat
I've heard anecdotal whispers of stories that you should not put a battery maintainer on an Optima battery. Has anyone ever heard of that, is it true?
WTF.gif
and why?

Other than that, I put one in my 993 and have been very happy with it. The 993 has a bit of a constant drain, so this battery is so much better than my old regular lead acid cell battery.
detoxcowboy
I had Red Top die 2 1/2 years into the 3 year warranty.. Worked great until I took it up North for freezing temps and it started slow dying then blam! 2 weeks dead, un-recharchable as tested by a battery shop could no longer hold a charge.. Did not like cold temps.. Will not buy another.. Expensive summer battery.. Crappy Warranty too.. I was offered $8 off my next one.. Whooopie!! The sighn of a good battery is it ithere when conditions are harsher than the norm, Optima failed in the snow.. Starts at the beach..
tradisrad
I've had one fail & it was only a year old. The second one seems ok.
carr914
Odyssey seems to be the new "In" Battery
windforfun
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Feb 14 2011, 01:03 PM) *

I've had one fail & it was only a year old. The second one seems ok.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

It seems to be happy with a trickle charger too.
whatabout1
I had a Red top in my seldom used bronco and it was drained dead several times.
Stereo left on.... CB on for a week... Inside light on (bad switch)......
After a couple yrs of this the Redtop gave up.

The yellow top (deep cycle/starting type) in my boat has taken the abuse for 4 yrs.

I'm thinking yellow when the hunk of lead in the 914 gives up.

IIRC, the main difference between the dual purpose yellow and blue is the blue has stainless connectors.
v82go

My red top is going on 5 years +1
flylarry
My red top has going strong going on 4 years without a problem. Last year after sitting for a week outside in the rain, the car wouldn't start, I crank and cranked for an hour - battery is still good! agree.gif
monkeyboy
I have two Odysseys in my truck to replace the two stock batteries. Even when my alternator failed, the Odysseys would run the truck for a few days before being too weak to start the big diesel.

I have run Optimas in a couple of vehicles. They don't seem to like to sit, and don't seem nearly as tough as the Odysseys. In So Cal I have a guy I buy from who takes good care of me. If I think there may be a problem, he takes care of it.

My only complaint with the Odyssey is that they don't make a battery for my streetbike.
t collins
QUOTE(orange914 @ Feb 14 2011, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 14 2011, 12:42 PM) *

I have had an optima fail on me before sad.gif So don't trust them..

from what gripes i've seen here is on a non daily driver. gel batterys don't seem to care for those conditions of sitting discharged. i've always kept a trickle charge on my red tops (one in an old mustang also) and had no problems

agree.gif Same here
black73
I think Optimas are good if they are kept fully charged. I've had one in my old Mustang for 6 years with no problems, still going strong without ever having to charge it.
However the one in my 914 , which I had fully discharged several times by leaving parking lights on , etc., lasted only about three years. After I got rid of it I found this article...

How To Charge an AGM Battery

...which left me wondering if I discarded it too soon. confused24.gif

BuddyV
I have a red top.... never had a problem.

I also bought a "Battery Tender" made specifically for gel batteries. Probably a way to get $5 extra off me, but when I can remember to attach it it seems to do the trick.

I'm sold on the Red Top.
mudfoot76
I have an Optima Yellow top, and two winters so far it has done just fine. No trickle charger on it either. Doesn't seem to mind sitting for months without being used. I was told that the red tops will not last very long with exposure to colder climates and infrequent use, but the yellows are supposed to be much more sturdy. My anecdotal evidence supports the longevity of the yellow top so far. YMMV beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
I had a Red Top that I let go dead. Battery never recovered and would not hold a charge after that. If you drive daily, the red would be fine. The Deep cycle would be my choice in the future. I say go for it.
smg914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Feb 14 2011, 12:56 PM) *

I've heard anecdotal whispers of stories that you should not put a battery maintainer on an Optima battery. Has anyone ever heard of that, is it true?
WTF.gif
and why?

Not true. They actually do better with a maintainer connected on a car that doesn't get used regularly.

GeorgeRud
I've had three Optimas over the years (two red top 34s and one red top 34R). One lasted almost 10 years with a maintainer on a very infrequently used car. Another made it only 5 years (OK I guess), but the latest 34R died after 2 years. I used the same type of maintainers on all the batteries, so I think that you kind of pay your money and pay your chances.

When I replace the 34R in the springtime, I think I'm just going to get a basic Interstate and be done with it. For the extra cost, I don't think the Optimas are worth the premium any more.
smg914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 14 2011, 07:16 PM) *

I've had three Optimas over the years (two red top 34s and one red top 34R). One lasted almost 10 years with a maintainer on a very infrequently used car. Another made it only 5 years (OK I guess), but the latest 34R died after 2 years. I used the same type of maintainers on all the batteries, so I think that you kind of pay your money and pay your chances.

When I replace the 34R in the springtime, I think I'm just going to get a basic Interstate and be done with it. For the extra cost, I don't think the Optimas are worth the premium any more.

To me, never having to worry about rust on the battery tray and the hell hole related to a lead acid battery is well worth the extra money for an Optima.
IronHillRestorations
I had one several years ago that lasted 10 years in an occasional use 914.
sharper
Recently my Optima red top was dead due to lack of use. My battery charger kicked into a "desulfation" mode first. After that cleared I had to charge it up several times. Each time it would hold more and more of the charge and now it is working just fine.
Tom
For your information, Optimas are lead acid batteries, not gel.
From their web site; Battery Model: 34
Part Number: 8002-002
Nominal Voltage: 12 volts
NSN: 6140 01 457 5296
Description: High power, sealed lead acid, engine starting battery
Battery Model: 34R
Part Number: 8003-151
Nominal Voltage: 12 volts
NSN: 6140 01 475 9357
Description: High power, sealed lead acid, engine starting battery
Physical Characteristics:
Plate Design: High purity lead-tin alloy. Wound cell configuration utilizing proprietary
SPIRALCELL® technology.
Electrolyte: Sulfuric acid, H2SO4
Case: Polypropylene
Color: Case: Dark Gray
Cover: “OPTIMA” Red
Group Size: BCI: 34

I've had mine (34R) 5 years, remove it every winter and keep it fully charged. So far, no problems
Tom
MikeSpraggi
I have had a Optima Yellow Top for 3 years of good service. Car was usually only driven at DE events and PCA and 914 World events. I would buy another at this point.
turboman808
I've used optima and made the switch to odyssey about 6-7 years ago. Really no complains about either one but it sure is nice to drop 20 or more pounds and have a good reliable battery at the same time.

Amazing how those little odyssey batteries work just as good as a full size battery.
detoxcowboy
agree.gif "When I replace the 34R in the springtime, I think I'm just going to get a basic Interstate and be done with it. For the extra cost, I don't think the Optimas are worth the premium any more.".......you got that right for the same price you can get 2 x 72 month batteries with 3 year free replacment and same cc cca stats.. 34r was recommended and also gave me issues..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.